Hinshaw & Culbertson? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hinshaw & Culbertson?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:40 pm

Interviewing in large market satellite office, not Chicago. Any insight into the firm? clients or work they do, culture, etc.?

agv5678

New

Re: Hinshaw & Culbertson?

Post by agv5678 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Their 2L Summer Associate pay is $21 an hour. Do you really need any other information?

ExpOriental

Bronze

Post by ExpOriental » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:45 pm

agv5678 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm
Their 2L Summer Associate pay is $21 an hour. Do you really need any other information?
Lots of shitty assumptions being made here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 pm

OP here. I'm a midlevel, not concerned with salary points - happy with the amount I've negotiated. More interested in practice strengths, clients, reputation, partnership prospects, culture. Anyone besides the miserable 2L above?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 pm

Their DTLA office is extremely disorganized but has some very genuinely nice people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 pm
OP here. I'm a midlevel, not concerned with salary points - happy with the amount I've negotiated. More interested in practice strengths, clients, reputation, partnership prospects, culture. Anyone besides the miserable 2L above?
I wouldn't waste my time with that firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am

sparty99 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to press, but could you go into more detail? I have actually managed to land a (much needed) interview with them and am curious. Older TLS posts don't seem too hard on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 am
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry to press, but could you go into more detail? I have actually managed to land a (much needed) interview with them and am curious. Older TLS posts don't seem too hard on them.
I interviewed for a summer position when I was in law school for the Minneapolis office. My friend also did and he ultimately got the job. From what he said, the firm is historically an insurance defense firm and that still carries through with their client base, etc. They brand themselves as a regional biglaw firm, but my impression is that it's still basically an ID firm with better window dressing. They also no-offered my friend and the other summer associate--they call the position a "summer associate" but I got the impression that it's really just a law clerk job. I don't have any information as to salary, but they did have nice ish offices and the culture seemed pretty decent. Not sure OPs situation--I assume when you say "much needed" interview that you are out of a job or will be soon. In that case I think it would be a good option depending on the pay because a job is a job and it's biglaw (or biglaw adjacent). But if you are lateralling from like a V5 or something it's probably lower tier than you were expecting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I interviewed for a summer position when I was in law school for the Minneapolis office. My friend also did and he ultimately got the job. From what he said, the firm is historically an insurance defense firm and that still carries through with their client base, etc. They brand themselves as a regional biglaw firm, but my impression is that it's still basically an ID firm with better window dressing. They also no-offered my friend and the other summer associate--they call the position a "summer associate" but I got the impression that it's really just a law clerk job. I don't have any information as to salary, but they did have nice ish offices and the culture seemed pretty decent. Not sure OPs situation--I assume when you say "much needed" interview that you are out of a job or will be soon. In that case I think it would be a good option depending on the pay because a job is a job and it's biglaw (or biglaw adjacent). But if you are lateralling from like a V5 or something it's probably lower tier than you were expecting.
That's very helpful and in line with my expectations. I really appreciate the added context, so thank you! I've heard it's decent high-volume litigation experience. And yeah, I really need a job haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's very helpful and in line with my expectations. I really appreciate the added context, so thank you! I've heard it's decent high-volume litigation experience. And yeah, I really need a job haha
This is OP. Not the above poster. This is really helpful, thank you. I'm coming from regional biglaw but the main draw for me is my practice area, which does typically have insurance clients (product liability), so trying to determine if the practice is high(ish) level or not, even if it still carries the ID moniker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 pm
Their DTLA office is extremely disorganized but has some very genuinely nice people.
can I DM you?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It is a large national insurance defense firm. I would only work there if you are starting off or are unemployed. I would only work there for 1 to 3 years. You will get deposition, trial, and motion practice experience. They do decent products liability work. But if you already in big law, I don't see why you would go there. It is the type of firm that you work at for a couple of years to get actual litigation experience then you leave to trade up and get real big law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”