Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:31 pm
Someone give me a notoriously bad partner in KE restructuring please! Chicago if possible but I'll take NY too.
TBH, none really (Chi and NY). The partners that I had particularly unpleasant experiences with (which weren't that bad in any event) are no longer there. Folks may have individual experiences with certain SP/NSPs, but as a whole, everyone I've worked with has been fine.

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Post by BrowsingTLS » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm

AmberPlain wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm
I was a member of the staff for many years, Dave always treated staff with the utmost courtesy and respect (I mean that sincerely). You always knew exactly where you stood and he was not at all rude or condescending (not once ever in my long career there). His work was clear and easy to follow. He definitely challenged the lawyers on every level imaginable. Some days it was hard to watch some crumble. I believe he believed you either had it - or you didn't. He was going to find out. If you didn't have it, you couldn't work for his team as a lawyer or a staff member for more than a few days/weeks. Thankfully, I had it, I never once had a problem working for him. I also know a few lawyers who, although completely stressed out from his methods, rose to the occasion and were successful on his team. They were taken to task often and were definitely prepared for any other team. One example would be he surprised attorneys with meetings, they'd show up, he'd be busy and say come back in 20 minutes, lather, rinse, repeat. Then he'd leave for the night and not tell them. I saw how difficult this was when it was 10/11pm and attorneys had several hours of work ahead of them and were running back and forth for meetings that never happened or last minute assignments. It certainly kept them thinking on their feet. So many attorneys used to ask me to monitor his comings and goings because they were always on eggshells. Of course, I kindly and dutifully did so in secret (always be kind to staff, they'll be kind to you). I'd walk into the office to "use the printer" or shoot the breeze with someone just to see if he was there as the green light on IM wasn't always reliable. I, personally, liked him, I liked always knowing exactly where I stood. I wouldn't describe him as friendly, but he always used please and thank you and was very professional.
You literally created a TLS profile and this is your first post. A next level troll or a oddly worded, almost artistic attempt to defend bad behavior by a specific person. The second and only other post you made as of this time then deflects by vaguely critizing a different person.

Nothing at all suspect there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:40 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:19 pm
AmberPlain wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:11 pm
One example would be he surprised attorneys with meetings, they'd show up, he'd be busy and say come back in 20 minutes, lather, rinse, repeat. Then he'd leave for the night and not tell them. I saw how difficult this was when it was 10/11pm and attorneys had several hours of work ahead of them and were running back and forth for meetings that never happened or last minute assignments. It certainly kept them thinking on their feet. So many attorneys used to ask me to monitor his comings and goings because they were always on eggshells.
You offered an absolutely fabulous example of why somebody would consider him a nightmare to work for. Lawyers, particularly in biglaw, don't need some petulant child wasting their time jerking them around with fake meetings. Anybody who thinks that sort of behavior is acceptable in a professional environment and not extraordinarily disrespectful towards the people who work for him has no business managing other people.

If I set a meeting with another person, I will be there on time, regardless of whether they're my boss, client, or summer intern. If I can't be there for any reason, I'll let the other party know ASAP and either have somebody cover for me or reschedule the meeting. That's what courteous, mature professionals do. Please, do not make the mistake of acting like the man you're defending if you ever manage other people.

I agree. I worked with a Kirkland NY SP (in lit) who was similar in terms of setting meetings with artificial deadlines like this, making associates stay late for little reason, making changes with little-to-no advance warning or time management, etc. It's absolutely not acceptable.

I'll take a minor career hit or even lateral if I was forced to work for a partner like this. And what's the upside? Maybe 1 powerful person in my corner when time comes for partner? I'd still then be yoked to that terrible person and that person would treat me even more like an indentured servant. No fucking way.

Even with the most recent market tightening, even in Big Law, associates should not feel pressured that they have to tolerate, indulge, or in any way put up with this shit, or similar to it.

Also, you can tell it's the person, not the job, that creates this kind of environment -- it's not like stuff like this is just another necessary component of Big Law. I worked with another partner who was bad with time management and often had to reschedule meetings, but you could tell he was genuine, would apologize, felt bad, and was actually considerate of associates as human being.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:40 pm
I agree. I worked with a Kirkland NY SP (in lit) who was similar in terms of setting meetings with artificial deadlines like this, making associates stay late for little reason, making changes with little-to-no advance warning or time management, etc. It's absolutely not acceptable.
There are a couple of candidates for this, but my guess is Solum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Correct. Did one matter with him, vowed never to work with (for) him ever again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm

