NYC Neighborhoods Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mwells_56

New

Re: NYC Neighborhoods

Post by mwells_56 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Revitalizing this thread. I'm starting at one of the Hudson Yards firms this Fall, trying to decided between the West Village and Upper West Side. Hoping to get a 1-bedroom for between $2500 and $3500 a month. What's the commute like from either of this neighborhoods?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 1:17 pm

mwells_56 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm
Revitalizing this thread. I'm starting at one of the Hudson Yards firms this Fall, trying to decided between the West Village and Upper West Side. Hoping to get a 1-bedroom for between $2500 and $3500 a month. What's the commute like from either of this neighborhoods?
Caveat: I haven’t made that commute on the regular, but have done UWS-to-Javits (very close to HY) twice recently for the vax.

IMO it’s a fairly easy trip: a single transfer at Times Square, the 7 train is one of the most reliable (received big signal improvements in last few years), etc. Even better if you live near an express stop on the 1/2/3 (that would be 72nd St or 96th St on the UWS, or 14th St for WV), as you’ll then be just 1-2 stops away from your transfer at Times Square. I’m guessing something like 25 minutes door to door, maybe up to 30 occasionally when the subway is delayed.

With that budget, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a 1BR, at least on the UWS. Still seeing lots of 2-3 month free deals around here, although those may have dried up by the time you arrive in the fall.

anonguest

New

Post by anonguest » Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm

The commute should be roughly the same - if you take the subway you are either transferring at times square for the 7 or walking from 7th Ave (if you take the 1/2/3) or 8th Ave (if you take the A/C/E) (the bigger factor may well be the walk from the apartment to the subway in the first place). You can also bike or walk from either location via the Hudson River Greenway. The West Village also lets you walk straight up the High Line (depending on where in the West Village it is a 30-45 minute walk to HY via the High Line).

wldecisions

New

Post by wldecisions » Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm

If you're younger or enjoy night life, WV. If you want to be near "culture" or love Central Park, UWS. Commute is similar, as others have mentioned.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm

wldecisions wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm
If you're younger or enjoy night life, WV. If you want to be near "culture" or love Central Park, UWS. Commute is similar, as others have mentioned.
lol wtf "culture" is on the UWS? Staples? Starbucks? Jacob's Pickles?

Assuming you're under 40 and/or don't have kids, the vast majority of your socializing will likely take place south of 34th street (probably even 14th street) or in Brooklyn. You can also get a decent 1BR in the West Village in your price range right now for the first time in a decade. WV, without a doubt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:11 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm
wldecisions wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm
lol wtf "culture" is on the UWS? Staples? Starbucks? Jacob's Pickles?

Assuming you're under 40 and/or don't have kids, the vast majority of your socializing will likely take place south of 34th street (probably even 14th street) or in Brooklyn. You can also get a decent 1BR in the West Village in your price range right now for the first time in a decade. WV, without a doubt.
Off the top of my head, museum of natural history, planetarium, and New York historical society. Also jacobs pickles is good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm

lol wtf "culture" is on the UWS?
Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, and a lot of museums (Met, Guggenheim, Frick, etc). I meant proximity, not necessarily UWS itself as the center of culture, though FedFan is also correct.

DrunkenBocceBall

New

Post by DrunkenBocceBall » Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 pm

My fiance and I live on the UWS and love it, but imo this pretty much comes down to how much nightlife you want in your immediate vicinity. There are a bunch of restaurants (and a handful of bars) between about 75-90 on Amsterdam and Columbus, but they tend to be neighborhood spots as opposed to the more hip/trendy/instagram-y places in WV. The neighborhood is pretty quiet at night, and there are a ton of families.

