How do you stay focused day to day? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do you stay focused day to day?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:05 pm

For the past 3-4 months I noticed my work product hasn't been up to my usual level and my motivation in general for this job is dipping. I read about the "itch" after two years in big law (https://www.vault.com/blogs/vaults-law- ... e-a-change). I am in my third year now and can definitely relate to a lot of this. I find myself just disengaged from the work and losing interest. I thought I was burnt out from year end 2020 but I went on two vacations in January and it just seemed to turn me off even further.

The weird part is I will have days where I am extremely motivated and on task getting things done, making plans to improve my work product and my substantive knowledge, etc, but I rarely follow through with it a few days later. Just came off a 120% utilization month and I felt motivated throughout despite the stress and annoyance of long hours, but now I have about 6-7 hours of work a day and I cannot get around to doing it. Anyone else struggle with this? How do you push through? How do you keep yourself engaged and motivated? I want to pursue partner and see how it goes for the next few years, but its so far away that it doesn't drive me day to day.

legalpotato

Bronze

Re: How do you stay focused day to day?

Post by legalpotato » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 pm

I spend 10 minutes before the start of each day meditating and visualizing my workday. I then create a quick personal checklist of items to get done for the day based on my visualization to keep me on track. I will force myself to take 5 minute breaks at the top of each hour where possible, and do another 10 minute meditation session in the middle of the day to evaluate and re-adjust my workday goals. Around mid afternoon, I will Cocaine

nahumya

Bronze

Post by nahumya » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:29 pm

In my experience, about 10% of associates/partners can stay consistently focused throughout the day for stretches of days. Everyone else does their best, but there are often dips. Cutting out caffeine and hitting the gym can help. We are not built to do focused mental work for 12 hours a day.

target_corp

New

Post by target_corp » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 pm

I don't/it's not possible.

But seriously, take a vacation. (Or leave, if no debt.)

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:23 pm

target_corp wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 pm
I don't/it's not possible.

But seriously, take a vacation. (Or leave, if no debt.)
Even if you have debt, leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”