NYC Neighborhoods Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Neighborhoods

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm

Potentially looking to move to NYC this summer for my job regardless of whether it is remote so I can get a feel of the neighborhoods. Anyone have any recommendation on where to live? Any advice would also be helpful if I'm lucky enough to get a full time offer after this summer and would be moving there next year!

A little info: in my 20's and would like to live in the fun/happening area, but would also be in a good area that I would have a reasonable commute to my office (near Diamond District/Times Square)

Adding some more info about me since some people asked: female, single, like to be active, enjoy a good social scene/nightlife, big foodie so somewhere with cool restaurants and food would be great, budget will be based off BigLaw salary of 190K (but probably around 3,500) and would like a 1 bedroom but would be willing to potentially compromise on that! Really just want to be in an area with a lot of young professionals/things to do! I definitely want to be in Manhattan though
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Neighborhoods

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 pm

the village area is the best - east village, greenwich village, NoHo, west village. West village might not be easy for commute to midtown tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:42 pm

I could use some help on this too.

I'm single, mid-20s, will be starting fulltime at biglaw in lower Manhattan (specifically around the WTC) in the fall.

I've never even been to NYC, but my current thinking is either to just get an apartment as close as possible to work, or Brooklyn.

arwedgorella

New

Post by arwedgorella » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 pm

NYC native here. What's your budget? As a general NYC rule of thumb, your salary will need to be 40x your monthly rent (so if rent is $2k per month, landlords will want to see a salary of $80k). If you'll just be here for the summer, you'll likely be subletting, so the 40x rule does not apply. I think it will be worth paying a premium to live in Manhattan. In Manhattan, the most "hopping" neighborhoods for young people are the East Village, Greenwich Village, and Lower East Side. The West Village is amazing, but expensive. Rents in NYC have gone down quite a bit so you will easily be able to find a studio or small 1 bedroom for $2k. For an easy commute to Times Square, I recommend looking for apartments located near these subway stations: Essex St (F/M trains); 2nd Avenue (F train); West 4th Street.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:47 pm

A bit more about yourself and budget would help. Most areas in Manhattan meet the non-NYC definition of "good area." And, almost anywhere outside of Midtown could be considered fun/happening. The previous poster mentioned some nice but extremely expensive areas. Your office is well served by the subway so commute considerations really should be secondary here unless you are looking at outer boroughs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:42 pm

I'm single, mid-20s, will be starting fulltime at biglaw in lower Manhattan (specifically around the WTC) in the fall.

I've never even been to NYC, but my current thinking is either to just get an apartment as close as possible to work, or Brooklyn.
WTC is much easier to get to from west side. I’d live in west village, Greenwich village or even low 100s or nearish to Columbia. Those are all fun areas and represent a variety of price points. Avoid the area immediately near NYU in west village like your life depends on it. Lower Manhattan is easy to walk across so basically any downtown neighborhood will work.

East village and LES are less pretentious and slightly “grittier” in some areas than West Village, which has a higher concentration of real adults. Gramercy, Chelsea, union square are slightly older and richer. Chelsea in particular is quieter.

arwedgorella

New

Post by arwedgorella » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Battery Park City is a good place to look. It's right next to WTC, right on the water, and super safe. There's not much to do in the neighborhood, though, and there are a ton of families, including supermommies who will fight you with their $2k strollers. Living on your own might also not be the best financial move if you have significant loans because the area is expensive. You could probably find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for around $3k. FiDi is also close to WTC and has a lot of residential buildings, but it's dead at night and there is not a ton to do in the neighborhood. I would personally pay a premium to be able to walk to work, and you're lucky that your office is in lower Manhattan and not Midtown!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 pm

Adding some more info about me since some people asked: female, single, like to be active, enjoy a good social scene/nightlife, big foodie so somewhere with cool restaurants and food would be great, budget will be based off BigLaw salary of 190K (but probably around 3,500) and would like a 1 bedroom but would be willing to potentially compromise on that! Really just want to be in an area with a lot of young professionals/things to do! I definitely want to be in Manhattan though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Brooklyn is better for someone in their mid 20s these days in my opinion. If working in midtown, North Brooklyn (Williamsburg) has the L train which is pretty good now.

