Lateral Bonus Repayment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Bonus Repayment

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 pm

For those of you who received a signing bonus and a “guaranteed” year-end bonus when lateraling but then left your new firm during the “lock-up” period to go in-house (to a client or otherwise), what were your experiences with the repayment of the bonus(es)? Was the repayment for both bonuses or just the signing bonus? Did your firm expect lump sum (and how quickly did the payment have to be made) or give pay back over time as an option? My offer letter only includes the repayment language in the signing bonus paragraph (i.e. if you leave, you must repay THIS bonus (singular) but seems a little vague (signing bonus paragraph follows guaranteed bonus paragraph)) but I can see a world where the firm would push for repayment of both.

Repayment of bonus(es) is not happening in the same tax year in which I received the bonus(es), so I would have to repay the full amount of the bonus(es) even though I only received the bonus(es) net of taxes (this is what makes things a little interesting from a repayment perspective since the taxes were a sizable amount).

I lateraled within the last year or so but have a really nice in-house opportunity on the horizon. My lock up expires toward the end of the year unfortunately and I would need to start well before then. Just trying to weigh what financial steps I’ll need to take if I go for the in house opportunity.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Re: Lateral Bonus Repayment

Post by lolwutpar » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm

The only type of money I've had locked up was moving expenses. I've never had guaranteed annual bonus or signing bonus subject to a clawback.

Realistically, especially if you're close to the end, I can't imagine a firm will try to claw it back, especially if you're going in house (potential future client), but then again, I didn't think firms would lock you up anyway, so maybe a firm that would isn't the best to test.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:15 pm

I went in-house and the firm subjected me to clawback repayment for both bonuses (but my offer letter was clear this was what would happen). Also separate tax years so full repayment was required.

I’d have gladly paid them twice that amount if I had to, fuck that place. Life is infinitely better now. 8)

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm

Are you going in-house to a firm client? I'd imagine that might make a significant difference as to the likelihood they'll ask for repayment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:15 pm
I went in-house and the firm subjected me to clawback repayment for both bonuses (but my offer letter was clear this was what would happen). Also separate tax years so full repayment was required.

I’d have gladly paid them twice that amount if I had to, fuck that place. Life is infinitely better now. 8)
Yea my offer letter is anything but clear so I guess ambiguity is construed against the drafter?
Excellent117 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm
Are you going in-house to a firm client? I'd imagine that might make a significant difference as to the likelihood they'll ask for repayment.
It wouldn’t be an existing firm client but definitely a potential client based on size of deals and type of work. I would also be the person with the say on which outside counsel gets hired.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Bumping this thread. The in-house position that I am considering to accept is for an existing client of the firm (v10, if that matters), and the lock-up period for my signing bonus ($30k - 70k range) expires in 5 months (I lateralled to this firm earlier this year). Do firms usually enforce clawback provisions in these types of situations?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 pm
Bumping this thread. The in-house position that I am considering to accept is for an existing client of the firm (v10, if that matters), and the lock-up period for my signing bonus ($30k - 70k range) expires in 5 months (I lateralled to this firm earlier this year). Do firms usually enforce clawback provisions in these types of situations?
Nobody knows the answer, especially if you're not going to tell us which firm. But you can talk to a partner and explain your situation and NEGOTIATE (use those lawyer skills) for no clawback.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”