Nashville Salary Scale + Bonus Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goanchors

New

Re: Nashville Salary Scale + Bonus

Post by goanchors » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Is there any rumbling about Nashville firms possibly increasing associate salaries given the raises going on at other firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm

goanchors wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm
Is there any rumbling about Nashville firms possibly increasing associate salaries given the raises going on at other firms?
They literally just moved up so I'm not hopeful, though with Polsinelli's move to 170 base coupled with remote firms like K&E offering even more money for laterals, maybe we'll see a move to 170.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Do you know what the new Bass scale is? 155 to what?

toomuchtoosoon

New

Post by toomuchtoosoon » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm
goanchors wrote:
They literally just moved up so I'm not hopeful, though with Polsinelli's move to 170 base coupled with remote firms like K&E offering even more money for laterals, maybe we'll see a move to 170.
A couple have moved to match. It’s great. Time for firms to pony up or admit second-class citizenship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:52 am

toomuchtoosoon wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 pm
goanchors wrote:
A couple have moved to match. It’s great. Time for firms to pony up or admit second-class citizenship.
Bass is at 170, who isn't?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 am

Bradley is there. Anyone know what the next tier down is doing? Or what Baker/Waller is doing? Poor bands (Baker)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 am

Also very interested. What is the salary scale after the first year? Is it highly compressed now? Or will these firms pay close to $300k (or more) for 8th years now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 am
Also very interested. What is the salary scale after the first year? Is it highly compressed now? Or will these firms pay close to $300k (or more) for 8th years now?
Still massively compressed. 8th year is around $260K before bonus and doesn't hit 300k even with bonus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Baker is at 155k with meager bonuses

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toomuchtoosoon

New

Post by toomuchtoosoon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:14 pm
Baker is at 155k with meager bonuses
Yeah but y’all work less

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 am
Bradley is there. Anyone know what the next tier down is doing? Or what Baker/Waller is doing? Poor bands (Baker)
Wait did Bradley move to 170?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 am
Wait did Bradley move to 170?
Yes - BABC moved to new scale in August.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 pm

Baker moved to 185k first year 🥳

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

musiccityboer

New

Post by musiccityboer » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 pm
Nashville to Cravath scale 2022 confirmed lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you know what the scale looks like beyond first year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Not the OP, but I imagine the standard amounts of high compression the Nashville firms have always been know for and will do little to protect against the high midlevel attrition.

Also, I'm now grossly underpaid either way, the rest of the big 4 needs to follow.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not the OP, but I imagine the standard amounts of high compression the Nashville firms have always been know for and will do little to protect against the high midlevel attrition.

Also, I'm now grossly underpaid either way, the rest of the big 4 needs to follow.
I believe seventh years are at $285k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:21 pm

2013 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn, this would significantly reduce compression at least on the scale my firm is at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:32 am

Anon from earlier. Won’t drop the full scale but Baker is not being cheap (compared to how Nashville firms used to play it) and clearly, a gauntlet has been thrown here. Nashville will hit Cravath in 2022.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:54 pm

2013 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Newsflash: no such thing as “the big 4” anymore. If you’re at Waller, better hope they get acquired. Baker, Bradley, and Bass have much more to stand on. Bradley and Bass will struggle if they don’t raise soon. I don’t doubt Bass will but Bradley, who knows. They don’t pay close to market in any major market. They might be stretched too thin. They’ve always been a weird moderate between Baker and Bass, on several levels. Bass is more heavily concentrated in less markets and enjoys prime status in those places, except D.C. Honestly, all these firms are AmLaw fodder and have enjoyed a false sense of supremacy for too long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:32 am
Anon from earlier. Won’t drop the full scale but Baker is not being cheap (compared to how Nashville firms used to play it) and clearly, a gauntlet has been thrown here. Nashville will hit Cravath in 2022.
Highly doubt this will happen in 2022. I know junior partners at some of the firms who are fuming right now because they’re now making less than senior associates. I’ve noticed that these smaller regional southern firms have bigger classes of junior/nonequity partners than other places. Unless they are willing to raise those salaries as well, I think it’ll be very hard for them to bump again to Cravath in 2022. Also, the rates couldn’t sustain that kind of bump.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:54 pm
Newsflash: no such thing as “the big 4” anymore. If you’re at Waller, better hope they get acquired. Baker, Bradley, and Bass have much more to stand on. Bradley and Bass will struggle if they don’t raise soon. I don’t doubt Bass will but Bradley, who knows. They don’t pay close to market in any major market. They might be stretched too thin. They’ve always been a weird moderate between Baker and Bass, on several levels. Bass is more heavily concentrated in less markets and enjoys prime status in those places, except D.C. Honestly, all these firms are AmLaw fodder and have enjoyed a false sense of supremacy for too long.
I think this is largely correct. Waller probably could use a merger partner, though I don't know how attractive they are from a numerical standpoint. I also doubt they would be willing to do anything less than equals because their brand in Nashville is pretty solid and losing that name may have ramifications. I admittedly thought they should have found a partner about five years ago, so what do I know.

