Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which partners at your firms are notoriously terrible to work for?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:19 am

Any partners at Latham NY, other than the Banking/Finance group? I know that group is a bit of a notorious meat grinder but it's mostly filled with direct hires unlike other groups. Particularly interested in hearing about partners and even senior associates in M&A and Capital Markets so I know who to avoid :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Any Cahill NY insight?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 pm

double
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm
I had a partner who was a nightmare. When I left, numerous partners said they were surprised I lasted so long working under the partner.

He never yelled. He just said things that would always be so condescending and rude. He would question my intelligence and didn’t trust any of the work I did. No other partners ever questioned me like that, and I have great annual evaluations.

He didn’t have a life outside of work. A divorced person with no responsibilities. When covid hit, I knew my limited work/life balance was gone.

I’d regularly have Saturday 10 pm calls followed up with 8 am emails on Sundays. I would be told there were urgent assignments late Saturday night that were due Sunday night. Then once I finished the assignments, the partner ignored them for weeks.

I’d get constant check-in calls and e-mails, because he liked to micromanage me.

I could go on... but the above is the general gist.

I complained to higher ups maybe 5-6 times during my time at the firm. Nothing changed. The partner is a rainmaker, so I just had to deal with it.

Luckily I was able to get out.

It’s a different person but this response reminds me of Julie Park at Pillsbury (Silicon Valley).

She yelled on occasion but for the most part she was just incredibly rude, condescending, and passive-aggressive. She encouraged us to ask questions but made sure you knew she thought you were irredeemably stupid for doing so. She constantly questioned and belittled our work, even if it was done correctly. And if we did make mistakes, she loved belaboring it. It was never enough to just request a fix - she had to know how and why you could be so moronic as to make a mistake (99% of which were things like not italicizing a comma).

I can’t even get started on the micromanaging and fake emergencies. The neverending status checks and messages were insufferable. Weekend “emergencies” over procuring a redline she could have made herself in about three minutes. Post-it notes on our office doors to explain our whereabouts if not inside. Shockingly she had absolutely no life outside of work.

Overall she was just a really insidious bully. I know talent is no excuse for awful behavior but it was insult to injury that she was a fairly mediocre attorney at the end of the day. A lot of our work was covering issues stemming from her gaps in knowledge/bad project management so she could save face.

I know it’s nothing compared to some of the outright screaming/other stories here but it was absolutely exhausting since every interaction was a roulette game of how she was going to call you stupid and incompetent in a new way. It’s a shame too because the office was super laid back before she arrived and ruined the atmosphere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:50 pm

Any Alex Oh stories given recent events?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I had a partner who was a nightmare. When I left, numerous partners said they were surprised I lasted so long working under the partner.

He never yelled. He just said things that would always be so condescending and rude. He would question my intelligence and didn’t trust any of the work I did. No other partners ever questioned me like that, and I have great annual evaluations.

He didn’t have a life outside of work. A divorced person with no responsibilities. When covid hit, I knew my limited work/life balance was gone.

I’d regularly have Saturday 10 pm calls followed up with 8 am emails on Sundays. I would be told there were urgent assignments late Saturday night that were due Sunday night. Then once I finished the assignments, the partner ignored them for weeks.

I’d get constant check-in calls and e-mails, because he liked to micromanage me.

I complained to higher ups maybe 5-6 times during my time at the firm. Nothing changed. The partner is a rainmaker, so I just had to deal with it.

It’s a different person but this response reminds me of Julie Park at Pillsbury (Silicon Valley).

She yelled on occasion but for the most part she was just incredibly rude, condescending, and passive-aggressive. She encouraged us to ask questions but made sure you knew she thought you were irredeemably stupid for doing so. She constantly questioned and belittled our work, even if it was done correctly. And if we did make mistakes, she loved belaboring it. It was never enough to just request a fix - she had to know how and why you could be so moronic as to make a mistake (99% of which were things like not italicizing a comma).

