1L SA transferring office for 2L SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA transferring office for 2L SA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:07 pm

Wondering if anyone has experienced this and could shed light. Incoming 1L SA at V10 firm. Want to stay at this firm long term but also want to switch from satellite office to main office in NYC for 2L SA. How difficult would it be assuming median grades at T14? Anecdotally the V10 NYC office will occasionally dip to median at my T14 but not regularly. But how true is the notion that "once you're in, you're in"?

Thanks for any insight.

lawbear2022

New

Re: 1L SA transferring office for 2L SA

Post by lawbear2022 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 pm

I can't say for certain how frequently this occurs, but I think it's doable. Your grades/school rank are going to be less important than what you do this summer. My advice would be: don't neglect the office in which you are based this summer but try to get some work from NY partners (which should be easier if your program is virtual). If you make good connections, it will be easier to make the switch,

Also, at my 1L SA firm the return offer was office-specific, so you may want to talk to recruiting before the end of the summer and express your desire to switch.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”