Litigation Lateral Bonus Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Litigation Lateral Bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:58 am

I know there is a ton of money being thrown around right now at corporate laterals. Are litigation laterals getting signing bonuses too? In what amounts? I am particularly interested in mid-levels. Assume we are talking about major firms in major non-NYC markets (i.e. places with Sidley and Kirkland for Chicago) for groups that busy and actively advertising, although any data points are welcome. .

SGTslaughter

New

Re: Litigation Lateral Bonus

Post by SGTslaughter » Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 am

Bumping this, interested in this too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 am

Based on my tentative forays into the lateral mid-level lit associate market, it's not the same heat. The demand is just not there or as high as it is for corporate. I would love to be corrected or proven wrong however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 pm

mid-senior IP lit lateral, 50k signing bonus from v50.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm

I received a $20K signing bonus in 2018 when I lateraled to Kirkland as a junior associate. They were extremely busy, and in hindsight, I should have asked for more in exchange for ending my lateral search but it was more than my litigation peers were getting at the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm
I received a $20K signing bonus in 2018 when I lateraled to Kirkland as a junior associate. They were extremely busy, and in hindsight, I should have asked for more in exchange for ending my lateral search but it was more than my litigation peers were getting at the time.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 pm
mid-senior IP lit lateral, 50k signing bonus from v50.
How did you negotiate this? Was it offered to you at the first instance or did you have to ask? How did you ask? Who did you ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm

IP lateral from above: I framed it as whether they have any signing bonuses for associates that would have to forego the hours (for the usual bonus) accumulated up to this time of the year if they were to lateral now. Else, the associates would have to wait until they receive their usual bonus before they make a lateral move. It's a make-me-whole argument. Firms that have urgent needs for laterals don't want to wait, even if it's just for another 2-3 months.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 4:22 pm

This is the Kirkland lateral -- I just asked and they offered.

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Mon May 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm
IP lateral from above: I framed it as whether they have any signing bonuses for associates that would have to forego the hours (for the usual bonus) accumulated up to this time of the year if they were to lateral now. Else, the associates would have to wait until they receive their usual bonus before they make a lateral move. It's a make-me-whole argument. Firms that have urgent needs for laterals don't want to wait, even if it's just for another 2-3 months.
I did something similar. "I can just ride it out 4-5 more months and get a 50k check. I understand you'd prefer me to start now. Can you make me whole?" The firm was absolutely open to this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:22 pm
Seems like most other people framed it as a "make me whole" request. Did you just say, "give me more money"? What was your tact?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:42 pm
Seems like most other people framed it as a "make me whole" request. Did you just say, "give me more money"? What was your tact?
IP lateral again: I waited for my offer letter with the amount, and asked a follow-up question whether they have any signing bonus, as I noticed that my offer letter did not state any... Then go from there.

They either come back with an amount (like I just asked and received), or with a what-is-your-basis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I asked whether they would be willing to offer a signing bonus while noting that I had several other interviews lined up (this was true) and would make a decision after I did my due diligence. They then offered me the signing bonus, which was more than other litigation associates I knew changing firms were getting, and I accepted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I asked whether they would be willing to offer a signing bonus while noting that I had several other interviews lined up (this was true) and would make a decision after I did my due diligence. They then offered me the signing bonus, which was more than other litigation associates I knew changing firms were getting, and I accepted.
Can I ask about how much you received and your level? Also, what were the amounts that you heard they were giving out? The data points are less obvious for lit than for corporate...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”