Is it normal not to have received any swag from my firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it normal not to have received any swag from my firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm

I know this is probably dumb, but is it normal that I have received 0 swag from my v20? All my friends have been getting apparel, wine/liquor, bonsai trees, etc. I've gotten zip.

That being said, which firm has the best/worst swag? lmao

Bosque

Gold

Re: Is it normal not to have received any swag from my firm?

Post by Bosque » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm

The best swag I've ever received from my firm are these little pieces of paper with presidents on them. While they are pretty by themselves, you can also exhange them for other stuff you want!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Firm swag seems detached from Vault rankings. There are V10 firms that don't give you shit and V75 firms that shower you with free stuff.

Probably depends on how much money and effort the recruiters want to put into selecting, purchasing, and distributing branded firm stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Bosque wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm
The best swag I've ever received from my firm are these little pieces of paper with presidents on them. While they are pretty by themselves, you can also exhange them for other stuff you want!
Unfortunately, all those pieces of papers have presidents who are dead. That makes me sad, so I prefer giving those papers away in exchange for other stuff I want as often as I can to avoid feeling sad.

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Honestly, your firm is probably going to fold within a year if this is the current state of things. I heard Dewey's demise was well known by its associates well before the industry was looped in when the firm gave out quarter zips while their peer firms received patagonia jackets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm

Does your firm's name happen to start with a D and end in an E?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm
Debbie!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm
OP's firm is actually the state of Delaware

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm

At my v50, a group of us summer associates got together and pitched in to get all the SA these custom logo fleece hoodies. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... d592M6AWbK

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm
At my v50, a group of us summer associates got together and pitched in to get all the SA these custom logo fleece hoodies. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... d592M6AWbK
Lol. I’d unironically rather wear one of the pictured sweatshirts that says “LOGO”, than a sweatshirt with my firm’s actual logo on it.

Not to yuck your yum.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Lol. I’d unironically rather wear one of the pictured sweatshirts that says “LOGO”, than a sweatshirt with my firm’s actual logo on it.

Not to yuck your yum.
What do you think is worse: wearing gear with your firm’s logo, or wearing gear with your law school journal’s logo?

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Wed May 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Obligatory S&C logo facing outward reference

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to yuck your yum.
What do you think is worse: wearing gear with your firm’s logo, or wearing gear with your law school journal’s logo?
If you wear the firm logo from where you summered to law school, and the law review logo to the firm, I'd say its equally bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am

Bosque wrote:
I strongly prefer pieces of paper with people who weren’t presidents. I’d be sad if I got paid in Washingtons.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am

notinbiglaw wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am
Bosque wrote:
I strongly prefer pieces of paper with people who weren’t presidents. I’d be sad if I got paid in Washingtons.
That would be amazing. The sheer volume to take to the club.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
In my defense, my journal one semester randomly decided to get really high-quality quarter-zips that was aesthetically pleasing. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm

I have received 0 communication since march from my v60

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:21 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
In my defense, my journal one semester randomly decided to get really high-quality quarter-zips that was aesthetically pleasing. :?
No defense. No matter the quality, you look like a square wearing it in all circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm
That’s odd. Have you reached out to a recruiting/HR contact to see what’s up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m in a satalite office, so I’ve been giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I plan on sending an email tomorrow AM. Starting to get frustrating but I have all the pertinent details of dates etc so I don’t want to come off as too pushy yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m in a satalite office, so I’ve been giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I plan on sending an email tomorrow AM. Starting to get frustrating but I have all the pertinent details of dates etc so I don’t want to come off as too pushy yet.
Wait, if you've got the info on when you are starting, what do you need to hear?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm

Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to yuck your yum.

If it's decent gear that fits the occasion, I DGAF if it's my school, journal, or firm logo on it. I'm secure enough in myself to know I'm not trying to flaunt the logo and am wearing the thing because it's convenient; and the people who draw conclusions about others based on the logos on their clothes are the types of people I'm not gonna bother myself with. Life is short, folks.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to yuck your yum.

If it's decent gear that fits the occasion, I DGAF if it's my school, journal, or firm logo on it. I'm secure enough in myself to know I'm not trying to flaunt the logo and am wearing the thing because it's convenient; and the people who draw conclusions about others based on the logos on their clothes are the types of people I'm not gonna bother myself with. Life is short, folks.
There is a difference between using a nice fleece half-zip that just happens to have a firm logo on it because it is comfy and you are cold, and stealing 20 firm-branded notepads before leaving at the end of the summer so you can make sure everyone sees you taking notes 3L year exclusively on Cravath branded stationary.

rapmasterg

New

Post by rapmasterg » Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 pm

I would retake.

Joachim2017

Bronze

Post by Joachim2017 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Bosque wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to yuck your yum.

There is a difference between using a nice fleece half-zip that just happens to have a firm logo on it because it is comfy and you are cold, and stealing 20 firm-branded notepads before leaving at the end of the summer so you can make sure everyone sees you taking notes 3L year exclusively on Cravath branded stationary.

Sure, I guess? My point was a little broader. If I see someone during 3L taking notes on a Cravath-branded notepad, my thought isn't going to be: "he is using that notepad so that everyone can see he worked at Cravath." Rather it's going to be: "he is using that notepad because it was free, and why go out and get and pay $3 for a notepad when there's a free one available right there."

Like, why not choose to give that person the more charitable interpretation? It's so much less toxic.

Maybe it's because I can put myself in that person's shoes. I can see myself taking a notepad from my summer job (esp when there are boatloads there and no one objects) and later using it in class during 3L. If there are people in my class who form opinions about me because they see me using that Cravath notepad, so much the worse for them: I don't care to know those people, and their opinions aren't going to matter as much to me, because they will be informed in such shallow ways -- ways that ultimately say more about them than about me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”