Question about COVID Lateral Process Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about COVID Lateral Process

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm

So I'm scheduled to have a first-round interview next week with a V100 firm in Chicago. Surprisingly, it will be a one-on-one with the practice group leader. After which, if it goes well, apparently I'll meet with the rest of the team.

Is this normal? I thought you'd usually send a lower associate for the initial interview to scope out the candidates and not potentially waste time winnowing out the herd. I know I shouldn't read tea leaves but does anyone have thoughts on this?

Anonymous User

Re: Question about COVID Lateral Process

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:13 pm

This is completely normal. Even before covid, I never interviewed with an associate aside from the lunches at the end of the interview.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. However, you got the interview, so they just already like you enough. Good luck!

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 pm

I'd agree that this is normal. Recently lateraled to a large firm in Chicago and met first with the Office and practice group leader. After that went well, had another round with associates and partners in the group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 am

Associate at amlaw100 who does lots of lateral interviews for our firm. Nearly all interviews go to a few partners first (usually office and practice group head and maybe another) then to select associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 am

I've only had lateral screening interviews with partners, and typically they've been with the practice group head. Lateral hiring is taken much more seriously than OCI; they're not going to let associates screen first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:20 am

OP here. Everyone, thank you for the insight, as I have never served on hiring committees before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 pm

What's usually the process after the screener? Just normal call backs?
How are people fitting those into their schedule with work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:46 pm

Mid-level in a niche area in the midst of the process now. First touch is head of that group/partner who most needs the help. If they like you, you'll interview with more people - in my experience, a mix of partners and associates (and counsel, depending on practice).

I use a non-work computer for the interviews and have my work laptop up next to me, sometimes there's a minute or two to check things between calls. I'm never carefully monitored so interview days are just a little light on hours, but I doubt those get noticed as my hours tend to fluctuate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”