Average amount of time off taken between jobs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paperrev

New

Average amount of time off taken between jobs?

Post by paperrev » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:28 am

I am 4th year associate who was just given a lateral offer in a different state. The firm said that they were busy, but said that they would understand if I needed time to coordinate my move. Given that I think this will be my last opportunity to really UNPLUG for a while, what would be a reasonable amount of time to ask for to start? Can other people shed some light on how much time they have taken off before starting their new job? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Re: Average amount of time off taken between jobs?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm

I’ve heard a rule of thumb is that a gap of more than one month on the resume can be a red flag. So if you exit your current firm in March, you’d want a start date no later than May.

If you give notice soon and leave in mid-March, then start the new role in late May, you’re giving yourself a nice ten-week (unpaid) vacation with only one “gap” month on the resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:29 pm

It’s nice that your new firm is understanding. I had a weekend off between old and new job. The firm is extremely busy and was not okay with waiting months.

Also, this is crazier given that I moved cities.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm
I’ve heard a rule of thumb is that a gap of more than one month on the resume can be a red flag.
I don't think this is remotely true. If there's a month+ gap between all your previous jobs, that might be something of a red flag suggesting you keep getting fired, but even that's kind of leaping to conclusions. I guess I can't say no one will ever do that, but in the context of an entire resume, a month+ gap isn't going to raise questions assuming everything else is fine.

I also don't think there's any real average or rule; it's basically what you can negotiate with your former and new employer. It's true that a lot of employers hire when they need someone, and so don't want to wait weeks and weeks for them to start. Making someone move cities over a weekend is brutal, though. Obviously sometimes you just can't push back, but hopefully that would be rare.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:50 pm

If you leave your firm in March, starting in April (up to the very end of the month) allows you to avoid having any resume gap at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:14 pm

The potential resume gap is just not something I’d worry about at all. I would say 2 weeks is pretty average, but not reason not to take more if the firm will let you.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:54 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think two weeks is reasonable, assuming the other firm is fine waiting a month (2 week notice + 2 weeks off)

paperrev

New

Post by paperrev » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 am

Would asking for end of May seem unreasonable? I don't want to start off with the wrong impression.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 am

You can take up to almost 2 months leaving no resume gap. For example, last day is on March 1st, and first day at the new firm is on April 30th. I wouldn't do any resume gap if I was you--to avoid any potential negative inference if I could have avoided it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 am

Pro-tip: Stop listing months on your resume. Switch to years. That way, no gap unless you break across a December/January boundary. (If you still have law school summer things on your resume, label them as "Summer 2018" and the like.)

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:28 am

polareagle wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 am
Pro-tip: Stop listing months on your resume. Switch to years. That way, no gap unless you break across a December/January boundary. (If you still have law school summer things on your resume, label them as "Summer 2018" and the like.)
Yes, this (but also: no one would care about a resume gap from March to May. No one).

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:32 am

paperrev wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 am
Would asking for end of May seem unreasonable? I don't want to start off with the wrong impression.
As long as you ask politely and respectfully, it’s fine. They may say they really need you sooner and push back, in which case you’ll probably want to agree to something somewhat sooner, but just asking is fine, especially since you need to move from another state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 am

I lateraled within the last six months and took two months off between leaving and starting. It did involve relocation though, which is genuinely time and and energy consuming. The firm said they were happy for me to start immediately, but understood if I needed some time. I've felt no negative consequences to that kind of gap and would encourage people who are feeling burned out to take it. An old law school friend of mine also took a two month break between jobs, but he and his partner were in a tighter financial situation because they had to sell property, high student loans, etc, so they were stressed the whole time. Everyone's situation differs. I was able to spend several weeks just relaxing, and it was a great mental health pause before getting to know new colleagues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:10 am

I’m about to ask for a six month gap before coming back from a clerkship.

If they don’t go for it, I’ll just find another job.

Life ain’t all about work, and these opportunities are rare.

(Anon cause this would obvs out me to anyone who hears about my request at the firm)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”