If working in financial district, crown heights is extremely convenient and happening (if you have seen high fidelity on hulu, the whole thing takes place here).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baskeet

New

Post by baskeet » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Don't sleep on Williamsburg. The nearby JMZ get you to Midtown OR Downtown (WTC area) very quickly and easily, and allow you to avoid the mess that is the L train. Plus, living in South Williamsburg gives you great access to that train line, LES, and in my opinion some of the best dining in the city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 pm

arwedgorella wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Battery Park City is a good place to look. It's right next to WTC, right on the water, and super safe. There's not much to do in the neighborhood, though, and there are a ton of families, including supermommies who will fight you with their $2k strollers. Living on your own might also not be the best financial move if you have significant loans because the area is expensive. You could probably find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for around $3k. FiDi is also close to WTC and has a lot of residential buildings, but it's dead at night and there is not a ton to do in the neighborhood. I would personally pay a premium to be able to walk to work, and you're lucky that your office is in lower Manhattan and not Midtown!
Zero debt. Kind of the opposite, full disclosure (family money), but I prefer to approach this as if I'm starting from a $0 net worth. I do not have extravagant tastes, anyways. I've set an arbitrary limit of $4k, which I guess is slightly flexible.

I actually wouldn't hate having roommates if they were people I knew I'd get along with, but I've become accustomed to living solo and I'm not willing to roll the dice on strangers.

What would you recommend if I told you that I'm into fairly young/hip neighborhoods that are more hipster than clubby? I hate the club scene and plan to never set foot in one unless absolutely necessary. I lean more towards dive bars, I guess. (Thus the notion of Brooklyn, which may be in error)

But I'd say the actual apartments themselves are more important. I don't like claustrophobia, so narrow hallways and low ceilings are not ideal. Lofts are appealing to me, at least in concept.

cisscum

New

Post by cisscum » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 pm
arwedgorella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Zero debt. Kind of the opposite, full disclosure (family money), but I prefer to approach this as if I'm starting from a $0 net worth. I do not have extravagant tastes, anyways. I've set an arbitrary limit of $4k, which I guess is slightly flexible.

I actually wouldn't hate having roommates if they were people I knew I'd get along with, but I've become accustomed to living solo and I'm not willing to roll the dice on strangers.

What would you recommend if I told you that I'm into fairly young/hip neighborhoods that are more hipster than clubby? I hate the club scene and plan to never set foot in one unless absolutely necessary. I lean more towards dive bars, I guess. (Thus the notion of Brooklyn, which may be in error)

But I'd say the actual apartments themselves are more important. I don't like claustrophobia, so narrow hallways and low ceilings are not ideal. Lofts are appealing to me, at least in concept.
Pro tip: people who start from a net worth of zero don’t blow $4k a month on an apartment

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Not to hijack this thread but any thoughts on where to live if my office is right by Grand Central would also be appreciated! I'm in a similar situation to OP (no debt, budget of $4k, give or take a few hundred bucks)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:48 pm

cisscum wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Pro tip: people who start from a net worth of zero don’t blow $4k a month on an apartment
Fair enough, but I meant that as an upper bound, not that I need to spend that amount. It's not like I'm going to turn my nose up at $2,500 if the place suits my needs/wants.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arwedgorella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

With these parameters, the city is your oyster. I'd recommend visiting before committing to an area, but east village, west village, chelsea, williamsburg, and greenpoint should be on your radar. Streeteasy should tell you everything you want to know about the housing stock in any particular neighborhood.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm

my office is also right near grand central, wondering if i should go midtown east or east village

musafir

New

Post by musafir » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm
Potentially looking to move to NYC this summer for my job regardless of whether it is remote so I can get a feel of the neighborhoods. Anyone have any recommendation on where to live? Any advice would also be helpful if I'm lucky enough to get a full time offer after this summer and would be moving there next year!

