Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:14 am

How about STB NYC? I'm hearing mixed things about its culture and some of the people there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Any names to watch out for at Freshfields?
David Livshiz recently made partner but he has had a terrible reputation for a while now. He's a condescending control freak, especially if you are a woman, but he always acts under the guise of mentorship so often people don't realize the extent of his awfulness until they're fully integrated into his team(s). In corporate, Mena Kaplan has a terrible reputation too, but I don't have firsthand experience with him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:57 pm
Lot of vague references to S&C having a god awful culture but having a tough time finding anything concrete, help?
S&C is one of the default “terrible culture” firms on this board but IME (as compared to friends at other firms) it is not materially worse than most of its peer firms. It’s definitely not better, either, it’s just not uniquely bad. As for why specific S&C people aren’t being named, I previously posted in this thread that there aren’t really any partners that particularly stand out to me as awful, it’s just an intense workaholic culture in general. Others may be refraining from naming names because they don’t trust TLS (no ability to edit posts after like 30 minutes, mods have ability to - and do - out people for perceived anon abuse, etc.)

FWIW (since it sounds like you may be trying to choose between firms or decide whether to go back after clerking or something), I would 100% still go to S&C if I was choosing again. Reasons include: (1) good perks/admin support, which I really miss now that I’ve left (2) I liked a lot of the associates in my year, (3) it’s full of perfectionists, which sucks in the moment but did help me learn to be more careful about my work than I am naturally, (4) I worked on cool matters and got to do some interesting stuff (along with a lot of shitty stuff, to be clear), and most importantly (5) it looks good on my resume - even outside of the legal field, it’s a name a lot of people in the NYC business community know, and I genuinely do think the name helps when you’re looking to move on to another job (as stupid as that is). However, it was the best firm I got an offer at, so I might feel differently if I was choosing between S&C and a true peer firm, though they all suck in different ways.
That is definitely a different perspective! You note things might be different if you were choosing between S&C and a peer firm - not to get all hierarchical or anything but what would be considered a true peer firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:32 pm

Any insight as to Baker McKenzie?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Any insights into Jones Day lit?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:57 pm
any insight re Latham NY? anyone to avoid?
The banking group generally, not because they're bad people, but because it's the most toxic culture you could imagine. They just absolutely burn through people.
What makes it a toxic culture, if not composed of bad people?
Different anon from above but also Latham NY. I will note that some of my favorite people at the firm are in the banking group. It’s just the nature of the work and constant fire drills that burn people out quickly. That said, if you’re decently competent and if you stick around you’re pretty much guaranteed to make at least counsel from what I’ve seen.

This is so true - LW NY banking has the nicest people but the workload gets you down. To respond to the original question though, I will say that Melissa Alwang is horrible to work with. I heard anecdotally that at least one associate has told the staffing partner they wouldn't work for her anymore and at least one other associate has quit because they kept being staffed with her.

LW NY RE also has a toxic reputation FWIW altho I'm less familiar with that group. (Not to bring down LW NY which is generally a great place to work (as much as any big law firm can be ...)!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm
Any Cahill NY insight?
Susanna Suh is known to be the toughest and tends to make people cry. She's really smart and gives substantive work directly to, and is much more involved with, Jr's than other partners at Cahill... but along with that comes a lot of work and direct oversight with very tough critique... some love most hate...

lawposter10000

New

Post by lawposter10000 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:10 am
Any dirt on supposedly "nice" firms like Deb or Cleary?
I'm at one of those two firms. One of the cyber partners here is an absolute nightmare and has received numerous coaching attempts.
Can you elaborate a little bit?
Not the same anon but know who they're referring to. Firm has been trying to build out the cyber practice for the past few years but having trouble attracting associates (or persuading them to stay in the group) thanks to this partner. Absolutely condescending, hair-trigger tendency to snap, will start walking out of the room while you're still talking, memory like an elephant for your screw-ups, even if relatively minor (and will be vindictive and lay out in detail in your review). Will say negative things about you to other partners and then, when asked where you could improve, play dumb.
Please name names - this thread is gold because people have done so, and this would be helpful info. You can be anonymous for a reason!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Anyone have insight on Fried Frank NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 am

[/quote]
This is so true - LW NY banking has the nicest people but the workload gets you down. To respond to the original question though, I will say that Melissa Alwang is horrible to work with. I heard anecdotally that at least one associate has told the staffing partner they wouldn't work for her anymore and at least one other associate has quit because they kept being staffed with her.
[/quote]

Seconded - Melissa is THE most condescending person I've ever met. She only picks up the phone to complain and she complains about EVERYTHING. In all the deals I've done with her, she gave positive feedback once (and it was along the lines of "oh, I guess you're not completely useless") stacked against a couple of hundred complaints (including "why didn't you ask me first? I have to approve everything that goes out" and "why are you asking me? I don't have time to deal with this"). She's honestly the most frustrating person I've ever worked with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:55 am

Anyone have anything on Baker Botts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:57 pm
Lot of vague references to S&C having a god awful culture but having a tough time finding anything concrete, help?
S&C is one of the default “terrible culture” firms on this board but IME (as compared to friends at other firms) it is not materially worse than most of its peer firms. It’s definitely not better, either, it’s just not uniquely bad. As for why specific S&C people aren’t being named, I previously posted in this thread that there aren’t really any partners that particularly stand out to me as awful, it’s just an intense workaholic culture in general. Others may be refraining from naming names because they don’t trust TLS (no ability to edit posts after like 30 minutes, mods have ability to - and do - out people for perceived anon abuse, etc.)

