Best / Nicest Law Firm Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Best / Nicest Law Firm Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:49 am
K&E NY: Great views, very pretty building. Probably my favorite New York office I went to.
S&C NY: Also very pretty building, great location. Also, unlike a lot of other office spaces, it looks great from the outside.
DPW NY: Seemed pretty average, but had some good amenities (I think it had a nice cafeteria. Some of the floors had recently been remodeled)
Gibson NY: Also seemed pretty average. Nothing sticks out in my memory.
Skadden NY: Their current Times Square office is fine (aside from the terrible location), but I was able to see a video of the new office they're building in Hudson Yards (I think they were set to move in this year? But that was a while ago) which looked gorgeous.
Weil NY: This stuck out to me as by far the ugliest office of the firms I went to in New York. Offices were smaller, the hallway lighting was bad (headache-inducing fluorescent lights), and the walls were oddly bare.
DPW Silicon Valley: Felt kind of like a spa. Very pretty building, kind of remote, though.
K&E SV: Kinda fun game room, basketball court. Very small office, though.
WSGR SV: They have a nice little cafeteria and smoothie bar.
K&E DC: Very pretty building, great view of the city.
Covington DC: Also gorgeous building.
Weil recently renovated their offices. This is what it looks like now: https://www.weil.com/publications/offic ... tml#page=1

^ if accurate, Weil has to elevate in this list

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm

I've been working at Skadden's new NYC office in Hudson Yards off-and-on for the last month or so. (One of only a handful of attorneys who've been in since the office opened a week before the pandemic.) My takes:

Insane views 360*--for now. That will change when 2 Manhattan West comes up and blocks the southern exposure (you can bet all the junior associates will have the south-facing offices).

Exactly what you'd expect from a brand new building. Glass and lots of natural light. First and second years share internal offices (no nightmare open floor plan), but even in these internals you can see through the glass to windows (so you've got that going for you which is nice). Each floor has the typical amenities: snack room/coffee/seltzer dispensers. The more-upscale amenities like the cafe/gym/etc. are rumored to be super nice, but are not open at this point.

Location is ideal from a commuting perspective (similar in convenience to DPW/STB in proximity to a transportation hub). OMW is right by Penn Station and you walk through the newly open Moynahan Train Hall to get to work--it drops you off right across the street.

Suspect next year, regular trips to MSG to watch the Knicks might be a thing (it's only a block away). Hudson Yards itself--you know, as folks have said it's still developing. But, there's a Sweetgreen and Whole Foods on the block along with a handful of coffee shops. For super high-end dining, Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare is two blocks north. So, it's not a desert like some make it out to be. But it is fair to say that more will come with time and COVID subsiding. Also, scoff at the "authenticity" comment posted before. Anyone who wants "authenticity" in this part of Manhattan should probably just WFH from Astoria or wherever.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Anyone have insight on Latham's new NY office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:37 pm
Anyone know about PW NY?
PW has a great art collection and does an annual tour with the curator. The cafeteria has a window with gorgeous expansive views of Central Park, which is fun to look out during the weekly cocktail hour. The building connects to the Rockefeller concourse, so it’s possible to go straight to the office from the subway and grab lunch down there without having to brave the crowds/weather. The cafeteria is decent, heavily subsidized, and a bunch of drinks (coffees, lattes, etc) are free. That’s about where the positives end.

The conference floors are nice (marble, artwork) but the office floors are drab and dark. First years share an internal office with frosted glass doors. Second years get their own internal office. Third years get an external office once there’s room for them to switch. The office floors themselves are a maze in order to fit the maximum number of internal offices, and I still get lost all the time on my own floor. There are pantries on odd numbered floors that have a basic selection of coffees and teas and a refrigerator and microwave. The elevator bank system can be annoying to navigate, but that’s a negative in most skyscrapers. I do enjoy going to the concourse for lunch, but that tends to become the default since it’s so easy to not have to brave the crowds outside, and it would be nice to see some daylight once in a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone know about PW NY?
PW has a great art collection and does an annual tour with the curator. The cafeteria has a window with gorgeous expansive views of Central Park, which is fun to look out during the weekly cocktail hour. The building connects to the Rockefeller concourse, so it’s possible to go straight to the office from the subway and grab lunch down there without having to brave the crowds/weather. The cafeteria is decent, heavily subsidized, and a bunch of drinks (coffees, lattes, etc) are free. That’s about where the positives end.

The conference floors are nice (marble, artwork) but the office floors are drab and dark. First years share an internal office with frosted glass doors. Second years get their own internal office. Third years get an external office once there’s room for them to switch. The office floors themselves are a maze in order to fit the maximum number of internal offices, and I still get lost all the time on my own floor. There are pantries on odd numbered floors that have a basic selection of coffees and teas and a refrigerator and microwave. The elevator bank system can be annoying to navigate, but that’s a negative in most skyscrapers. I do enjoy going to the concourse for lunch, but that tends to become the default since it’s so easy to not have to brave the crowds outside, and it would be nice to see some daylight once in a while.
How much is an average lunch in their cafeteria? And can you get free coffees throughout the day? And off topic but have they announced reopening plans yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm
Anyone have insight on Latham's new NY office?
New office is absolutely sick. Have only been in a few times and couldn’t get a great sense of how the office would feel with things running normally, but it’s a huge upgrade from our older offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:18 pm
Many moons ago I was at Milbank LA when they moved offices. The Century City offices were nice and new, but had clear glass doors on the offices which was a total bummer. But, any firm that has a free full service barista is very nice in my book.

