2021 Special Bonuses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2021 Special Bonuses

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 am
I agree with the motivations here to rank firms that give big bonuses higher, but really, in the short term there is only an incentive to rank your own firm a 10 and every other firm 1. Even if you hate your firm, it's going to be on your resume. It's kind of confusing to me why people would take the survey seriously.
Even if they actually let you rank your own firm, what kind of psycho thinks like this? You're gonna lie about your opinion of a hundred different firms so that your extremely, extremely marginal contribution to the average can boost your firm a spot or two, and you think that will reflect to any kind of perceivable degree on your ability to lateral down the line?

Multiple people at my firm--associates, mind you, not even recruiting--have told me not to say anything negative to interviewees, summers or juniors about the firm because "we want to keep good juniors around." Fuck that. I'm not a pawn in the firm's Ponzi scheme. My dignity is worth more than a lie to any of them, much less every single one I come across. What's gonna happen when everyone you lied to finds out you're full of shit?

Whenever I see a dodgy post about a specific firm on here I usually think it's just someone who has drank the Kool-Aid (there are definitely plenty of those everywhere). But sometimes in the back of my head I've wondered if someone doesn't even believe their own bullshit and is saying something, or leaving something out, purely for purposes of self-promotion. Thanks for confirming those kinds of people are actually on here, shitting up the forum.
The same type of psycho that takes a survey about prestige of law firms in the first place? I guess I am grappling with why anyone would finish it other than for unintended reasons (drag other firms or give bonus-giving firms a shout out). I am a 4th year and have never finished it or thought about it for very long which is I guess why I didn't know you can't rank your own firm (makes sense). I don't think my position with respect to the vault survey is in conflict with how you propose to talk to interviewees. I am totally honest with summers and interviewees, because they're, you know, people, and not a dumb survey about prestige.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:35 pm

People in the V10 care absolutely about the vault survey and so likely diligently fill it out. However imagine being an attorney outside of the V100 and spending time thinking about if Cravath or Davis is truly deserving of a 6 or a 7. Come on.

It's an optional feelings survey with massive self selection issues and is probably marginally more useful than a poll on this website.

cornerstone

Bronze

Post by cornerstone » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 pm
The same type of psycho that takes a survey about prestige of law firms in the first place? I guess I am grappling with why anyone would finish it other than for unintended reasons (drag other firms or give bonus-giving firms a shout out). I am a 4th year and have never finished it or thought about it for very long which is I guess why I didn't know you can't rank your own firm (makes sense). I don't think my position with respect to the vault survey is in conflict with how you propose to talk to interviewees. I am totally honest with summers and interviewees, because they're, you know, people, and not a dumb survey about prestige.
Don't those same interviewees/summers you say are, "you know, people," rely on that very survey you want to rig when picking a firm? I guess from that we must conclude that people who rely on Vault are not, in fact, people. Glad we're being consistent here.

I think you're making your point about the utility of the survey prove too much. Just because you think it's a waste (it very well may be) doesn't mean you're justified in abusing it for everyone else. Sure, you can do that if you want, but I don't think you'll get any approval from Monochromatic Oeuvre or the other reasonable members of this forum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Just dropping in to say that K&S, a firm with $1.5+ billion in revenue and $3.5+ million in PPEP, still has not announced special bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Just dropping in to say that K&S, a firm with $1.5+ billion in revenue and $3.5+ million in PPEP, still has not announced special bonuses.
Associates are not happy although we were told informally that bonuses are coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Associates are not happy although we were told informally that bonuses are coming.
Where/when did they say this? I work there and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Not at Quinn, but just saw they matched...kinda? Seems weird, and you only get market if you are at 2100 or over for the previous 12 months. But they are doing larger payments sooner.

I dunno, seems kinda meh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto. Did they say anything about payment date, hours thresholds, etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Seconded. I have not been told anything, formally or informally. The income partners I've asked don't know diddly, and the equity partners I feel comfortable asking are in different offices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 pm

lolwutpar wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with the motivations here to rank firms that give big bonuses higher, but really, in the short term there is only an incentive to rank your own firm a 10 and every other firm 1. Even if you hate your firm, it's going to be on your resume. It's kind of confusing to me why people would take the survey seriously.
Even if they actually let you rank your own firm, what kind of psycho thinks like this? You're gonna lie about your opinion of a hundred different firms so that your extremely, extremely marginal contribution to the average can boost your firm a spot or two, and you think that will reflect to any kind of perceivable degree on your ability to lateral down the line?

Multiple people at my firm--associates, mind you, not even recruiting--have told me not to say anything negative to interviewees, summers or juniors about the firm because "we want to keep good juniors around." Fuck that. I'm not a pawn in the firm's Ponzi scheme. My dignity is worth more than a lie to any of them, much less every single one I come across. What's gonna happen when everyone you lied to finds out you're full of shit?

