Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 pm

BrowsingTLS wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:06 pm
Love how this thread has gone far enough off track that we're debating and discussing firm treatment of holidays. FWIW, I think every religious (or no religious) holiday should be recognized to the same degree.
From my experience, V10 NYC, only the Jewish holidays are truly respected because of the fact that observers aren't "allowed" to do work, whereas any other holiday (including most importantly Easter) are up for debate or at least welcome to emails (but of course, no one would ever ask/expect the Jewish associate/partner to work/cover for you on those days). It's an incredible double standard that I'm frustrated by, year after year, particularly when I cover for people every single Friday night/Saturday without being asked to, just the very clear expectation.

To stay on track, answer to the question is often the partners who expect you to cover for them, constantly, without a thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:43 pm
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Love how this thread has gone far enough off track that we're debating and discussing firm treatment of holidays. FWIW, I think every religious (or no religious) holiday should be recognized to the same degree.
From my experience, V10 NYC, only the Jewish holidays are truly respected because of the fact that observers aren't "allowed" to do work, whereas any other holiday (including most importantly Easter) are up for debate or at least welcome to emails (but of course, no one would ever ask/expect the Jewish associate/partner to work/cover for you on those days). It's an incredible double standard that I'm frustrated by, year after year, particularly when I cover for people every single Friday night/Saturday without being asked to, just the very clear expectation.

To stay on track, answer to the question is often the partners who expect you to cover for them, constantly, without a thank you.
Yeah to get back to reference here - KE Real Estate is toxic, avoid it. Among many many other reasons, a disrespect for Muslim religious holidays was, anecdotally, one of the examples provided. To be clear, the group is horrific for a myriad of other reasons.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

This is accurate in my experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

There should be just “retreat” days for everyone to also respect spiritual non-religious people and provide the same benefit to atheists. I’m happy for sincere Jewish colleagues observing sabbath/etc. Days should just be given to everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

There should be just “retreat” days for everyone to also respect spiritual non-religious people and provide the same benefit to atheists. I’m happy for sincere Jewish colleagues observing sabbath/etc. Days should just be given to everyone.
But religious holidays aren't just like bonus vacation days - presumably if you're taking a religious holiday off, it's because you are engaged in some kind of observance of the holiday (attending a service, etc.). I suppose if a spiritual but not religious person had some occasion they wanted to observe, this might make sense, but it's hard to think what that would be. This is like the argument you often hear from (usually) associates with no kids about how it's "unfair" that associates receive certain benefits they don't (like parental leave). It's about equity not one-size-fits-all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

But religious holidays aren't just like bonus vacation days - presumably if you're taking a religious holiday off, it's because you are engaged in some kind of observance of the holiday (attending a service, etc.). I suppose if a spiritual but not religious person had some occasion they wanted to observe, this might make sense, but it's hard to think what that would be. This is like the argument you often hear from (usually) associates with no kids about how it's "unfair" that associates receive certain benefits they don't (like parental leave). It's about equity not one-size-fits-all.

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

Duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

I am Sabbath observant and make very clear to colleagues that I am available to cover on Christmas, New Year's, Easter, etc. The truth is, there usually isn't as much work to cover on those days, since most clients/partners are out. However, I'm not sure why if something came up, you wouldn't ask the Jewish associate/partner. I think it is entirely appropriate. People have asked me to cover during these times at both big firms I have been at, and I was happy to do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helicopter

New

Post by Helicopter » Wed May 18, 2022 12:08 pm

Cool.

Go create a sabbath post or whatever.

Name drop Partners and Firm Names and spill the tea.

BigLawtookmysoul

New

Post by BigLawtookmysoul » Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Any info on K&E investment funds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm

I'm glad we turned a useful thread about specific toxic partners into a bash-the-Jews pile on. Nice work everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 pm
Lol I just want the world to know how horrible the KE NY real estate group is and how unbelievably toxic and racist/sexist the partners there are. If you are a law student or junior associate, avoid avoid avoid!
But the real question is: Do they look like they were the kids stuffed in lockers in high school and/or did they go to mediocre law schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 4:36 pm

Not sure if this name has been brought up yet, but I've heard from a reliable source that Marni Lerner at Simpson was extremely difficult - borderline toxic- to work with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:36 pm
Not sure if this name has been brought up yet, but I've heard from a reliable source that Marni Lerner at Simpson was extremely difficult - borderline toxic- to work with.
Lol I've worked across from her. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 18, 2022 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol I've worked across from her. This doesn't surprise me at all.
Same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:16 pm

Anyone at K&L Gates?

Anon because relationship to the firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm
I'm glad we turned a useful thread about specific toxic partners into a bash-the-Jews pile on. Nice work everyone.
relax

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If by “borderline” you mean so far over the line into toxic that she’s basically in the next country, then sure. It was a mark of honor in STB M&A a few years ago for Marni to have given you a bad review/tried to fire you as a first or second year - at some point it happened to basically everyone who made partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

Genuinely not sure if the sarcasm here is frustration aimed at the partners treatment of holidays or simple antisemitism. Sounds like the ladder.

And for the record, every religious Jewish associate I've worked with has been more than willing to cover for me Easter, Thanksgiving, New years etc and has done so when the need arose. And I am happy to cover for them for shabbat and their holidays.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
If by “borderline” you mean so far over the line into toxic that she’s basically in the next country, then sure. It was a mark of honor in STB M&A a few years ago for Marni to have given you a bad review/tried to fire you as a first or second year - at some point it happened to basically everyone who made partner.
Kinda feel like if you are dumb enough to pick STB M&A you get what you deserve. Informed consent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Kinda feel like if you are dumb enough to pick STB M&A you get what you deserve. Informed consent.
:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:55 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
:lol:
I did once listen to her openly berate her associate (now a partner) on a call with her client.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 am

Any info on partners at Jones Day in Dallas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:57 pm

Seems like the vast vast majority of these partners are in corporate practices. Are litigation partners just nicer/more reasonable, or does TLS just lean corporate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”