Biglaw woes and lament of innocence Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WFGhallager

New

Biglaw woes and lament of innocence

Post by WFGhallager » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Would be nice...

If potential dating partners cold-emailed me as much as recruiters.

If lay people had a clue how impressive it is that I work at a V5.

If I didn't have to mention my first year salary for people to want to go on a date.

If that Uber driver didn't mistake me for a teacher rather than a lawyer just because I called an Uber while standing in front of a school. Disrespectful.

If second years didn't need to be told that I don't answer to them just because I'm a first year.

If other first years did answer to me, because I went to a higher ranked school than them.

If only the second years who went to a higher ranked school thought it was remotely appropriate to try to order me around.

If I could decide when work from home ends and not the partners.

Makes me want to lateral into dentistry.

Feel free to share your biglaw woes.

Silver

Re: Biglaw woes and lament of innocence

Post by 2013 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:41 pm

WFGhallager wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 pm
Would be nice...

If I didn't have to mention my first year salary for people to want to go on a date.

If that Uber driver didn't mistake me for a teacher rather than a lawyer just because I called an Uber while standing in front of a school. Disrespectful.

If second years didn't need to be told that I don't answer to them just because I'm a first year.

If other first years did answer to me, because I went to a higher ranked school than them.

If only the second years who went to a higher ranked school thought it was remotely appropriate to try to order me around.

Lol. You sound entitled as fuck.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 pm

WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

This is so cringey for so many reasons. I don’t have the energy to list them now.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:59 pm

I want to believe this is a joke, but maybe its not. If this is actually serious, I get the sense that your inadequacy complex is going to follow you no matter where your career takes you. Probably something to speak about with a therapist if you actually think some of this shit.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 pm

Seems like a pretty obvious joke (and a pretty funny one).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 pm

WFGhallager wrote:

If you work at a V5, shouldn't be a problem lateraling into dentistry.

General consensus is that V10 has strong lateral placement into dentistry (and even medicine, to a lesser extent). If you want to be a surgeon, then you really need to be coming from Wachtell, however.

If only T14s shared what % of their graduates successfully were able to lateral into dentistry by the 5- and 10-year post-graduation mark, lateraling would be so much easier and we wouldn't have to have so much guesswork. :lol:

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 pm
You just don’t know nowadays...

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 pm

I first thought this was really stupid but actually found it somewhat funny at second read.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 am

WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

I am sure this is a joke. But in case it's not, having a JD from a top law school and working at a V5 earning over $200,000 in your mid-20s won't ever get you laid. Having all of that and being hot will get you laid. If you are ugly or don't work out, you don't have any chance unless you are only going after gold diggers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 am

nerd1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 am
...working at a V5 earning over $200,000 in your mid-20s won't ever get you laid.
Can confirm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 am

NY, LA, SF, or DC —- which city is better for single young women lawyers and which one for single young men lawyers?

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 am
NY, LA, SF, or DC —- which city is better for single young women lawyers and which one for single young men lawyers?
Probably Tulsa.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 am

Barrred wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 am
nerd1 wrote:
...working at a V5 earning over $200,000 in your mid-20s won't ever get you laid.
Can confirm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am

nerd1 wrote:
WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

I am sure this is a joke. But in case it's not, having a JD from a top law school and working at a V5 earning over $200,000 in your mid-20s won't ever get you laid. Having all of that and being hot will get you laid. If you are ugly or don't work out, you don't have any chance unless you are only going after gold diggers.
I feel like it's less about salary and more about how you roll with it. Like, a completely averaging looking, totally average dude with a nice bank account in Flushing talking about his salary and JD at a bar won't really do a whole lot for casual hookups. But be the same 27 year old person, but with your own 1 bedroom in the west village who talks with that certain like bullshit-confidence-authority of a lawyer while on a Tinder date with some mid-20s girl and you'll probably get laid several times a week.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:51 am

publius365 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 pm
WFGhallager wrote:

If you work at a V5, shouldn't be a problem lateraling into dentistry.

General consensus is that V10 has strong lateral placement into dentistry (and even medicine, to a lesser extent). If you want to be a surgeon, then you really need to be coming from Wachtell, however.

If only T14s shared what % of their graduates successfully were able to lateral into dentistry by the 5- and 10-year post-graduation mark, lateraling would be so much easier and we wouldn't have to have so much guesswork. :lol:
The v10 may be able to lateral into dentistry, but they will never get those coveted bigrootcanal jobs.

Madden_Arps

New

Post by Madden_Arps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Pretty good. B+ trolling.

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 pm

I really love the spectrum-level obliviousness in this thread. Par for the course

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am
nerd1 wrote:
WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

I feel like it's less about salary and more about how you roll with it. Like, a completely averaging looking, totally average dude with a nice bank account in Flushing talking about his salary and JD at a bar won't really do a whole lot for casual hookups. But be the same 27 year old person, but with your own 1 bedroom in the west village who talks with that certain like bullshit-confidence-authority of a lawyer while on a Tinder date with some mid-20s girl and you'll probably get laid several times a week.
True that. But how you look matters the most. Casual dating is, I would say, 80~90% about looks. As someone who went to a top school and has been in biglaw for four years, I can confirm all this as I underwent a physical transformation over the years and went from a nerd to a good-looking, athletic man. But then some people do get turned on by their date's job and social status. So your job does matter a bit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:32 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 pm
I really love the spectrum-level obliviousness in this thread. Par for the course
The problem is, for every “spectrum” type person who would read the OP and miss blatant sarcasm or irony, there’s another spectrum type person who would sincerely think and/or post this kind of thing

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:57 pm

B-

Amusing but you lose points for equating “If I could decide when work from home ends and not the partners” with the rest of your list. That’s the only item that is a genuine woe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm

nerd1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 pm
NoLongerALurker wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

True that. But how you look matters the most. Casual dating is, I would say, 80~90% about looks. As someone who went to a top school and has been in biglaw for four years, I can confirm all this as I underwent a physical transformation over the years and went from a nerd to a good-looking, athletic man. But then some people do get turned on by their date's job and social status. So your job does matter a bit.
Hah. Certainly true, but I stand by the truth of the maxim "location location location", including w/r/t to likelihood of hookups.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:26 pm

NoLongerALurker wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 pm
nerd1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:19 pm
NoLongerALurker wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
WFGhallager wrote:
Would be nice...

Hah. Certainly true, but I stand by the truth of the maxim "location location location", including w/r/t to likelihood of hookups.
location is really the biggest thing. I went to law school in a non-city and it was so much easier to hookup with interesting, smart people in manhattan relative to during law school

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:32 pm
jimmythecatdied6 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 pm
The problem is, for every “spectrum” type person who would read the OP and miss blatant sarcasm or irony, there’s another spectrum type person who would sincerely think and/or post this kind of thing
This.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”