I can’t even get started on the micromanaging and fake emergencies. The neverending status checks and messages were insufferable. Weekend “emergencies” over procuring a redline she could have made herself in about three minutes. Post-it notes on our office doors to explain our whereabouts if not inside. Shockingly she had absolutely no life outside of work.

Overall she was just a really insidious bully. I know talent is no excuse for awful behavior but it was insult to injury that she was a fairly mediocre attorney at the end of the day. A lot of our work was covering issues stemming from her gaps in knowledge/bad project management so she could save face.

I know it’s nothing compared to some of the outright screaming/other stories here but it was absolutely exhausting since every interaction was a roulette game of how she was going to call you stupid and incompetent in a new way. It’s a shame too because the office was super laid back before she arrived and ruined the atmosphere.
I dont think you have to minimize this experience. Sounds fucking awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm

whats an updog wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I dont think you have to minimize this experience. Sounds fucking awful.
Yea, crazy to say, but I'd take a screamer over this any day

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:50 pm
I thought Oh stepped down because people were throwing a fit about her history of defending corporations; did someone suggest that she was also hard to work for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ExpOriental

Bronze

Post by ExpOriental » Tue May 04, 2021 9:49 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I thought Oh stepped down because people were throwing a fit about her history of defending corporations; did someone suggest that she was also hard to work for?
It wasn't even that; the people who were throwing a fit were just doing the same thing they always do, and no one cared.

The real reason is because she got hit with an order to show cause for sanctions due to misconduct surrounding a depo in defense of Exxon. I'm on the fence on whether it merited a resignation, but the underlying conduct seemed to be fairly bad. Nothing really catastrophic though, the main issue appears to be that she mislead the court about OC's own conduct.

Now the people who were screeching about her defense work are claiming a win, and are just ignoring the real reason or are burying it below the fold. It'll be funny to observe the reaction when she's replaced by yet another biglaw defense attorney, though.

But in response to the actual question here - unless you can infer how someone behaves as boss/coworker from how they treat OC (I don't think you can), what's become public about her doesn't give much of a reason to suspect she's a nightmare to work with or anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fwiw- she's good to work for. Pretty demanding, has high expectations, and blunt but that's a function of just how brilliant she is. (Think of the brainiac partner in your office who doesn't quite understand why you can't understand super complicated issue X on a first pass because they always can.) She's known for actively trying to give substantive opportunities to women/POC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fwiw- she's good to work for. Pretty demanding, has high expectations, and blunt but that's a function of just how brilliant she is. (Think of the brainiac partner in your office who doesn't quite understand why you can't understand super complicated issue X on a first pass because they always can.) She's known for actively trying to give substantive opportunities to women/POC.
That's great to hear. We need more partners like that. And I suppose brilliant lawyers are good, too. :wink:

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Wed May 05, 2021 5:41 pm

I googled this Julie Park person people have commented about and she's not a partner. Looks like she was a senior associate until recently, and now she's counsel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Did anyone ever work with the Wilkie chair that went to jail for the college admissions scandal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:07 pm
Who has the survival guide for S&C General Practice group?

Who is good to work for? Who to avoid, other than Dietderich?
second this

TLSReturntoWork

New

Post by TLSReturntoWork » Thu May 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:07 pm
Who has the survival guide for S&C General Practice group?

Who is good to work for? Who to avoid, other than Dietderich?
second this
He actually looks like a nice guy or at least not intimidating in his firm photo. A survival guide for all of the V10 would be nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:19 am
Any partners at Latham NY, other than the Banking/Finance group? I know that group is a bit of a notorious meat grinder but it's mostly filled with direct hires unlike other groups. Particularly interested in hearing about partners and even senior associates in M&A and Capital Markets so I know who to avoid :)
also interested in this, what about the general M&A/PE group and CM group? NY office

