Bereavement Leave Hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bereavement Leave Hours

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:08 pm

I may need to take leave for a week or so for bereavement in the coming weeks. My firm has an hours requirement for our bonuses (special and annual). The firm has been very supportive of taking as much time off as needed, but I haven’t been able to find anywhere how bereavement leave is treated.

Is it treated the same as vacation (you still need the X number of hours annually) or parental leave (reduced hours required for bonus)? This won’t affect whether I take leave or not, but this will definitely affect how much time I take off.

Anonymous User

Re: Bereavement Leave Hours

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:08 pm
I may need to take leave for a week or so for bereavement in the coming weeks. My firm has an hours requirement for our bonuses (special and annual). The firm has been very supportive of taking as much time off as needed, but I haven’t been able to find anywhere how bereavement leave is treated.

Is it treated the same as vacation (you still need the X number of hours annually) or parental leave (reduced hours required for bonus)? This won’t affect whether I take leave or not, but this will definitely affect how much time I take off.
Far as I know, bereavement billable credit is not a thing in the industry. Very happy to be proved wrong with some examples, but at least my firm doesn't give it. That said, if you miss your hours by like 40 or something, I would make sure you note in your self assessment if you have one the berevement circumstances, even if you don't get official credit.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:08 pm

Ask your firm.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Just one data point, but I took an extended bereavement leave and got a full bonus. Although my firm does not have an hours requirement.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:47 pm

My firm treats it like leave and you get credit for it (or that was my understanding from my discussion with HR).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:57 pm

I was eligible for bereavement leave at my v50. Counted towards billable hours. You get 40/year and I used about half when a family member passed away.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm

I took bereavement leave after a loss in family. Very close family member and firm was incredibly supportive. I took about two weeks off; and firm counted those hours in a way that does not impact my bonus eligibility - so to qualify for full bonus, I now only need about 90% of the typical hours requirement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”