Best / Nicest Law Firm Offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Best / Nicest Law Firm Offices

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Any thoughts on K&E's Chicago HQ? Heading there this year. It looks nice from the photos but curious how it stacks up to other Chicago firms and K&E's other offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:56 pm

lawbear2022 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:29 pm
Covington SF sent me photos of their new office space before my callback this year. They recently moved into the Salesforce Tower and it looks like they have some of the best views in the Bay Area.

Do any Silicon Valley firms have offices that stand out or are they all run of the mill suburban corporate office park?
I've been to WSGR and PH in SV, both were pretty bland office park types. WSGR was the nicer of the two, though PH was still finishing up a remodel when I was there. WSGR has a weird layout though, and it seems like it would be annoying to get around, if you needed to do so.

On a related note, the SEC HQ has one of the most fucked up layouts of any building I've ever been in. The actual digs are fine (it's a generic modern office), but it has this MC Escher-esque layout that makes it incredibly hard to navigate, and the size of the building makes it easy to get lost.

Also, the signs are hilariously unhelpful. You'll come across some where one area will have three different direction arrows, telling you nothing besides "this bloc of offices is somewhere in a 270 degree cone ahead of you."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm

What is STB's NYC office like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Heard Proskauer Rose in NY is pretty nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Any thoughts on K&E's Chicago HQ? Heading there this year. It looks nice from the photos but curious how it stacks up to other Chicago firms and K&E's other offices.
It’s quite nice, but I personally think DC and Houston are both nicer. Great balcony overlooking the river though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 am
I had a callback at K&E SF. It's housed at 555 California St. The views were incredible. The building has convex windows that make every office feel like a corner office.
I think Sidley SF is also in this building too, really great views!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:20 pm

Not a law firm, but I visited KKR's Menlo Park office for a meeting just before COVID hit and it is frankly absurd. The whole place feels like a country club, complete with a full-time private chef (who will apparently make anything you want) and a butler bring smoothies door-to-door around 3pm every day. Makes all the firm offices I've seen feel lame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:42 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:00 pm
Any word on what S&C's offices are like? Know they own the building and there's a gym but do associates get offices etc.?
Junior associates typically share offices with a tiny window. But the gym is quite nice and the cafeteria is pretty good. Exceptional views in the partner's offices.
I worked at S&C. Juniors mostly paired in offices but 3 sides of the building all can see the East River and it's pretty amazing. Some juniors get lucky and end up with their own office - just luck of the draw/placement. Think everyone is in their own before year 3. The firm has an awesome selection of art you can choose from if you're homies with the maintenance dudes. Pretty sure everyone can request/easily get a VariDesk for standing. Cafeteria and library views are sick (of East River, BK/LIC, Statue of Liberty). There is dark wood and gold-colored metal everywhere - tan and blue carpeting throughout almost the entire building except the more modern redesigned floors (35 among others). Biggest partners are in corner offices - NorthEast corner partner office views are unreal. The cafeteria is half a floor and has salad bar, custom chop salad station, 4 diff entrees and a new theme every day, sandwich station, fruit bar, every breakfast option you can imagine until 10 am, burgers available every day, pizza Fridays. Definitely feels like an old-school Wall St. vibe you'd see in an 80-90s movie (think The Firm but on a supergrand scale).

I can answer specific Qs if someone has them - just post in here.
I have been to S&C's office for cb last year. The office looks rather outdated tbh, and a lil depressing in the hallway area. Def the opposite of modern look, VERY old-school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:56 pm

In addition to the top-of-the-skyscraper atrium and the usual collection of glittering glass, fancy conference rooms, and shiny office details, the Kirkland Houston has some nice little perks. Cold brew coffee kegs on multiple floors, beer kegs, liquor cabinet, all free. Big expensive Italian espresso machine in the atrium (and standard coffee machines spread around). A rotating menu of free breakfast food and snacks in the center area of each floor (admittedly mostly cereal, donuts, bagels, and other delicious carbs that you shouldn't eat, but some fruit or whatever too). All (most?) of the conference rooms include fridges hidden in the cabinets/wall that are full of sodas and other beverages to grab.

Each floor has a mini kitchen area, along with one that includes food for purchase (sandwiches, wraps, etc. in addition to basic vending machine snacks). The kitchens include water dispensers of multiple types (still, sparkling, etc) and K&E branded glass bottles to drink/pour it out of. The staff pre-fills a bunch of fresh bottles every morning for people to grab. Speaking of staff, they cater so many meetings and events that the firm has its own permanent in-house catering company in the building, so there's always free food popping up. Not sure how that might change post-COVID.

There is both an elevator and an internal staircase, and it's useful to have options for jumping between floors. The offices are all glass-walled, which is lame for privacy but good for looking fancy. I guess it's just good that it's not an open office (those are the devil). All the offices have automated standing desks and other standard-modern-office accoutrements. Last I heard, first years all get their own office on the internal part of the floor. Second or third years upgrade to a window office. Partner offices are obviously bigger and fancier.

There is a free gym on site, though it's shared with the rest of the building. The office has its own parking garage, and the firm pays for it - super convenient.

Probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's an overview. In general, the firm seems to focus more on growing revenue (read: hours + billing rates) than it does on cutting costs. Which is actually something to reflect on, because a lot of companies are cost-focused, and thus nickel-and-dime you on quality of life. Frustrating. If I'm going to work my ass off either way, I'd prefer to do so at a firm that will spend money to make it more bearable - and K&E does.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Curious 2L - any thoughts on DPW (NY)? Is there a gym / is it nice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm
What is STB's NYC office like?
average, a bit old

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:58 pm
lots of wood, light colored wood compared to sullivan and paul weiss (both dark colored wood)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 am
Anyone know how PW's NY office is?
Very nice art collection
Very average-looking office based on my cb visit (last year), but pretty specious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:48 pm
average, a bit old
Any perks? Gym? Coffee? Associate shared offices? Benefits? Plans to move to a new one?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:25 pm

Any thoughts on Covington's DC office? It seems relatively new/modern.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:29 pm

I would be horrified and humiliated to work in any open plan office, or an office without solid walls and doors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:58 pm
lots of wood, light colored wood compared to sullivan and paul weiss (both dark colored wood)
DPW's NYC office is pretty average. Biggest thing in its favor is probably the location (right on top of Grand Central), which makes lots of places workable from a commute perspective.

In general, associates share offices through at least the first 2 years, and for considerably longer in some groups. DPW built some new internal offices 2-3 years ago that you can choose if you prefer not having an officemate and are willing to tolerate not having any sunlight. For the offices with windows, views are nice towards the very top of the building, but on the other floors in most directions the views are just of the buildings across the street.

There is not a gym in the building. Subsidized gym memberships are available, and as you'd expect for midtown, there are a bunch of gyms in the immediate neighborhood.

Cafeteria is pretty similar to how S&C's was described above in terms of food options, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:58 pm

In terms of NY, I liked Covington's office the best (very pretty color schemes) followed by Cleary with its large-windowed offices. PW has a bunch of internal non-windowed offices which I didn't like, but Latham's open space layouts are just about the worst thing imaginable.

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Really jealous of that S&C cafeteria. Is the food free? Does the gym have power racks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm

lawlo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Really jealous of that S&C cafeteria. Is the food free? Does the gym have power racks?
Food is not free but is subsidized by the firm so a normal lunch will cost $6-8 which is half of the cheapest meal you'll find at shops in FiDi. Never been to the gym, but it's in the basement of the building so I imagine it's fully stocked. Oh, and there is a daycare in the lobby too! Should've mentioned that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:26 pm

lawlo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:07 pm
The gym is really nice. Has power racks, proper benches, and everything. I think S&C's actual office is whatever though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 pm

Curious if anyone's been to or heard anything about the new 110 N Wacker building which will soon house Perkins Coie, Jones Day, Morgan Lewis, and King & Spalding's Chicago offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:56 pm
In addition to the top-of-the-skyscraper atrium and the usual collection of glittering glass, fancy conference rooms, and shiny office details, the Kirkland Houston has some nice little perks. Cold brew coffee kegs on multiple floors, beer kegs, liquor cabinet, all free. Big expensive Italian espresso machine in the atrium (and standard coffee machines spread around). A rotating menu of free breakfast food and snacks in the center area of each floor (admittedly mostly cereal, donuts, bagels, and other delicious carbs that you shouldn't eat, but some fruit or whatever too). All (most?) of the conference rooms include fridges hidden in the cabinets/wall that are full of sodas and other beverages to grab.

Each floor has a mini kitchen area, along with one that includes food for purchase (sandwiches, wraps, etc. in addition to basic vending machine snacks). The kitchens include water dispensers of multiple types (still, sparkling, etc) and K&E branded glass bottles to drink/pour it out of. The staff pre-fills a bunch of fresh bottles every morning for people to grab. Speaking of staff, they cater so many meetings and events that the firm has its own permanent in-house catering company in the building, so there's always free food popping up. Not sure how that might change post-COVID.

There is both an elevator and an internal staircase, and it's useful to have options for jumping between floors. The offices are all glass-walled, which is lame for privacy but good for looking fancy. I guess it's just good that it's not an open office (those are the devil). All the offices have automated standing desks and other standard-modern-office accoutrements. Last I heard, first years all get their own office on the internal part of the floor. Second or third years upgrade to a window office. Partner offices are obviously bigger and fancier.

There is a free gym on site, though it's shared with the rest of the building. The office has its own parking garage, and the firm pays for it - super convenient.

Probably more that I'm forgetting, but that's an overview. In general, the firm seems to focus more on growing revenue (read: hours + billing rates) than it does on cutting costs. Which is actually something to reflect on, because a lot of companies are cost-focused, and thus nickel-and-dime you on quality of life. Frustrating. If I'm going to work my ass off either way, I'd prefer to do so at a firm that will spend money to make it more bearable - and K&E does.
This is good info, but also weirdly recruitment-y and kool-aidy. Anyways, I have visited their office and it is indeed very nice. There's a fountain in the lobby of the building, which is cool.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:34 pm

jackshunger wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:35 pm
It might be more useful for people to put down the worst offices. Law firms with open office plans need to be named and shamed - Latham NY I think has one.
Latham is moving into its new building sometime this spring and (at least from the renderings) it looks AWESOME. Brand-new offices at 1271 Avenue of the Americas. At least in the old building, first-years could opt in to the open office plan (or alternatively, elect to get a shared office). I was a summer associate in the open-office layout and honestly, I loved being near my colleagues and being able to socialize/bitch about stuff without leaving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”