Whenever I see a dodgy post about a specific firm on here I usually think it's just someone who has drank the Kool-Aid (there are definitely plenty of those everywhere). But sometimes in the back of my head I've wondered if someone doesn't even believe their own bullshit and is saying something, or leaving something out, purely for purposes of self-promotion. Thanks for confirming those kinds of people are actually on here, shitting up the forum.
I'm always pretty honest with summers/juniors, to the point of telling them "If you get placed in X group or get stuck working exclusively with Y partner, I'd look for a new job ASAP". No point in hiding the ball.
Same here. At my previous firm, I told the summer I was having lunch with that there are firms that will give him better opportunities. I was actively looking for new positions and was close to securing a lateral offer. So I started to just say whatever I wanted to summers and juniors. Unless you actually like your firm, just be honest about your firm to others. Mind you, when you are a first year that's just starting out, most of you will like your firm. That's why in recruiting events, juniors are most heavily represented. That's natural. I concluded my previous firm was not right for me and started looking from my second year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Seconded. I have not been told anything, formally or informally. The income partners I've asked don't know diddly, and the equity partners I feel comfortable asking are in different offices.
[Same anon as above] A buddy of mine was discussing bonuses for his situation and was told by people who definitely know that K&S will match. This did not surprise him or me, but it's annoying that the firm has not announced already. We probably lost tens of thousands of dollars in associate time from associates constantly refreshing TLS and ATL. I guess the equity partners are thinking that the delayed bonus cycle justifies a delayed announcement and payment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Some firms (including my previous firm) give you incentive to fill those out because there's a part of the survey where they let you talk about your current firm. Part 1 was about answering questions relating to your experience at your current firm, and part 2 was about the rankings. My previous firm had prizes for those that took the survey. So during my first year, I filled it out just out of curiosity, and during my third year, I filled it out hoping I might get a prize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know K&S's latest ranking by PPEP? I don't have a subscription to AmLaw. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know K&S's latest ranking by PPEP? I don't have a subscription to AmLaw. Thanks.
Who cares?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am

Sackboy wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who cares?
+1 seriously...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:24 am

cornerstone wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't those same interviewees/summers you say are, "you know, people," rely on that very survey you want to rig when picking a firm? I guess from that we must conclude that people who rely on Vault are not, in fact, people. Glad we're being consistent here.

I think you're making your point about the utility of the survey prove too much. Just because you think it's a waste (it very well may be) doesn't mean you're justified in abusing it for everyone else. Sure, you can do that if you want, but I don't think you'll get any approval from Monochromatic Oeuvre or the other reasonable members of this forum.
I think we will just fundamentally disagree that there is not a real difference between telling a summer that the job can suck, that XYZ partner is a piece of shit, that it's only worth doing the job if you're willing to give up XYZ, etc. and taking seriously a survey about prestige.

But on behalf of all attorneys and law students everywhere I would like to thank you for upholding the dignity of the vault survey and providing verifiable data about which firms are actually most prestigious instead of just making it up. It's important that firm prestige be accurate so that job applicants can make informed decisions about things that will not affect their actual experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who cares?
+1 seriously...
+2. Am hoping the post above that an announcement is forthcoming is true, but I haven't heard anything either, for whatever that's worth.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am
Sackboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Who cares?
+1 seriously...
+2. Am hoping the post above that an announcement is forthcoming is true, but I haven't heard anything either, for whatever that's worth.
Judging by calendars, there is a committee meeting today to make it official.

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am

Can someone repost the google doc with all the bonus information for all the firms in the v100? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm

K&S announced. End of June and November. 1950 hours minimum (annualized) for each half year period, with opportunity to catch up at end of year. Also, moving Atlanta and all other offices to NY scale and reducing yearly billable hour requirement for bonus to 1950. Anything above that will get above-market bonus.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm

K&S Atlanta take home per hour comp head and shoulders above NYC Cravath. If I didn't already submit my survey, they would be getting a 10 rating and Cravath a 1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am
Can someone repost the google doc with all the bonus information for all the firms in the v100? Thanks!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... edit#gid=0

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Seems like Perkins Coie matched but discriminates based on location..

"1950 hours, annualized (only associates in major market offices (Austin, Bellevue, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, San Diego, San Fran, Seattle, and WDC) will receive market bonuses; associates in Anchorage, Boise, Madison, Phoenix, and Portland will receive half market bonuses)" - from ATL

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:52 pm
Seems like Perkins Coie matched but discriminates based on location..

"1950 hours, annualized (only associates in major market offices (Austin, Bellevue, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, San Diego, San Fran, Seattle, and WDC) will receive market bonuses; associates in Anchorage, Boise, Madison, Phoenix, and Portland will receive half market bonuses)" - from ATL
Half market bonus in Anchorage is a lotta salmon.

Tokyo_Rose

New

Post by Tokyo_Rose » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:45 pm
K&S Atlanta take home per hour comp head and shoulders above NYC Cravath. If I didn't already submit my survey, they would be getting a 10 rating and Cravath a 1.
You have clearly never worked at K&S ATL in M&A.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”