Fenwick SF Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fenwick SF

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 pm

Anyone have insight on Fenwick and their SF office? Culture, work/life balance, in-house exit opportunities? Thinking about lateraling. Thanks!

attorney589753

Bronze

Re: Fenwick SF

Post by attorney589753 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:39 am

Feel free to PM me

yowzabobawza

New

Post by yowzabobawza » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:41 pm

attorney589753 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:39 am
Feel free to PM me
Have a CB with Fenwick and would be interested to hear about it, but TLS won't let me PM you. Would you mind reaching out? Thanks!

yowzabobawza

New

Post by yowzabobawza » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:27 pm

yowzabobawza wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:41 pm
attorney589753 wrote:
Feel free to PM me
Have a CB with Fenwick and would be interested to hear about it, but TLS won't let me PM you. Would you mind reaching out? Thanks!
Thanks for PMing me. TLS won't let me PM you back so I put my questions below. Can you PM me your answers? Feel free to answer as many as you want. Thank you!

1. How is the lit dept for people without a science background? It seems like the main split is between IP/LS and securities.
2. How is the culture/organization of the firm? Do associates feel like partners treat them as fungible? How much of an emphasis does the firm place on training/investing in associates?
3. Do you feel like you and you colleagues have a life outside of the firm?
4. How does the firm look at people without a strong CA connection who want to live in SF?
5. Any quirks of the firm (good or bad) that wouldn't be apparent by online research/talking to people?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:25 am

yowzabobawza wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:27 pm
yowzabobawza wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:41 pm
attorney589753 wrote:
Feel free to PM me
Thanks for PMing me. TLS won't let me PM you back so I put my questions below. Can you PM me your answers? Feel free to answer as many as you want. Thank you!

1. How is the lit dept for people without a science background? It seems like the main split is between IP/LS and securities.
2. How is the culture/organization of the firm? Do associates feel like partners treat them as fungible? How much of an emphasis does the firm place on training/investing in associates?
3. Do you feel like you and you colleagues have a life outside of the firm?
4. How does the firm look at people without a strong CA connection who want to live in SF?
5. Any quirks of the firm (good or bad) that wouldn't be apparent by online research/talking to people?
Not other guy but also a SF Fenwick attorney (and I'm lit).

1. We have way more patent lit and I like the patent work/patent litigators more. We have securities, employment, IPC, and antitrust too as other options. You can do patent lit without a science background with 0 repercussions if you are up for it and our lit group is extremely underrated there. Other stuff is fine and we do some cool work but again I prefer the patent group.

2. It is free market. The partners I have worked for are mostly very nice though depending on the team you are in you can end up working more with associatez because the partners are too busy to be involved in the day to day. In terms of training, honestly you learn mostly by doing but you can get substantive experience very quickly and I did quite a lot even as a first year (including attending trial though this is extremely rare). It will depend on who you work with though and some are better than others.

3. The patent lit group bills the most. Juniors generally have it easier. I rarely work weekends and people are generally nice/understanding as long as everything that needs to get done is. Filings are occasionally tough but that is a general lot thing and timelines are predictable.

4. I don't think we care at all about ties. I had none to SF specifically though I did other parts of CA and people seem pretty flexible about office swapping.

5. Nothing that I can think of aside from lit (especially patent) rankings being misleading. We do some top tier work there and ironically our biggest rainmakers are in lit despite the ECVC focus of the firm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”