Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:06 pm
Anyone in S&C lit?
I was in lit at S&C until fairly recently and can honestly say that I didn't (personally) have a negative experience with any of the partners I worked with. I have heard second-hand, though, that there are folks in the LA office you want to avoid.
I've heard some unpleasant things about working there, but they seemed like very specific situational type things that could happen at any firm (i.e. one super shitty associate ruining an associates life.)

I will say everyone I know who laterally from S&C was either trying to escape its ultra Type-A try hardy culture or was a super Type-A try hard. Not that they were mean or shitty people (and that Type of personality can be nice to work with on certain cases) but not the type of culture I imagine everyone loves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:44 pm
Happy to get this back on track – noticed plenty of negatives about STB M&A partners. Does this carry over into cap markets as well?
Yes, Art Robinson has screamed at juniors for the most ridiculous things. STB is generally all around awful. It’s so quiet because the associates are terrified of the partners and too busy billing to get the PPP up. Another name that is notorious is Benjamin Smith in funds - also known to scream at his mid level and juniors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Happy to get this back on track – noticed plenty of negatives about STB M&A partners. Does this carry over into cap markets as well?
Yes, Art Robinson has screamed at juniors for the most ridiculous things. STB is generally all around awful. It’s so quiet because the associates are terrified of the partners and too busy billing to get the PPP up. Another name that is notorious is Benjamin Smith in funds - also known to scream at his mid level and juniors.
How is STB in their satellite offices? LA and Palo Alto?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you are looking for a “chill firm”, STB isn’t it. Those people in your law school classes who never spoke but got better grades than you work at STB. A very bizarre culture. Satellite offices are all packed with partners or associates from the mothership on the corporate side who got pushed out or moved for personal reasons so same vibe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:18 pm
Any intel on Latham LA?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you are looking for a “chill firm”, STB isn’t it. Those people in your law school classes who never spoke but got better grades than you work at STB. A very bizarre culture. Satellite offices are all packed with partners or associates from the mothership on the corporate side who got pushed out or moved for personal reasons so same vibe.
Are there reps about specific partners in the STB Palo Alto office? I have interacted with a handful (Kevin, atif) but couldn’t get a read

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are there reps about specific partners in the STB Palo Alto office? I have interacted with a handful (Kevin, atif) but couldn’t get a read
STB Palo Alto is widely regarded as one of the worst firms in the west coast so…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Literally what was said above, they are all former New York associates or partners, so expect to get completely rocked. There is nothing to read into. Your lucky Rich Capeluto is gone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone in S&C lit?
I was in lit at S&C until fairly recently and can honestly say that I didn't (personally) have a negative experience with any of the partners I worked with. I have heard second-hand, though, that there are folks in the LA office you want to avoid.
I've heard some unpleasant things about working there, but they seemed like very specific situational type things that could happen at any firm (i.e. one super shitty associate ruining an associates life.)

I will say everyone I know who laterally from S&C was either trying to escape its ultra Type-A try hardy culture or was a super Type-A try hard. Not that they were mean or shitty people (and that Type of personality can be nice to work with on certain cases) but not the type of culture I imagine everyone loves.
Oh, I'm definitely not saying that I thought S&C had a good culture. I felt that all the partners I worked with were fair and reasonable and seemed like decent people. No screamers. On the other hand, everyone seemed burned out, miserable, and exhausted most of the time. There was very little mentorship in my experience and I did deal with one rough senior associate (arbitrary Monday morning deadlines, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Nicky Jatana at Jackson Lewis LA. I fortunately never worked for her, but I know at least 5 associates who left the firm mostly because of her. The many, many stories I heard about her are horrific.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:53 pm
Nicky Jatana at Jackson Lewis LA. I fortunately never worked for her, but I know at least 5 associates who left the firm mostly because of her. The many, many stories I heard about her are horrific.
Heard this too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:30 am

Any dirt on White & Case Houston?

xoxoBlairWaldorf

New

Post by xoxoBlairWaldorf » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:10 pm
Rosemarie Ring at MTO.
She just lateraled to GDC. Can you say more?
Interested in this. Can you DM?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 pm

If anyone has insights on L&E partners in the San Francisco Bay Area, would love to hear them! (If good, would love to know too!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:37 am

Thoughts on Goodwin DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:11 am

Any insight on Cleary NY's M&A partners?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
STB Palo Alto is widely regarded as one of the worst firms in the west coast so…
Do not go to STB PA. Worst office of any biglaw firm on the west coast hours and culture-wise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Do not go to STB PA. Worst office of any biglaw firm on the west coast hours and culture-wise.
Anybody know what the DPW NorCal office is like? Seems like a small office with nice-ish people, but I'm guessing that some of the NY sweatiness rubs off on their CA office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Robots working with Robots on NYT. Don’t be surprised when your blown up between 4-7 AM daily because NYC STB is up firing on all cylinders

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone in S&C lit?

Oh, I'm definitely not saying that I thought S&C had a good culture. I felt that all the partners I worked with were fair and reasonable and seemed like decent people. No screamers. On the other hand, everyone seemed burned out, miserable, and exhausted most of the time. There was very little mentorship in my experience and I did deal with one rough senior associate (arbitrary Monday morning deadlines, etc.).
That's roughly the vibe I got from my summer; conversely, any partners who you would recommend trying to work with?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Former associate at STB satellite here: can confirm this, 100%. This was actually a perfect description. My satellite was loaded with departures from the mothership. Most bizarre, unpleasant culture you could imagine. There are a few good people but it was disheartening how hard they were to come by.

Whatever the opposite of "chill" is...that's STB.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:11 am

What about non share partners who just became non share partners but pretend to be equity partners? Thinking of you “Chris” christopher burwell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Former associate at STB satellite here: can confirm this, 100%. This was actually a perfect description. My satellite was loaded with departures from the mothership. Most bizarre, unpleasant culture you could imagine. There are a few good people but it was disheartening how hard they were to come by.

One of the funnier dynamics at the mothership is how resentful other offices are of the mothership. It’s like they hate NYC for giving them deals to do. Miserable place to work with uniquely out of touch and terrible people. Dick Beattie is a legend however. No amount of weirdo all lower case partner emails can change that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:03 am

Anyone got dirt on Wilson sonsini, West coast?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

One of the funnier dynamics at the mothership is how resentful other offices are of the mothership. It’s like they hate NYC for giving them deals to do. Miserable place to work with uniquely out of touch and terrible people. Dick Beattie is a legend however. No amount of weirdo all lower case partner emails can change that.
I assume the lower case letter partner emails is a power move to let associates know where they stand (i.e., not worth the effort of changing phone to upper case), but maybe I am looking at it the wrong way?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”