Why the fixation with Kirkland? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Why the fixation with Kirkland?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Have offers from K&E, MB and Katten to join their finance groups. K&E obviously best signing bonus. Am I crazy to take K&E's money?

Sackboy

Silver

Post by Sackboy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Have offers from K&E, MB and Katten to join their finance groups. K&E obviously best signing bonus. Am I crazy to take K&E's money?
Is taking a V10 offer with the best signing bonus crazy? Ya'll make me lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Is taking a V10 offer with the best signing bonus crazy? Ya'll make me lol.
Same anon. I have friends at MB and Katten that work 2000-2100 and they say that range is typical in finance there. I know K&E is a different animal. Only reason I have some hesitation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Go to Kirkland. The other places are awful. I can’t believe we are even discussing it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 am

Anon since I’m at K&E. To the poster above who has an offer, really think about whether the signing bonus and lock up will turn into shackles that prevent you from going somewhere else. Just my two cents. 1 year lockup isn’t terrible but I’ve heard the very very large signing bonuses going with 2-3 year lockups depending on size.

I’d focus on the firms and fit more and less on the money unless money is a specific concern for you (IE lots of debt that you can’t pay down other than getting more money). Kirkland isn’t any better or worse than any white shoe firm (I lateraled from one), but with its deal flow it is definitely a very long sustained grind that you need to be prepared for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am

What kind of clawback periods are coming with the huge signing bonuses? Like the last poster said, think hard about it if it's more than 1 year. Lateraling to KE right now is a good move if you are sure that you can take at least 18 months of getting crushed because you will bank lots of cash in that period.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 am
Anon since I’m at K&E. To the poster above who has an offer, really think about whether the signing bonus and lock up will turn into shackles that prevent you from going somewhere else. Just my two cents. 1 year lockup isn’t terrible but I’ve heard the very very large signing bonuses going with 2-3 year lockups depending on size.

I’d focus on the firms and fit more and less on the money unless money is a specific concern for you (IE lots of debt that you can’t pay down other than getting more money). Kirkland isn’t any better or worse than any white shoe firm (I lateraled from one), but with its deal flow it is definitely a very long sustained grind that you need to be prepared for.
Thanks for the response. My current firm does not have enough work in the group I am in, I am billing 30 hours tops on the regular for the past 2.5 months. I thought maybe it was a message to me to go, but I spoke with other associates and they were very worried about hours also. I want 2-3 years of grinding to learn and develop and then move to inhouse. I know K&E is brutal, but I have heard their finance practice is not as bad as corporate. For 3 years, to pay down student debt and save up for a house, seems like I can stretch it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 am

Thanks for the response. My current firm does not have enough work in the group I am in, I am billing 30 hours tops on the regular for the past 2.5 months. I thought maybe it was a message to me to go, but I spoke with other associates and they were very worried about hours also. I want 2-3 years of grinding to learn and develop and then move to inhouse. I know K&E is brutal, but I have heard their finance practice is not as bad as corporate. For 3 years, to pay down student debt and save up for a house, seems like I can stretch it.
Following up from what I said above. My advice would be to put the bonus money in a savings account for at least six months and don’t touch a dime. You definitely don’t want to resent taking the money if it turns out to be too much. Money isn’t everything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 pm

Anyone know the timeline for hearing back after a second round at KE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”