S&C's office in LA looks like a rich grandma's house. Ugh.
Any opinions on other firms' LA officers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:34 am

I think the Fried Frank DC office is really nice. Very modern feeling despite not being that new relative to some places, like Goodwin who just moved into a brand new building prior to the pandemic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:49 am

The firms that move into the new One Vanderbilt building in midtown (I believe McDermott and Greenberg Traurig, probably others) are likely to have some of the best office space in the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Many moons ago I was at Milbank LA when they moved offices. The Century City offices were nice and new, but had clear glass doors on the offices which was a total bummer. But, any firm that has a free full service barista is very nice in my book.

I was only in it briefly, but GDC's office had one hell of a view. Common spaces all looked great.

Irell was pretty stuffy and old-school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone know about PW NY?

How much is an average lunch in their cafeteria? And can you get free coffees throughout the day? And off topic but have they announced reopening plans yet?
It's been a while, but I remember the average lunch being under $10 for a hot main or salad. Breakfast is just a few dollars. Free drinks from the cafeteria any time of day it's open, and free drinks from the pantry all the time. They're announcing return to office policy on Friday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Both of K&E's offices (DTLA and CC) are brand new and really impressive. Especially DTLA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:16 pm

WilmerHale NY is beautiful

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 am

Intel on CSM? I know its considered shabby but what is the food at the cafeteria like/gym subsidy etc.

And are the offices that bad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 am
Intel on CSM? I know its considered shabby but what is the food at the cafeteria like/gym subsidy etc.

And are the offices that bad?
Friend described it as old-fashioned. But they are moving to Manhattan West in 2024?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:16 pm
WilmerHale NY is beautiful
In what sense? I'm going to find out soon anyways, but I'm curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Every associate gets a window office at WSGR Palo Alto which is nice

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 am

bump.

how's K&E NY? Also curious about Sidley CHI

rkdgusdn

New

Post by rkdgusdn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 pm

Sidley NY anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 am
bump.

KE NY is really dependent on the floor. We have a bunch and have been renovating floor-by-floor for several years now, so some of them are really new and nice, while others are clearly outdated. However KE is not shy about spending money on office renovations, so once the renovation is fully complete, it will no doubt be very nice.

Similarly....

KE Boston -- among the nicest biglaw offices I've ever been inside. Complete gut renovation of two very high floors (I think 46 and 47), so you have a birds-eye view of the entire city of Boston. Game room with ping pong, shuffleboard, TV, beer and wine kegs. Kitchen area fully stocked with snacks all day, cold brew kegs, etc. Offices are all filled with electric sit/stand desks and generally nice furniture.

KE Los Angeles -- both DTLA and CC offices were complete gut renovations just before the pandemic. As a result, they might be the nicest offices in the firm right now (haven't been to Houston but heard it's awesome, and I'm sure they'll do something really cool in Austin).

As a general rule of thumb, KE is very clearly not concerned about $$$$ when it comes to office space.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 am
bump.

KE NY is really dependent on the floor. We have a bunch and have been renovating floor-by-floor for several years now, so some of them are really new and nice, while others are clearly outdated. However KE is not shy about spending money on office renovations, so once the renovation is fully complete, it will no doubt be very nice.

Similarly....

KE Boston -- among the nicest biglaw offices I've ever been inside. Complete gut renovation of two very high floors (I think 46 and 47), so you have a birds-eye view of the entire city of Boston. Game room with ping pong, shuffleboard, TV, beer and wine kegs. Kitchen area fully stocked with snacks all day, cold brew kegs, etc. Offices are all filled with electric sit/stand desks and generally nice furniture.

KE Los Angeles -- both DTLA and CC offices were complete gut renovations just before the pandemic. As a result, they might be the nicest offices in the firm right now (haven't been to Houston but heard it's awesome, and I'm sure they'll do something really cool in Austin).

As a general rule of thumb, KE is very clearly not concerned about $$$$ when it comes to office space.
Honest question — do people actually play ping pong and use the keg? I know numerous people at KE Boston and no one has ever mentioned those things to me (as cool things).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm

there were people playing ping pong when I did a my office tour awhile back but that could just be manufactured

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 pm

[*]
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm
there were people playing ping pong when I did a my office tour awhile back but that could just be manufactured
Given the fact that KE is not really known as a lifestyle firm, I’m going to assume that it’s manufactured. Although I guess there could always be people who have no active deals at any given point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:19 am

2013 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 pm
[*]
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm
Given the fact that KE is not really known as a lifestyle firm, I’m going to assume that it’s manufactured. Although I guess there could always be people who have no active deals at any given point.
OG anon wasn't at K&E and they were being pretty competitive about the game to the point where i bought it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Any thoughts on K&E's Chicago HQ? Heading there this year. It looks nice from the photos but curious how it stacks up to other Chicago firms and K&E's other offices.
It’s quite nice, but I personally think DC and Houston are both nicer. Great balcony overlooking the river though.
Anyone have more insight about what K&E's HQ is like?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”