Am I getting pushed out of biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I getting pushed out of biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 pm

Anon for obvious reasons. I’m a junior associate (not first year) in biglaw. I have heard from other partners that one partner has been talking about me. A second partner had a talk with me about how “I used to have what it takes but I’ve lost it.” I have not seen any dip in hours. I am still billing 200+ months. The two partners previously mentioned still dump work on me. Am I getting pushed out?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Am I getting pushed out of biglaw?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm

That’s weird but probably not. No need to worry until hours drop. Then, you still have some runway until they really really drop. Then, you still have some runway until termination.

WFGhallager

New

Post by WFGhallager » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 pm
Anon for obvious reasons. I’m a junior associate (not first year) in biglaw. I have heard from other partners that one partner has been talking about me. A second partner had a talk with me about how “I used to have what it takes but I’ve lost it.” I have not seen any dip in hours. I am still billing 200+ months. The two partners previously mentioned still dump work on me. Am I getting pushed out?
just take on assignments nobody wants if hours get low

target_corp

New

Post by target_corp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:32 pm
I would polish your resume, call connections/headhunter, and start looking for greener pastures. Even if you're not getting pushed out (yet), that's a shitty work environment.

This will probably be easier if you are a third year (vs. second year)--not sure where the junior cut-off is anymore.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Feel like we need more background detail here. Is this all based on some hearsay-type game of telephone statement made without context...or is there something more?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm

OP here. Thanks everyone. A partner that I have a good relationship with told me via a phone call that one of the partners was talking about me and to make sure my work is flawless so that partner has nothing to complain about in the future. The other partner called me directly and told me that quoted statement.

I make “dumb” (in my opinion) mistakes (i.e., typos, leaving off people on emails, etc.), but I am always available and responsive, and never turn work down. All of this honestly came as shock to me based on my annul reviews and general feedback, but maybe I’m being naive.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm
OP here. Thanks everyone. A partner that I have a good relationship with told me via a phone call that one of the partners was talking about me and to make sure my work is flawless so that partner has nothing to complain about in the future. The other partner called me directly and told me that quoted statement.

I make “dumb” (in my opinion) mistakes (i.e., typos, leaving off people on emails, etc.), but I am always available and responsive, and never turn work down. All of this honestly came as shock to me based on my annul reviews and general feedback, but maybe I’m being naive.
It definitely sounds like you have two (?) partners directly in your corner, so that’s good.

This being said, you shouldn’t make typos. Personally, I spent my first six months creating relationships with the most competent administrative-type people in my whole office. I give each of these (two) people 500 dollar Xmas gifts, I shoot the shit with them, discuss their kids, lives, etc. regularly. Every time I have any written product that matters, I ask one of them to proof. And they nail it. Even if I didn’t really like/respect them as people, this would be worth it. Add in the fact that they are genuinely my work-friends, and it’s a good sitch. See if you can do that.

publius365

New

Post by publius365 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:07 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

It definitely sounds like you have two (?) partners directly in your corner, so that’s good.

This being said, you shouldn’t make typos. Personally, I spent my first six months creating relationships with the most competent administrative-type people in my whole office. I give each of these (two) people 500 dollar Xmas gifts, I shoot the shit with them, discuss their kids, lives, etc. regularly. Every time I have any written product that matters, I ask one of them to proof. And they nail it. Even if I didn’t really like/respect them as people, this would be worth it. Add in the fact that they are genuinely my work-friends, and it’s a good sitch. See if you can do that.
Great advice.

If you're a junior, what makes you valuable in the eyes of many (most?) partners is the ability to deal with a high volume of work without dropping the ball, especially on minor things. (1) Being responsive and (2) not turning down work are two great traits to have as a junior associate — but (3) triple-checking for unnecessary mistakes (typos, proper email recipients) is also important, and may be why some partners are unhappy with you.

attorney589753

Bronze

Post by attorney589753 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

It's really impossible to say from the outside but I think the most likely explanation is they are trying to squeeze you to be a loyal foot soldier for them, they saw you make some mistakes and see it as an opportunity to "straighten you up" or something. Ultimately if people are still going back to you for work then you are making them money and presumably doing good enough. I would also use your internal barometer to assess: Are you improving, making the same mistakes multiple time, gathering up skills and experience and knowledge, etc. Should be able to tell by second or third year whether you are adding value to teams/projects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”