Dallas Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dallas Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 am

Anyone targeting Dallas specifically? Waiting on offers or have an offer? Just trying to gauge to Dallas market.

Anonymous User

Re: Dallas Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am

I’ve been waiting on Reed Smith. Has anyone heard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:00 am

For anyone making decisions, here is a pretty comprehensive thread summarizing the Dallas offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:00 am
For anyone making decisions, here is a pretty comprehensive thread summarizing the Dallas offices.
Also, this one which is more recent but perhaps not quite as comprehensive: 2020 Thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:51 pm

I'm a 3L who targeted Dallas exclusively, and I'm heading there in the fall. Happy to answer questions!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Also, this one which is more recent but perhaps not quite as comprehensive: 2020 Thread
The 2020 thread is good, but I would make sure to scroll down. The first few posters in that thread were not very well-informed at all. On whose planet is Weil at the top of the Dallas market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

How's Kirkland doing these days?

For corporate, I know they've been trying to replicate their tremendous success in Houston. Are they getting a lot of the F500 clients in the Metroplex?

For lit, looks like they've been trying to poach partners aggressively, but the big names in town have been loyal to their firms. They got one big antitrust partner out of Gibson, and then a couple of non-rainmaker junior partners from places like Lynn, Winston, and GDC. Wonder if they're just gonna end up repeating what happened in Houston lit, where their attempts to build an elite lit team have sort of floundered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm

What are peoples thoughts on Holland & Knight?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

For corporate, I know they've been trying to replicate their tremendous success in Houston. Are they getting a lot of the F500 clients in the Metroplex?

For lit, looks like they've been trying to poach partners aggressively, but the big names in town have been loyal to their firms. They got one big antitrust partner out of Gibson, and then a couple of non-rainmaker junior partners from places like Lynn, Winston, and GDC. Wonder if they're just gonna end up repeating what happened in Houston lit, where their attempts to build an elite lit team have sort of floundered.
I'm not at K&E, so I can't speak to this with certainty, but, anecdotally, I don't think they have penetrated the Dallas market to the same extent that they did in Houston. They originate some local deals, but for the most part it seems like they work across other offices.

As for lit, I think they have a different strategy than they did in Houston. Unlike Houston, Dallas litigation isn't completely dominated by boutiques, and some of the big firms in town aren't afraid of contingency work in the right case. I think Kirkland is one of those, and they are using some interesting fee arrangements to make their lit group more of a revenue generator.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Best

New

Post by Best » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:45 pm
What are peoples thoughts on Holland & Knight?
Smaller office likely servicing their larger offices, and they don't pay lockstep. I wouldn't put them at the top of your list unless you absolutely love the people you'd be working with.

I'm a fifth year in Dallas at K&E/GDC/Sidley/Weil if anyone has any questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The 2020 thread is good, but I would make sure to scroll down. The first few posters in that thread were not very well-informed at all. On whose planet is Weil at the top of the Dallas market?
Weil is an interesting case. For lit, they lost a ton to Sidley years back. But I think their "PEMA" group absolutely belongs in Tier 1. Who have they lost? A couple associates who K&E hired as partners -- I'd say that is a positive not a negative fact if you're someone considering starting a career at Weil vs. the other Tier 1 or 2 firms, which is the purpose of the thread as I understand it.

aydeebb19

New

Post by aydeebb19 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am
I’ve been waiting on Reed Smith. Has anyone heard?
Nothing since the initial screener interview almost 3 weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

I'm not at K&E, so I can't speak to this with certainty, but, anecdotally, I don't think they have penetrated the Dallas market to the same extent that they did in Houston. They originate some local deals, but for the most part it seems like they work across other offices.

As for lit, I think they have a different strategy than they did in Houston. Unlike Houston, Dallas litigation isn't completely dominated by boutiques, and some of the big firms in town aren't afraid of contingency work in the right case. I think Kirkland is one of those, and they are using some interesting fee arrangements to make their lit group more of a revenue generator.
You're right that Dallas isn't boutique dominated like Houston, but this sounds pretty similar to how it went down in Houston. Kirkland brought in a big name boutique partner (Anna Rotman) to try to gin up business with creative arrangements. Didn't really work as heavy hitter partners and talented associates in the city stayed loyal to their firms. Dallas and Houston are similar in that they both have very strong litigation offices that are entrenched at the top of the market. Houston's just happens to be boutiques while Dallas is mostly biglaw, with the exception of McKool.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm

With these threads, there is a lot of noise from all corners and people throw around conclusory statements (whether it's 2Ls trying to justify their decisions or lawyers trying to recruit on TLS). Whatever you decide, make sure you focus on verifiable information rather than conclusory statements. My familiarity is with lit, but for example.....

