Bankruptcy Slow as Hell Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bankruptcy Slow as Hell

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:35 pm

So . . . I work at one of the big bankruptcy shops. Third year associate coming off 2 year clerkship. Work in NYC. Work is slow as hell. Is this normal? 6 months ago it was busy as hell. Now it's dead. Like it's not just me too. I contacted my buddies and they feel the same. Cap markets and M&A is crazy busy and bankruptcy is just super slow right now. Do others feel this way? I mean it's weird. I'm used to being busy. I know bankruptcy is countercyclical but..........

polareagle

Bronze

Re: Bankruptcy Slow as Hell

Post by polareagle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:35 pm
So . . . I work at one of the big bankruptcy shops. Third year associate coming off 2 year clerkship. Work in NYC. Work is slow as hell. Is this normal? 6 months ago it was busy as hell. Now it's dead. Like it's not just me too. I contacted my buddies and they feel the same. Cap markets and M&A is crazy busy and bankruptcy is just super slow right now. Do others feel this way? I mean it's weird. I'm used to being busy. I know bankruptcy is countercyclical but..........
I'm not in bankruptcy (or even corporate), but doesn't this make a ton of sense? There's easy money at low rates and tons of investors looking for returns wherever they can find them (including "junk" bonds offered by companies in precarious positions). Sure, plenty of small businesses and restaurants have gone bankrupt, but what's the last big one that did--Brooks Brothers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:02 pm

With the continuing unlimited QE and valuation bubble, any piece-of-shit company can get cheap money (you even see zero coupon convertible bonds out there now which is jack shit crazy). Just be patient, restructuring will pick up when the QE slows down / when the valuation bubble bursts so the convertible bonds holders are out-of-money / when the newly issued bonds are mature and these piece-of-shit companies realize they still can't pay back the principal or even the coupon. While a lot of bonds are mature in 2022/2023, shit may hit the fan sooner in the next one or two quarters.

And you can clearly tell from above how most of restructuring lawyers like me talk

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm also at one of the big shops--don't worry. This is the reverse of last year when cap markets/M&A were dead and BK was overwhelmed. A number of cases that would have filed in Q1 '21 accelerated to '20 b/c of the pandemic (and management freaking out), so the pipeline isn't as full, but it's building. The work will come.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm also at one of the big shops--don't worry. This is the reverse of last year when cap markets/M&A were dead and BK was overwhelmed. A number of cases that would have filed in Q1 '21 accelerated to '20 b/c of the pandemic (and management freaking out), so the pipeline isn't as full, but it's building. The work will come.
Assuming you are at the biggest of the shops, there was a lot of re-tooling of M&A associates to have them help with restructurings. Is the same happening to RX associates to help with SPACs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:34 pm

[repeat post]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming you are at the biggest of the shops, there was a lot of re-tooling of M&A associates to have them help with restructurings. Is the same happening to RX associates to help with SPACs?
not the anon above, this is anon from the third post: yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm

Yes, bankruptcy is very quiet. Wondering how the largest firms like K&E and Weil are coping with their 50+ associates in New York alone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Yes, bankruptcy is very quiet. Wondering how the largest firms like K&E and Weil are coping with their 50+ associates in New York alone
I know a lot of RX associates (even some more senior ones) are being temporarily repurposed into doing cap markets work

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 pm

I’m in bankruptcy at one of the big firms and on pace for a 3,000+ hour year, but I know others in my group are slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 pm
I’m in bankruptcy at one of the big firms and on pace for a 3,000+ hour year, but I know others in my group are slow.
You at one of the two large debtor firms? (KE/Weil)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just wondering out of curiosity, what are your weekly, monthly hours like? Grueling hours with no life from the start of the year with no breaks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Just wondering out of curiosity, what are your weekly, monthly hours like? Grueling hours with no life from the start of the year with no breaks?
I am at a non-KE/Weil V10. This year has basically been pretty steady ~65 hour weeks with some fluctuation. Basically just wake up and work till I sleep during the week with some weekend work. It’s not dissimilar to my experience in restructuring throughout a lot of my career tbh and I’d sort of gotten used to it, but at this point I’m feeling pretty burnt out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arca9

New

Post by Arca9 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I know a lot of RX associates (even some more senior ones) are being temporarily repurposed into doing cap markets work

Rx mid-level here at one of the top creditor shops (DPW/PW/Milbank) - many, if not all of the midlevels here, have had to help out cap markets in some capacity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Incoming summer at one of the creditor-side shops...sounds like I shouldn’t plan on getting to touch RX work? If there’s not a ton of billable work going around, what does RX BD look like - I know (e.g.) Weil has a restructuring blog but the other firms don’t.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Arca9 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Rx mid-level here at one of the top creditor shops (DPW/PW/Milbank) - many, if not all of the midlevels here, have had to help out cap markets in some capacity.
I'm at a big Debtor shop (Weil/KE). It's slow. Slower than a herd of snails traveling through peanut butter. Don't worry my fellow bankruptcy associates, a big recession is coming :twisted:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:36 pm
Arca9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a big Debtor shop (Weil/KE). It's slow. Slower than a herd of snails traveling through peanut butter. Don't worry my fellow bankruptcy associates, a big recession is coming :twisted:
What makes you convinced it's coming.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Arca9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Add 1.5 years to whatever timeline you think is coming for filings. That's how it's been historically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arca9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Add 1.5 years to whatever timeline you think is coming for filings. That's how it's been historically.
Are you excited about this prospect given you work at Weil/KE? (not saying it's good to welcome misery or business failing - it simply is). What does this mean for you and for the firm? Asking because Im an incoming SA at one of those Weil/KE firms looking to get into BFR. Thank you!

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arca9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you excited about this prospect given you work at Weil/KE? (not saying it's good to welcome misery or business failing - it simply is). What does this mean for you and for the firm? Asking because Im an incoming SA at one of those Weil/KE firms looking to get into BFR. Thank you!
Just a heads up that calling restructuring “BFR” is exclusively a Weil thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Would associates at a big debtor shop (Weil/KE) be forced/expected to help out other corporate groups if Rx is slow? Could they help out litigation instead? I am joining one of these firms and have zero interest in corporate outside of restructuring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OsamaJerry

New

Post by OsamaJerry » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Man from Nantucket wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Arca9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just a heads up that calling restructuring “BFR” is exclusively a Weil thing.
Ooooooooooo you've been busted. I'm not excited about the prospect. That was more facetious. But, having a good amount of work is good. That's how you get better. Having it slow is not good (unless you were so overworked that you need a break). It's good to find a middle ground.

OsamaJerry

New

Post by OsamaJerry » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm
Would associates at a big debtor shop (Weil/KE) be forced/expected to help out other corporate groups if Rx is slow? Could they help out litigation instead? I am joining one of these firms and have zero interest in corporate outside of restructuring.
Some associates will be moved to help out. Usually not the new ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 pm

Just heard rumors of KE NSP RX firings - can TLS confirm? Rumor suggested race based, but hoping that is just salacious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 pm
Just heard rumors of KE NSP RX firings - can TLS confirm? Rumor suggested race based, but hoping that is just salacious.
Not surprising given KE nature

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”