V10. Healthcare group (I would say which one but it would out me as this group is very small.) Good lord! The practice group head is pathological. Literally have group therapy sessions with associates and junior partners about how they and another partner treat everyone in the group. Yelling. Denigrating others on internal calls and on calls with third parties over nothing. (Sometimes on internal calls about completely nonbillable matters.) I have definitely dealt with my share of demanding partners as a lateral, but the practice head and this other partner treat the associates like hostile opposing counsel and not teammates. When I finally broke down to complain to a colleague, the person's response was, "Did they make you cry on a Zoom call, too? They have done that to everyone so far." It is so toxic. Everyone (fairly) talks about how brutal biglaw hours can be, but those hours feel like hell on earth when you have a dysfunctional team, especially when you cannot escape the dysfunctional members.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm

V10. Healthcare group (I would say which one but it would out me as this group is very small.) Good lord! The practice group head is pathological. Literally have group therapy sessions with associates and junior partners about how they and another partner treat everyone in the group. Yelling. Denigrating others on internal calls and on calls with third parties over nothing. (Sometimes on internal calls about completely nonbillable matters.) I have definitely dealt with my share of demanding partners as a lateral, but the practice head and this other partner treat the associates like hostile opposing counsel and not teammates. When I finally broke down to complain to a colleague, the person's response was, "Did they make you cry on a Zoom call, too? They have done that to everyone so far." It is so toxic. Everyone (fairly) talks about how brutal biglaw hours can be, but those hours feel like hell on earth when you have a dysfunctional team, especially when you cannot escape the dysfunctional members.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm
especially when you cannot escape the dysfunctional members.
What's preventing you from lateraling?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm
especially when you cannot escape the dysfunctional members.
What's preventing you from lateraling?
Definitely considering lateraling; just trying to stick it out for 1 year (almost there!). That comment, however, was more in reference to the fact that you cannot hide from these partners due to the group's size.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:50 am

Anon for obvious reasons-Warning to Latham folks, particularly those in White Collar-you just inherited a new female partner, initials RK-who was known as one of the worst people in her entire previous firm to work with as a counsel-try to stay away if at all possible

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:50 am
Anon for obvious reasons-Warning to Latham folks, particularly those in White Collar-you just inherited a new female partner, initials RK-who was known as one of the worst people in her entire previous firm to work with as a counsel-try to stay away if at all possible
Maybe she's changed? :twisted:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:54 pm

I want some tea on terrible partners in the restructuring/bankruptcy world. bonus if they're at kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Why would Latham hire as a partner someone who couldn't make partner at Weil? Weird.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Er435

New

Post by Er435 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is this why my nosy ass saw a previous post about "RK at Weil", tried looking for her identity, and failed the other day? :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:14 pm

Er435 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this why my nosy ass saw a previous post about "RK at Weil", tried looking for her identity, and failed the other day? :oops:
it's all over linkedin!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:14 pm
Er435 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
it's all over linkedin!
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 37867.html

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 am

:lol:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Any names to watch out for at Freshfields?
David Livshiz recently made partner but he has had a terrible reputation for a while now. He's a condescending control freak, especially if you are a woman, but he always acts under the guise of mentorship so often people don't realize the extent of his awfulness until they're fully integrated into his team(s). In corporate, Mena Kaplan has a terrible reputation too, but I don't have firsthand experience with him.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Correct. Did one matter with him, vowed never to work with (for) him ever again.
Given how large K&E is, for the other anon associate here to guess correctly like this is pretty telling...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Given how large K&E is, for the other anon associate here to guess correctly like this is pretty telling...
There aren't that many NY Lit Share Partners, and other than him they're generally pretty good (although I can't speak for the newest ones since I've been gone for a while).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:53 pm

Chipman Mazzucco Emerson in Connecticut. Heard atrocious things about this place. Badly managed and top-heavy, heavy turnover and has a penchant for hiring then firing new associates/no-offering summer associates, or just constantly losing associates due to poor training and uncompetitive salary. Leadership is also very conservative, apparently come off as highly transphobic and COVID denialists. Tries to recruit at top schools and brands itself a lifestyle firm but ties your “salary” your billable hours like you’re an hourly wage worker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:51 pm
Any K&E finance people to look out for? Recently interviewed for that group.
I heard Yuli can be.....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:34 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:34 pm
Avoid the LinkedIn “lawdad” at DLA. His public persona is carefully crafted. He’s an egomaniac.
I would naturally assume any partner trying to create a brand on Linkedin is an egomaniac.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:59 pm

throwawayt14 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:34 pm
Avoid the LinkedIn “lawdad” at DLA. His public persona is carefully crafted. He’s an egomaniac.
I would naturally assume any partner trying to create a brand on Linkedin is an egomaniac.
Who would have thought this guy has issues

https://www.wbaltv.com/amp/article/eli- ... ng/7084238

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”