You know that McKool is crazy good at patent trials by looking at the sheer number of top 100 verdicts they've won. Lots of 8 figure plus verdicts everywhere. They also have low leverage, which maybe gives you more insight into how the firm operates.

Gibson has the most overly-credentialed lawyers, like 2/3 of the litigation associates there are circuit clerks. The partner in charge of Gibson's national appellate practice is based in Dallas. The office handled AT&T's blockbuster trial against the Trump administration and just bolstered its strengths in Texas trial work by bringing in a name partner from Lynn Pinker.

If you go through Sidley's partners and associates, you see a lot of focus on investigations and FCPA. AFAIK, they are probably the go-to biglaw firm for corporate investigations in the city. Sidley's partner-in-charge is a member of Sidley's national management committee, which indicates that they're not just a satellite office. When the whole Sidley lit partnership decamped from Weil, I heard it was because they felt they were being disrespected by Weil headquarters.

Lynn Pinker also has a lot of talent, but seems pretty highly leveraged for a boutique. Maybe that says something about partnership prospects, I don't know.

The top talent at Fish moved over to Winston Strawn, a few years back, which shows you that Winston has a very strong IP lit practice.

You get the idea. Don't know anything about transactions, but I guess you should look at deal sizes or something or whatever it is that you corporate lawyers do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm
With these threads, there is a lot of noise from all corners and people throw around conclusory statements (whether it's 2Ls trying to justify their decisions or lawyers trying to recruit on TLS). Whatever you decide, make sure you focus on verifiable information rather than conclusory statements. My familiarity is with lit, but for example.....

You know that McKool is crazy good at patent trials by looking at the sheer number of top 100 verdicts they've won. Lots of 8 figure plus verdicts everywhere. They also have low leverage, which maybe gives you more insight into how the firm operates.

Gibson has the most overly-credentialed lawyers, like 2/3 of the litigation associates there are circuit clerks. The partner in charge of Gibson's national appellate practice is based in Dallas. The office handled AT&T's blockbuster trial against the Trump administration and just bolstered its strengths in Texas trial work by bringing in a name partner from Lynn Pinker.

If you go through Sidley's partners and associates, you see a lot of focus on investigations and FCPA. AFAIK, they are probably the go-to biglaw firm for corporate investigations in the city. Sidley's partner-in-charge is a member of Sidley's national management committee, which indicates that they're not just a satellite office. When the whole Sidley lit partnership decamped from Weil, I heard it was because they felt they were being disrespected by Weil headquarters.

Lynn Pinker also has a lot of talent, but seems pretty highly leveraged for a boutique. Maybe that says something about partnership prospects, I don't know.

The top talent at Fish moved over to Winston Strawn, a few years back, which shows you that Winston has a very strong IP lit practice.

You get the idea. Don't know anything about transactions, but I guess you should look at deal sizes or something or whatever it is that you corporate lawyers do.
This is all very true, but I have also never seen anyone argue against all of the points that you just made in the many Dallas threads on this site.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

This is all very true, but I have also never seen anyone argue against all of the points that you just made in the many Dallas threads on this site.
You're probably right, sorry if I overlooked previous posters' contributions. I just remember being overwhelmed as a law student and thinking that I wanted more facts versus characterization.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

In my experience, Lynn gives you unparalleled experience as a midlevel/senior associate (besides something like small law I guess). Obviously not the biggest concern as a law student, but they really use the leverage and put the associates to work. Many of the partners are more than excited to help you practice and prepare as well. I'm not there anymore, but it's something I miss. Helped give me a pretty impressive resume.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Double post by mistake.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

In my experience, Lynn gives you unparalleled experience as a midlevel/senior associate (besides something like small law I guess). Obviously not the biggest concern as a law student, but they really use the leverage and put the associates to work. Many of the partners are more than excited to help you practice and prepare as well. I'm not there anymore, but it's something I miss. Helped give me a pretty impressive resume.
Thanks for sharing this, I know people have asked about Lynn Pinker in the past and the info on TLS has been sparse. If you don't mind, could you share your insider's perspective some more?

1. How are the hours and culture? From the very little I've heard, seems like hours are pretty high, but that seems to be the norm across all of the top firms in Dallas.

2. Do you think partnership is a realistic goal for associates there? Or did you see it more as a place to work hard for a few years, gain good experience, and then lateral somewhere else?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Delete

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for sharing this, I know people have asked about Lynn Pinker in the past and the info on TLS has been sparse. If you don't mind, could you share your insider's perspective some more?