Bradley is going to have a problem. They have too many associates in Birmingham and a match to $185k is going to have people in Bham pissed (they are already mad about salary compression there and how much that gap has grown between Nashville and Birmingham). I imagine a raise in Nashville will also require a raise in Birmingham and that's probably easily $2-5MM.

Lots of firms trying to break into Nashville, but the big four have done a good job closing ranks and keeping out-of-town firms out. I will be interested to see how K&L fares but I am not optimistic, especially on the litigation side. Unless Waller (see above) or Bass merges (which it has been resistant to for years, despite offers from V20), I don't see anyone coming to town and having success (unless Baker or Bradley merge, but they're both probably too big).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:32 am
Highly doubt this will happen in 2022. I know junior partners at some of the firms who are fuming right now because they’re now making less than senior associates. I’ve noticed that these smaller regional southern firms have bigger classes of junior/nonequity partners than other places. Unless they are willing to raise those salaries as well, I think it’ll be very hard for them to bump again to Cravath in 2022. Also, the rates couldn’t sustain that kind of bump.
You don’t have to believe something for it to be true lol. I didn’t say these baby firms would be the ones raising. I said the top of Nashville would match Cravath. A bunch of AmLaw firms (all the way to the top) have been salivating over Nashville for years, just waiting. What highly desirable summer or junior associate is going to walk away from 200+? I work in “the big 4” and I know people working AmLaw hours for non-AmLaw pay. The rates will come up. All partners here do is gripe about how low their rates are. There’s a lot of factors that will soon make the perfect storm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I think this is largely correct. Waller probably could use a merger partner, though I don't know how attractive they are from a numerical standpoint. I also doubt they would be willing to do anything less than equals because their brand in Nashville is pretty solid and losing that name may have ramifications. I admittedly thought they should have found a partner about five years ago, so what do I know.

Bradley is going to have a problem. They have too many associates in Birmingham and a match to $185k is going to have people in Bham pissed (they are already mad about salary compression there and how much that gap has grown between Nashville and Birmingham). I imagine a raise in Nashville will also require a raise in Birmingham and that's probably easily $2-5MM.

Lots of firms trying to break into Nashville, but the big four have done a good job closing ranks and keeping out-of-town firms out. I will be interested to see how K&L fares but I am not optimistic, especially on the litigation side. Unless Waller (see above) or Bass merges (which it has been resistant to for years, despite offers from V20), I don't see anyone coming to town and having success (unless Baker or Bradley merge, but they're both probably too big).
Yeah, I doubt Bradley will match, especially since they matched to 170 so quick. Baker waited almost a year before a comp move, saved a crap ton in avoided cost, and raised above competition. And during December, the worst time for transactional lawyers hours-wise. I’ve heard about struggles in K&L’s office and let’s be honest, K&L is not a market leader anywhere. They’re not anyone to worry about. People just wet themselves over a big firm and moved but they’ll regret it. I’ve heard some have already.

Your points about Bradley are exactly why this is the right time. As for Bass, they treat us like true biglaw associates hours and culture-wise though we’re far from it. Also, Waller can insist on whatever it wants. The best they’re gonna get is a firm adopting a regional name, if that. Waller is already out of its depth. My friends there are regretting their choice because future status is looking bleak. No raise to 170 and certainly no raise to 185, all for the same hours. 185 will be low by the end of the year.

Think about it, in what major market is Baker a comp leader? None. Zero. If Baker is moving to 185, it’s because the writing is on the wall and they want to be proactive. Lawyers are so stuck on “this is the way it’s always been” they can’t see the obvious unfolding in front of them. At least one AmLaw firm has committed to a Nashville office and will announce in a few months. You can’t just work and keep your head down. You’ve got to keep up with market trends (or cross your fingers that your partner is and they’ll take you with them).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 am
Anonymous User wrote:

How much does Bradley pay in Birmingham?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”