Is it normal not to have received any swag from my firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
feminist.supporter

New

Re: Is it normal not to have received any swag from my firm?

Post by feminist.supporter » Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Bosque wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Lol. I’d unironically rather wear one of the pictured sweatshirts that says “LOGO”, than a sweatshirt with my firm’s actual logo on it.

Not to yuck your yum.
What do you think is worse: wearing gear with your firm’s logo, or wearing gear with your law school journal’s logo?

If it's decent gear that fits the occasion, I DGAF if it's my school, journal, or firm logo on it. I'm secure enough in myself to know I'm not trying to flaunt the logo and am wearing the thing because it's convenient; and the people who draw conclusions about others based on the logos on their clothes are the types of people I'm not gonna bother myself with. Life is short, folks.
There is a difference between using a nice fleece half-zip that just happens to have a firm logo on it because it is comfy and you are cold, and stealing 20 firm-branded notepads before leaving at the end of the summer so you can make sure everyone sees you taking notes 3L year exclusively on Cravath branded stationary.

Sure, I guess? My point was a little broader. If I see someone during 3L taking notes on a Cravath-branded notepad, my thought isn't going to be: "he is using that notepad so that everyone can see he worked at Cravath." Rather it's going to be: "he is using that notepad because it was free, and why go out and get and pay $3 for a notepad when there's a free one available right there."

Like, why not choose to give that person the more charitable interpretation? It's so much less toxic.

Maybe it's because I can put myself in that person's shoes. I can see myself taking a notepad from my summer job (esp when there are boatloads there and no one objects) and later using it in class during 3L. If there are people in my class who form opinions about me because they see me using that Cravath notepad, so much the worse for them: I don't care to know those people, and their opinions aren't going to matter as much to me, because they will be informed in such shallow ways -- ways that ultimately say more about them than about me.

"Like, why not choose to give that person the more charitable interpretation? It's so much less toxic."

You, my dear sir, are too kind for this world, having such a tolerant view. No, people generally are toxic, angry, jealous, anxious, and hateful, with only small hints of genuine kindness and good here and there.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol. I’d unironically rather wear one of the pictured sweatshirts that says “LOGO”, than a sweatshirt with my firm’s actual logo on it.

Not to yuck your yum.
What do you think is worse: wearing gear with your firm’s logo, or wearing gear with your law school journal’s logo?

If it's decent gear that fits the occasion, I DGAF if it's my school, journal, or firm logo on it. I'm secure enough in myself to know I'm not trying to flaunt the logo and am wearing the thing because it's convenient; and the people who draw conclusions about others based on the logos on their clothes are the types of people I'm not gonna bother myself with. Life is short, folks.
There is a difference between using a nice fleece half-zip that just happens to have a firm logo on it because it is comfy and you are cold, and stealing 20 firm-branded notepads before leaving at the end of the summer so you can make sure everyone sees you taking notes 3L year exclusively on Cravath branded stationary.

Sure, I guess? My point was a little broader. If I see someone during 3L taking notes on a Cravath-branded notepad, my thought isn't going to be: "he is using that notepad so that everyone can see he worked at Cravath." Rather it's going to be: "he is using that notepad because it was free, and why go out and get and pay $3 for a notepad when there's a free one available right there."

Like, why not choose to give that person the more charitable interpretation? It's so much less toxic.

Maybe it's because I can put myself in that person's shoes. I can see myself taking a notepad from my summer job (esp when there are boatloads there and no one objects) and later using it in class during 3L. If there are people in my class who form opinions about me because they see me using that Cravath notepad, so much the worse for them: I don't care to know those people, and their opinions aren't going to matter as much to me, because they will be informed in such shallow ways -- ways that ultimately say more about them than about me.
Yeah, not what I said. Let me make it plainer. There is using a notepad that happens to have a logo on it because it was free, and there is throwing out all your previous note pads, stealing enough for the year, constantly walking around with one in your hand facing out to make sure everyone can read the logo, and refusing to share paper because you don't want to give the impression that your firm would stoop to hire any of these plebeians you have to stomach for another year.

If it's someone you shoud be making fun of, it's not going to be a tough call.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 pm

If I saw someone writing on a fucking notepad during 3L year instead of coasting and planning trips online, I’d be judging them for that.

motojir

New

Post by motojir » Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm
At my v50, a group of us summer associates got together and pitched in to get all the SA these custom logo fleece hoodies. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... d592M6AWbK
The Chinese have truly destroyed the vice of materialism. They made every product so cheap that you can now see its innate worthlessness. Good spiritual lesson for the swag thirsty OP.

https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=smug

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 pm

I got a messenger bag from my 1l summer gig (a partner gave one to people that worked for him specifically). I carried it to my 2l summer before someone pointed it out.

I am just cheap. I still have like 10 water bottles, collected over many events and summer gigs, in my kitchen. Even my most used duffel bag is SWAG from undergrad summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm

I got a messenger bag from my 1l summer gig (a partner gave one to people that worked for him specifically). I carried it to my 2l summer before someone pointed it out.

I am just cheap. I still have like 10 water bottles, collected over many events and summer gigs, in my kitchen. Even my most used duffel bag is SWAG from undergrad summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 am

Firm-branded portable power bank, received out of the blue

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm

motojir wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:14 pm
At my v50, a group of us summer associates got together and pitched in to get all the SA these custom logo fleece hoodies. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... d592M6AWbK
The Chinese have truly destroyed the vice of materialism. They made every product so cheap that you can now see its innate worthlessness. Good spiritual lesson for the swag thirsty OP.

https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=smug
Damn. Profound.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Bosque wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 pm
Joachim2017 wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Joachim2017 wrote:
Prudent_Jurist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not to yuck your yum.

Yeah, not what I said. Let me make it plainer. There is using a notepad that happens to have a logo on it because it was free, and there is throwing out all your previous note pads, stealing enough for the year, constantly walking around with one in your hand facing out to make sure everyone can read the logo, and refusing to share paper because you don't want to give the impression that your firm would stoop to hire any of these plebeians you have to stomach for another year.

If it's someone you shoud be making fun of, it's not going to be a tough call.
Cravath associate here: if anyone has a Cravath notepad, they went to a conference room to steal them. The normal notepads you get if you ask your secretary are not branded so anyone using a Cravath branded notepad made a specific choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 am

Are you supposed to send thank you notes/acknowledge receiving swag/gifts? I’ve been fortunate enough to get a couple rounds of things from the firm I’m summering at and sent a thank you to my recruiting contact the first time, but wasn’t sure if I should subsequently or if it’s unnecessary. Each time I get something it comes with a generic note “from recruiting”, FYI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”