Do all V100 firms give offers after SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do all V100 firms give offers after SA positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Assuming adequate performance, is it safe to assume that all V100 firms offer about 100% of their summer associates full-time positions? I know this depends on the market and if you are turning in adequate work, but just trying to get a sense if my assumptions are correct.

Anonymous User

Re: Do all V100 firms give offers after SA positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm

There's no way to make this assumption without knowing what market you're referring to - as you pointed out.

Is it generally your offer to lose if you perform adequately (even though the bar is much lower for an SA) at a firm with a big summer class in NYC (V10-20)? Definitely. But you should keep in mind that this is not always true - even in NYC - when you're targeting firms with smaller classes or working at their satellite offices. Sometimes this correlates with their ranking on Vault and sometimes it doesn't. This is why you should always check each firm office's NALP data.

I'm not an expert on every market, but the reason this assumption is dangerous is because various well-ranked firms with offices in the south, for example, commonly have 50-70% offer rates regardless of adequate performance. I'm sure it's probably better somewhere like DC, Chicago, LA, or even Houston, but still.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 pm
There's no way to make this assumption without knowing what market you're referring to - as you pointed out.

Is it generally your offer to lose if you perform adequately (even though the bar is much lower for an SA) at a firm with a big summer class in NYC (V10-20)? Definitely. But you should keep in mind that this is not always true - even in NYC - when you're targeting firms with smaller classes or working at their satellite offices. Sometimes this correlates with their ranking on Vault and sometimes it doesn't. This is why you should always check each firm office's NALP data.

I'm not an expert on every market, but the reason this assumption is dangerous is because various well-ranked firms with offices in the south, for example, commonly have 50-70% offer rates regardless of adequate performance. I'm sure it's probably better somewhere like DC, Chicago, LA, or even Houston, but still.
Thank you for responding! the firm I am referring to is somewhere in the V40 - V60 band and it is their NYC office. I know it would be impossible to say for sure, but just trying to get a sense.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for responding! the firm I am referring to is somewhere in the V40 - V60 band and it is their NYC office. I know it would be impossible to say for sure, but just trying to get a sense.
I'm pretty sure that you can figure this out from the information they report to NALP. Last I checked (which was admittedly a couple years ago), they provide data on summer associate class size and number of offers extended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Most reputed firms with largish summer classes will have as close to a 100% offer rate as possible (but there always seems to be a SA who gets too drunk or makes too many off handed comments that leads to a no offer). The scariest thing is getting cold offered by a firm because it's not really reported anywhere. This is where the firm gives you an offer to hold onto their reporting standards but it's given with the assumption that you shouldn't take the offer because they don't want you. But even then, I can't imagine that this is too common but it is a possibility. The common sentiment is that if you're a normal human being who tries during the summer at a financially healthy firm, you will almost always get an offer to return to the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:04 pm

Barrred wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you can figure this out from the information they report to NALP. Last I checked (which was admittedly a couple years ago), they provide data on summer associate class size and number of offers extended.
Different user, but my satellite office in California (V50) had one SA last summer, and they received an offer. Is there any way to check data from previous years on NALP? I feel like my sample size is just way too small to have any idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”