A little info: in my 20's and would like to live in the fun/happening area, but would also be in a good area that I would have a reasonable commute to my office (near Diamond District/Times Square)

Adding some more info about me since some people asked: female, single, like to be active, enjoy a good social scene/nightlife, big foodie so somewhere with cool restaurants and food would be great, budget will be based off BigLaw salary of 190K (but probably around 3,500) and would like a 1 bedroom but would be willing to potentially compromise on that! Really just want to be in an area with a lot of young professionals/things to do! I definitely want to be in Manhattan though
You could consider Long Island City. It's just outside Manhattan (in Queens) but is a quick 10-20 min subway ride to midtown (shorter than from many other places in Manhattan) so you would have an easy commute to work and no problems going out to enjoy the city. The area has been developed a lot in the last few years with a lot of high amenity buildings/condos at a lower rent cost as compared to Manhattan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wldecisions

New

Post by wldecisions » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 pm

baskeet wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm
Don't sleep on Williamsburg. The nearby JMZ get you to Midtown OR Downtown (WTC area) very quickly and easily, and allow you to avoid the mess that is the L train. Plus, living in South Williamsburg gives you great access to that train line, LES, and in my opinion some of the best dining in the city.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:02 pm

East village is awesome if you want to be in the mix, but it is pretty expensive. You can go further east into Alphabet City where you will get a nicer apartment for less money, but you are also further away from public transit, and once you get into ave C/D the area starts to get a little more dicey.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 pm

Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, I would do east village or lower east side. Plenty of 'hipster' and drive bars and cafes and restaurants, and best access to trains (and can go into north Brooklyn easily). There are some newly built condos that have been built in the area and you might as well as live in luxury. Most of the older units are going to be pretty old (i.e. a lot of buildings in NY are from before the 1950s) and walk-ups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 pm

collegewriter wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

WTC is much easier to get to from west side. I’d live in west village, Greenwich village or even low 100s or nearish to Columbia. Those are all fun areas and represent a variety of price points. Avoid the area immediately near NYU in west village like your life depends on it. Lower Manhattan is easy to walk across so basically any downtown neighborhood will work.

East village and LES are less pretentious and slightly “grittier” in some areas than West Village, which has a higher concentration of real adults. Gramercy, Chelsea, union square are slightly older and richer. Chelsea in particular is quieter.
LOL I lived in NYU Law dorm and absolutely loved it. It's on West 3rd and Mercer st. - right by broadway, NoHo/ Greenwich area. But I think you are right that area is not suitable for biglaw associates, I can relate based on my final exam week experience - came out of the library at around midnight and the entire neighborhood looks like it's been partying to death lol. Comedy cellar, jazz bar, sports bars, awesome restaurants were also right next to school area. Ugh, can't believe I am saying this but I actually miss my law school days.

In all seriousness, I have friends who work at a firm near WTC, and they either live in FiDi (walking distance to work); or Brooklyn. Some live near lower east side. Since you will likely still be spending sometime working remotely, I'd recommend against FiDi - can't say that's the most pleasant place to live in, not enough sunshine due to the density of the buildings there (based on my limited experience)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arwedgorella

New

Post by arwedgorella » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
arwedgorella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In Manhattan, I would recommend the East Village or LES for young/hip vibes, but the housing stock of these two neighborhoods is not great. Lots of old walk-ups, tiny apartments without amenities, and not many newer buildings. You'll definitely be paying for the location and not the apartment itself. And you probably won't find a nice loft for $4k in Manhattan. Your money goes a lot farther in Brooklyn, but Brooklyn is HUGE, and your commute may vary widely. I would recommend Williamsburg, Fort Greene, and Clinton Hill in Brooklyn.

arwedgorella

New

Post by arwedgorella » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm
my office is also right near grand central, wondering if i should go midtown east or east village
My hot takes are all over this thread, but East Village ALL THE WAY. The East Village is expensive, but so is Midtown East. Unlike Midtown East, the EV is one of the most fun neighborhoods in NYC. So many amazing restaurants and bars, and it has much more of a neighborhood-y vibe than the soulless Midtown East. There is no feeling as wonderful as walking through Tompkins Square Park on a spring day and people-watching and listening to jazz in the park. You'll still be able to walk to work on a nice day (it'll be like a 30-40 minute walk depending on how fast you walk). And the 6 train from the EV to Grand Central is a 10-minute straight shot. The only advantage of Midtown East is that the housing stock is better (lots of shitty walk-ups with tiny kitchens and no laundry in the building in the EV; generic but luxury-esque condos in Midtown), but it's a tradeoff that is personally worth it to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:06 pm
Neither. UES is the right answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:44 pm

where to live if my firm is near Rockefeller center?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”