If you live next to the 2/3 train, then it's a quick 15 minute commute down to WV, and we've found that we like living in the quieter neighborhood and commuting down to the village for socializing. But we're also a little older than most 1st years (pushing our 30s), and I have no idea how we'll feel when the bar scene returns and our social life consists of more than just sit-down dinners and everything closing at 11. Your money also probably goes farther on the UWS, and the proximity to the park and riverside park is great. All of that said, if I were 25 and single then I'd probably have chosen to live in the WV (or East Village, which has a lot of similar draws but is significantly cheaper).

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am

The Museum of Natural History is amazing, but how often are you going to go? Once a year? Lincoln Center is probably the best "culture" near the UWS, but again, you're going what, maybe once every three months? And any of the ACBD123 will get you there in 20 minutes from the WV.

Carnegie Hall is in midtown, the Met, Guggenheim, and Frick are on the UES. I guess they're technically closer to the UWS than to the WV (though I'm not sure they're meaningfully closer), but again, how often are you going to these places?

I'd argue that Comedy Cellar (and all the other comedy clubs)/Cherry Lane Theater (and all the other small theaters downtown with cheap tickets)/Chelsea galleries (plus the smaller museums)/all the music venues downtown are more accessible culture than Lincoln Center or the big museums you're going to go to once in a blue moon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks everybody, sounds like both of them are totally doable. I'm K-JD so I'm young but not really into nightlife. Turns out my brother and cousin are both moving to the village soon though, so I'm leaning towards being closer to them.

My brother who has lived in the city for a few years and who's SO is a partner at a just-outside-the-V100 type firm seems convinced that I need to live in Chelsea because anywhere else worth living, the commute will be tough. What do you guys think? Heading to a V25 in the corporate group.

Dahl

New

Post by Dahl » Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am

Personally I would live in Chelsea, so that I could have a 15-20 minute walk to work and still have the option of the subway or Uber easily when the weather isn’t great. Plenty of nightlife in Chelsea too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 2:16 pm

Dahl wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am
Personally I would live in Chelsea, so that I could have a 15-20 minute walk to work and still have the option of the subway or Uber easily when the weather isn’t great. Plenty of nightlife in Chelsea too.
Deciding between WV and Chelsea... any more insight on the pros/cons between the two?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Dahl wrote:
Deciding between WV and Chelsea... any more insight on the pros/cons between the two?
The housing stock in WV is old. Apartments there are cramped and small, but still hella expensive. By contrast, Chelsea seems to have newer buildings and prices are generally easier to swallow.

To me, Chelsea definitely lacks that WV charm (tree-lined cobblestone streets, European/bohemian vibes). Haven’t spent a ton of time in Chelsea, but it always feels a little bit dead and soulless; Chelsea’s nightlife has 22-year-old-finance-bro energy. Whether it’s worth paying the WV premium…I dunno.

For those factoring in the commute to HY, keep in mind that there’s only small windows of the year where you’d really want to make a 15-25 minute walk. Like September-October and April-June (so ~5 months). I say this as somebody who likes the outdoors, but NYC winters and summers are no joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am
I'd argue that Comedy Cellar (and all the other comedy clubs)/Cherry Lane Theater (and all the other small theaters downtown with cheap tickets)/Chelsea galleries (plus the smaller museums)/all the music venues downtown are more accessible culture than Lincoln Center or the big museums you're going to go to once in a blue moon.
For each their own, of course, hence why I put "culture" in quotes in my original comment. But I have friends who go to (well, went to pre-covid) Lincoln Center every month. Some people really like their museums.

In any event, OP can decide what they prefer based on this discussion/debate.

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dahl wrote:
What're you looking for? Living in one of the newer buildings around 25th and 6th is totally different than living in a walkup on 20th between 9th and 10th even though both are in Chelsea. Similarly, living on Bleecker and Cornelia is totally different than living on Bank and Washington even though they're both in the West Village.

Dahl

New

Post by Dahl » Wed May 05, 2021 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm

The housing stock in WV is old. Apartments there are cramped and small, but still hella expensive. By contrast, Chelsea seems to have newer buildings and prices are generally easier to swallow.