1. How are the hours and culture? From the very little I've heard, seems like hours are pretty high, but that seems to be the norm across all of the top firms in Dallas.

2. Do you think partnership is a realistic goal for associates there? Or did you see it more as a place to work hard for a few years, gain good experience, and then lateral somewhere else?
1. The hours are high. I wouldn't say they're NY M&A high, but they're high, especially for Dallas. Lynn is really good at poaching from elite firms, so they regularly get people that are used to high hours. They don't hire out of law school (or at least they didn't), require a clerkship, and prefer laterals, so most people aren't shocked by the hours. You normally get yourself into it knowing. They have several Cravath laterals for a reason. As for culture, it's definitely a gunner/grinder culture. If you don't want to work hard and don't have that entrepreneur grind, you won't fit in. None of the "lazier" (I use that term very lightly as they obviously weren't lazy) associates aren't there anymore. We all regularly had lunch together and would meet up outside of work as well. I never was yelled at and never saw anyone yell or scream, but I guess there could have been different experiences. Everyone had an open door and was happy to help listen to you practice your oral argument and to play devil's advocate for you. I was sitting in on client meetings and showing up to court day one. They always introduced me to the judge and anyone else that seemed important. When I came up with solutions to problems, they'd mention that I had a solution to the client and offered to have me explain, instead of taking the credit. Typing all this, I actually really miss them.

2. After looking through their site and seeing who is still there, I recognize very few of the associates from when I was there. Two associates I worked with are partners now. Googling some of the other associates I can remember, they're all at various other firms. Of course, I didn't work with everyone and may be missing some that could very well be partner by now. I know it's more difficult to make partner at Lynn than your average firm, but not any more difficult than elite firms. Most people seem to get incredible experience that you wouldn't get at most big law firms then go somewhere else to become a partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. The hours are high. I wouldn't say they're NY M&A high, but they're high, especially for Dallas. Lynn is really good at poaching from elite firms, so they regularly get people that are used to high hours. They don't hire out of law school (or at least they didn't), require a clerkship, and prefer laterals, so most people aren't shocked by the hours. You normally get yourself into it knowing. They have several Cravath laterals for a reason. As for culture, it's definitely a gunner/grinder culture. If you don't want to work hard and don't have that entrepreneur grind, you won't fit in. None of the "lazier" (I use that term very lightly as they obviously weren't lazy) associates aren't there anymore. We all regularly had lunch together and would meet up outside of work as well. I never was yelled at and never saw anyone yell or scream, but I guess there could have been different experiences. Everyone had an open door and was happy to help listen to you practice your oral argument and to play devil's advocate for you. I was sitting in on client meetings and showing up to court day one. They always introduced me to the judge and anyone else that seemed important. When I came up with solutions to problems, they'd mention that I had a solution to the client and offered to have me explain, instead of taking the credit. Typing all this, I actually really miss them.

2. After looking through their site and seeing who is still there, I recognize very few of the associates from when I was there. Two associates I worked with are partners now. Googling some of the other associates I can remember, they're all at various other firms. Of course, I didn't work with everyone and may be missing some that could very well be partner by now. I know it's more difficult to make partner at Lynn than your average firm, but not any more difficult than elite firms. Most people seem to get incredible experience that you wouldn't get at most big law firms then go somewhere else to become a partner.
I have a few questions to scattershoot: Can you talk a little about the way work is assigned? Also, obviously Lynn Pinker isn't a patent boutique like McKool, but how much of the work they generate is patent or otherwise IP-related? How much stand up trial experience can you expect as a junior/mid-level?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a few questions to scattershoot: Can you talk a little about the way work is assigned? Also, obviously Lynn Pinker isn't a patent boutique like McKool, but how much of the work they generate is patent or otherwise IP-related? How much stand up trial experience can you expect as a junior/mid-level?
Work was free market in practice. Partners would grab associates they liked to work with them on the matter. Typically all drafting, research, etc. Sometimes the partner would hand it off to a senior associate, who would then have a junior help them. Most experience at trial would come in the form of either opening or closing argument and/or a witness or two. Something you could really focus on and prep for instead of having to worry about the whole trial or multiple issues. Of course there's plenty of experience for motions and hearings for juniors and mid-levels.

While I didn't do IP lit, one of the associates I worked and who recently made partner does IP lit. They're obviously not Fish or McKool, but they do enough of it to have associates making partner off the back of it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Kinda sounds like the Dallas version of Quinn Emanuel, and all the pros and cons that come with that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”