FWIW (since it sounds like you may be trying to choose between firms or decide whether to go back after clerking or something), I would 100% still go to S&C if I was choosing again. Reasons include: (1) good perks/admin support, which I really miss now that I’ve left (2) I liked a lot of the associates in my year, (3) it’s full of perfectionists, which sucks in the moment but did help me learn to be more careful about my work than I am naturally, (4) I worked on cool matters and got to do some interesting stuff (along with a lot of shitty stuff, to be clear), and most importantly (5) it looks good on my resume - even outside of the legal field, it’s a name a lot of people in the NYC business community know, and I genuinely do think the name helps when you’re looking to move on to another job (as stupid as that is). However, it was the best firm I got an offer at, so I might feel differently if I was choosing between S&C and a true peer firm, though they all suck in different ways.
That is definitely a different perspective! You note things might be different if you were choosing between S&C and a peer firm - not to get all hierarchical or anything but what would be considered a true peer firm?
Also, anecdotally, people at S&C seem to just be meaner (not yell-at-you mean, but assume you did something wrong instead of giving you a chance to explain, impatient, etc.) than at other firms, maybe because people are more intense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am

Can we find out who this partner is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyk_PT9LiM This story seems a little crazy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:10 pm
STB m&a - Sebastián tiller, Ben Schaye, Mike holick, marni Lerner, William Allen. The culture and group is generally horrific.
Would you be open to a PM? Seems like you've got the goods. Would greatly appreciate talking to you as a potential lateral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:10 pm
STB m&a - Sebastián tiller, Ben Schaye, Mike holick, marni Lerner, William Allen. The culture and group is generally horrific.
Would you be open to a PM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:21 am

Any KE Chicago?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Any names to watch out for at Freshfields?
David Livshiz recently made partner but he has had a terrible reputation for a while now. He's a condescending control freak, especially if you are a woman, but he always acts under the guise of mentorship so often people don't realize the extent of his awfulness until they're fully integrated into his team(s). In corporate, Mena Kaplan has a terrible reputation too, but I don't have firsthand experience with him.
Could you elaborate on Mena Kaplan at all? Considering lateraling to his group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:51 pm

Any intel on lit. partners at Manatt (Century City)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Any intel on Latham LA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:14 am
How about STB NYC? I'm hearing mixed things about its culture and some of the people there.
I didn't do M&A so I can't speak for them...but have absolutely loved everyone I've worked with in funds and capital markets so far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 am
Robbie Kaplan (of Kaplan Hecker) is very tough to work with (or, more accurately, for). She's well connected and brings in amazing cases, but they take a toll on associates. Like, a physically grueling toll slash heartburn. In retrospect, not worth it.
I heard this too, but I have no first hand experience. I am also nowhere near her professional or social circle, so this reputation must be really widespread. Is this still true? Again, why are people flocking to her boutique and is the culture of her boutique bad, because of this?

No inside knowledge at all, but assuming this reputation is true, people work for her for the same reason the absolute top students at law schools willingly subjected themselves to people like Kozinski and Reinhardt for decades. Prestige, high-profile work, and access to immense political resources and power.
It is absolutely true. The turnover is very high (with a number of people quitting after less than 6 months) because it's an incredibly toxic work environment. The stories I've heard from people working there...oof.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Robbie Kaplan (of Kaplan Hecker) is very tough to work with (or, more accurately, for). She's well connected and brings in amazing cases, but they take a toll on associates. Like, a physically grueling toll slash heartburn. In retrospect, not worth it.
I heard this too, but I have no first hand experience. I am also nowhere near her professional or social circle, so this reputation must be really widespread. Is this still true? Again, why are people flocking to her boutique and is the culture of her boutique bad, because of this?

No inside knowledge at all, but assuming this reputation is true, people work for her for the same reason the absolute top students at law schools willingly subjected themselves to people like Kozinski and Reinhardt for decades. Prestige, high-profile work, and access to immense political resources and power.
It is absolutely true. The turnover is very high (with a number of people quitting after less than 6 months) because it's an incredibly toxic work environment. The stories I've heard from people working there...oof.
Anything you can anonymize and share?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not at the firm and know nothing about the work environment, but it does take a piece of work to be head of Time's Up and then aid Andrew Cuomo in baselessly smearing his accusers.

Artaserse

New

Post by Artaserse » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not at the firm and know nothing about the work environment, but it does take a piece of work to be head of Time's Up and then aid Andrew Cuomo in baselessly smearing his accusers.
Agreed. Unfortunately this seem to be the norm for these sort of people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”