To me, Chelsea definitely lacks that WV charm (tree-lined cobblestone streets, European/bohemian vibes). Haven’t spent a ton of time in Chelsea, but it always feels a little bit dead and soulless; Chelsea’s nightlife has 22-year-old-finance-bro energy. Whether it’s worth paying the WV premium…I dunno.

For those factoring in the commute to HY, keep in mind that there’s only small windows of the year where you’d really want to make a 15-25 minute walk. Like September-October and April-June (so ~5 months). I say this as somebody who likes the outdoors, but NYC winters and summers are no joke.
Don’t disagree about the charm of the WV versus Chelsea (WV is my favorite area of the City) but Chelsea, especially closer to the water, has some charm too. WV nightlife/restaurants also tend to skew younger than Chelsea.

I do disagree about walking to work, though this is truly subjective. When I lived in walking distance to work I did it every season, and walked far more than I took the subway. Really depends on OP. And I would walk through a hailstorm if I could avoid a transfer to the 7 at Times Square or walking from Times Square to HY. But BigLaw hours and hybrid wfh should be factored into this too.

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Dahl wrote:

As someone who grew up on Long Island and has lived in Michigan during the winter and Hong Kong during the summer, walking in NYC weather will not be an issue lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 pm

mwells_56 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 pm
As someone who grew up on Long Island and has lived in Michigan during the winter and Hong Kong during the summer, walking in NYC weather will not be an issue lol
Were you walking around Hong Kong summer in business formal?

Did your part of Michigan have wind-tunnel effect from all the tall buildings around, and large mounds of dirty slush piled up on each street corner?

I jest. It sounds like you know what you’re signing up for.

mwells_56

New

Post by mwells_56 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 pm
mwells_56 wrote:

Did your part of Michigan have wind-tunnel effect from all the tall buildings around, and large mounds of dirty slush piled up on each street corner?

I know you're kidding but yes and yes, lol

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mwells_56 wrote:

I know you were joking, I used to bike from the UWS to FiDi when I lived in New York every day of the year unless it was raining hard. Other than the 4-5 100 degree days, it was quite tolerable. You aren't out in the middle of the day when it's all that hot. NYC doesn't get that cold. Only problem in the winter is rain.

wldecisions

New

Post by wldecisions » Thu May 06, 2021 1:17 pm

mwells_56 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
mwells_56 wrote:

I know you're kidding but yes and yes, lol
My condolences

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm

nealric wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
mwells_56 wrote:

I know you were joking, I used to bike from the UWS to FiDi when I lived in New York every day of the year unless it was raining hard. Other than the 4-5 100 degree days, it was quite tolerable. You aren't out in the middle of the day when it's all that hot. NYC doesn't get that cold. Only problem in the winter is rain.
How did you deal with: (i) sweatiness, and (ii) bike storage on the FiDi end?

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Thu May 06, 2021 5:24 pm

You can get a Chelsea or UWS sort of vibe in any major city on earth.

There's only one where it feels like the west village.

clerk2020

New

Post by clerk2020 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm

Thoughts on the best Brooklyn neighborhoods for ease of commute to bryant park-ish area while also getting more bang for your buck in terms of rent price/space? Not saying I need a luxury building or more than a one bedroom or anything but in unit laundry sounds nice.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon May 10, 2021 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm
nealric wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
mwells_56 wrote:

How did you deal with: (i) sweatiness, and (ii) bike storage on the FiDi end?
(i) Sweatiness wasn't usually too bad except for a few of the hottest weeks in summer. It's usually relatively cool in the mornings. I also tend not to sweat much. For the few weeks it was an issue, I'd go to the gym a block away from the office first and shower (work clothes in backpack). (ii) I rode a Brompton folding bike and stored it under my desk. The folding bike is also key because you can put it in the trunk of a cab or carry it easily on the subway if weather or late work causes you to get home another way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”