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 pm

tlsguy2020 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 pm
Did anyone ever work with the Wilkie chair that went to jail for the college admissions scandal?
I heard he was a massive douche and everyone who worked under him at Willkie was happy that he was gone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Deb Festa at Milbank LA's alternative investments group is a well known must-avoid. Juniors have quit ASAP and it's known that incoming first years will frantically search for another job if they get placed in her group.
WOW - that's wild. She interviewed me at OCI and I thought she was the coolest person ever. Very chill and calm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm
Imagine grinding away your life for years and years only to have your name immortalized on TLS as a top asshole among an industry of assholes. Idk how these people don't have enormous regrets about how they've gone about their lives.
A lot of them do. I had to network heavily 3L yr for a job, so I had a lot of lunches/dinners. So many partners told me about how selfish they were in chasing their success, how they had uprooted their families and caused divorces/separations/massive angst among their families.

A lot of people in biglaw aren't the most socially adjusted before going in - and they don't have the time to become so doing work, so they dont get the chance to realize it anywhere but their own family life. Many of them knew/understood how flawed/fucked up they were. I believe with even taking the lunch with me & offering me guidance they were trying to rectify it. It's a tough thing too - at least three of the partners I met with told me of how they were bullied growing up and I'm sure they hadn't healed/resolved their past.

You never know what demons people are going through. But I will say this - I was lucky enough to play sports at very high level. The partners in BL come nowhere close to high school football coaches, much less even college football/S&C ones. I once witnessed a coach grab a player by his neck roll and close him into the locker. He then locked it on him, and proceeded to squirt a Gatorade bottle of water through the holes while yelling profusely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Imagine grinding away your life for years and years only to have your name immortalized on TLS as a top asshole among an industry of assholes. Idk how these people don't have enormous regrets about how they've gone about their lives.
A lot of them do. I had to network heavily 3L yr for a job, so I had a lot of lunches/dinners. So many partners told me about how selfish they were in chasing their success, how they had uprooted their families and caused divorces/separations/massive angst among their families.

A lot of people in biglaw aren't the most socially adjusted before going in - and they don't have the time to become so doing work, so they dont get the chance to realize it anywhere but their own family life. Many of them knew/understood how flawed/fucked up they were. I believe with even taking the lunch with me & offering me guidance they were trying to rectify it. It's a tough thing too - at least three of the partners I met with told me of how they were bullied growing up and I'm sure they hadn't healed/resolved their past.

You never know what demons people are going through. But I will say this - I was lucky enough to play sports at very high level. The partners in BL come nowhere close to high school football coaches, much less even college football/S&C ones. I once witnessed a coach grab a player by his neck roll and close him into the locker. He then locked it on him, and proceeded to squirt a Gatorade bottle of water through the holes while yelling profusely.
Top Biglaw partners and college football coaches are cut from the same cloth. There are plenty of partners who are red-faced screamers like Brian Kelly or wackos like Les Miles, they just aren't on TV every Saturday in the fall so we don't know who they are unless they're named on ATL or in a thread like this one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Deb Festa at Milbank LA's alternative investments group is a well known must-avoid. Juniors have quit ASAP and it's known that incoming first years will frantically search for another job if they get placed in her group.
WOW - that's wild. She interviewed me at OCI and I thought she was the coolest person ever. Very chill and calm
she just lateraled to Akin Gump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 11:07 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd take playing for the meanest coach over staying in biglaw. I had a tough coach in high school and at least after practice it was over. But these partners can come for you any time. No time is safe, even from the nice partners. A mean coach wouldn't find you in your bed early on a Sunday morning without warning and give you a massive amount of stuff to do that eats up your whole Sunday. But even nice partners do this. (Not necessarily through any fault of their own. The client wants what the client wants.)

Got an email while writing this post and my heart lurched. It was only a recruiter though, not someone asking me to do more work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 12:52 pm

There are some partners to avoid at Perkins Coie (CHI), the firm's performance in the Fortune ratings be damned. I'm happy to PM with anyone considering going to PC Chicago. Without outing myself by providing details of my own experiences here, I'll just strongly caution the reader against ever working on anything for a female partner with the initials RL.

ExpOriental

Bronze

Post by ExpOriental » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Bumping a GOAT thread that deserves life

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”