Choosing between QE NY and Williams & Connolly DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Choosing between QE NY and Williams & Connolly DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:28 pm
I agree with the W&C >> Quinn people, but I also don't buy the W&C apologism. Susman and Keker and Kellogg and MTO have the same leverage ratio but they manage to pay at or above market. W&C is just cheap and I would take any of the other top lit firms over them without a seconds hesitation.
W&C anon here. Fair enough, although I think calling the firm cheap misses the mark a bit. Again, they pay a TON for us to fly first class everywhere, get free meals, have free, low-deductible health insurance, and have robust support staff. Some of the people who work in our lunchroom have been with the firm for decades (and are still employed now even though we're not in the office.) They could easily cut a ton of costs elsewhere, shift all that money to compensation, and appear to be keeping up with the Jonses. But they aren't likely to anytime soon though because every single partner was promoted from within the firm and the compensation structure has been the same for decades; I don't see it changing.

I don't know enough about Susman, Keker, or MTO's benefits, hours requirements, or total comp. to make a comparison, but certainly they pay more and also offer great opportunities for younger associates to get substantive experience. Ditto Kellogg, although anecdotally it works its people to the bone, so it doesn't surprise me that they pay more.

Again, I'll repeat for all to hear that you should not go to W&C if you want to get paid the most as a midlevel or senior. I was told that during recruiting, and I tell that to people now during recruiting. It's not meant to be a secret.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with the W&C >> Quinn people, but I also don't buy the W&C apologism. Susman and Keker and Kellogg and MTO have the same leverage ratio but they manage to pay at or above market. W&C is just cheap and I would take any of the other top lit firms over them without a seconds hesitation.
But they aren't likely to anytime soon though because every single partner was promoted from within the firm and the compensation structure has been the same for decades; I don't see it changing.
I don't want to come across as a W&C hater (it's a great firm and once again I think its far better than Quinn) but it simply isn't true that every partner was an internal promotion. Kannon Shanmugam worked at Kirkland before the SG's office and then went to work at W&C before he left for PW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannon_Shanmugam.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But they aren't likely to anytime soon though because every single partner was promoted from within the firm and the compensation structure has been the same for decades; I don't see it changing.
I don't want to come across as a W&C hater (it's a great firm and once again I think its far better than Quinn) but it simply isn't true that every partner was an internal promotion. Kannon Shanmugam worked at Kirkland before the SG's office and then went to work at W&C before he left for PW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannon_Shanmugam.
I think Kannon and Lisa Blatt were the only recent exceptions to their policy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think Kannon and Lisa Blatt were the only recent exceptions to their policy
I mean the Wikipedia page even says "He was the only lawyer to have joined the firm as a lateral partner in 32 years" Still seems like almost every partner was an internal promotion.

applebox

New

Post by applebox » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:13 pm

This is my first post on TLS, so I’m amazed at the amount of insight you all have given me. Thank you so much!!! I’ve decided to go with W&C

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Sorry for bumping this, but had to comment since I thought it is insane..... but wtf guys choosing W&C over QE for reputation seems crazy. Some of these arguments are hilarious to me. QE is apparently cheap... yet QE matches or exceeds market. Just some numbers but 1 to 3rd year associates making market made 212.5, 235, and 290 last year..... W&C paid 200,200,230 per Vault... So W&C associates would have made over 100k less at just the junior associate level in a span of 3 years for hours that are very close to QE. 8th years at W&C make 345.. those at Quinn made 480. So, even at associate level, over an entire career you would make considerably less at W&C; I don't see how the better healthcare, prestige, lunches, and 1st class flights are worth making significantly less money (that can be re-invested to make the gap larger). Who knows how they will handle this round of raises too.

You can move from W&C to Quinn but not vice versa? Who cares.... referring you to above, you make way less money for basically no reason, working nearly the same hours. Prestige is stupid and overhyped. Lets not even begin on the exit opportunities comparison. Really.... Quinn will get you most places too..... Choosing W&C would be idiotic and the only benefit is bragging rights.

BTW anon that works at W&C your discourse is pretty ridiculous; W&C does not need to cut costs to maintain market salaries and the cost cutting discussion is silly. I also don't know why anyone would care how long the cafeteria staff has worked there. Plenty of firms have benefits equal to or better than W&C and still pay market.

Iowahawk

Bronze

Post by Iowahawk » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:22 pm

While it's true that you can't eat prestige, the comp difference isn't that material for a biglawyer, especially considering QE's strong rep for stingy perks and long hours. The diminishing marginal utility of money is a thing. And there are probably long-term educational benefits to working in a pretty small environment with some of the country's best white collar and trial partners and maybe the country's most highly-credentialed associates vs. QE, which is closer to just another biglaw firm but without corporate. I'll never be in a position to make this decision but if a young lawyer asked me my gut would definitely be W&C notwithstanding the comp issue.

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:47 pm

Iowahawk wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:22 pm
While it's true that you can't eat prestige, the comp difference isn't that material for a biglawyer, especially considering QE's strong rep for stingy perks and long hours. The diminishing marginal utility of money is a thing. And there are probably long-term educational benefits to working in a pretty small environment with some of the country's best white collar and trial partners and maybe the country's most highly-credentialed associates vs. QE, which is closer to just another biglaw firm but without corporate. I'll never be in a position to make this decision but if a young lawyer asked me my gut would definitely be W&C notwithstanding the comp issue.
1. QE slaughters W&C in some lit areas like patent lit which are more lucrative than something like white collar to begin with. The prestige is overhyped. Not sure what makes a firm prestigious when prestige doesn't translate to actual value even for the firm. Me, I would rather be at the firm with the 1.5x higher RPL and 3x higher PPP....

2. The more money you amass early on, the more quickly you can turn it into passive income and retire. So yes, the marginal money difference matters. Will also say even if more money has a marginal value the year 8 345k at W&C is a near 30% lower than the market 480k. In what world is a 30% reduction not material?

3. Based on the salary cut reduction "not material," statement why even care about prestige? If the end goal isn't higher paying partnership then you don't even need the prestige and can just try for senior associate making 500k or for Partnership at an easier firm making around 800k and claim there is "no material difference" between you and some other partner making 3m+.

4. All biglaw firms suck; despite the reputation, it is doubtful QE is all that different form W&C in actual workload. Hell a few years back Fish was the firm with the highest average billed hours per Above the law and it has a very positive reputation there generally.

5. Again who cares about W&Cs perks; with the extra money you can buy that stuff for yourself. Patterson and Sheridan has their own private jet much less first class tickets... yet you see people flocking there for the perks that apparently justify being underpaid. Fenwick is another great example; they have multiple vacation condos they allow associates to use, fund airfare for this vacation, and still manage to pay market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:26 pm

I’ve said it on this forum many times before, but the W&C comp stats on Vault are wrong and have been wrong for at least two, maybe three years now

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:26 pm
I’ve said it on this forum many times before, but the W&C comp stats on Vault are wrong and have been wrong for at least two, maybe three years now
That's nice, though the lack of transparency has JD blackbox vibes given you can't find the new scale anywhere apparently. Also kind of a moot point nowadays after the DPW raises; maybe the gaps were smaller, but until W&C raises the gap is heightened. Even if they raise, don't they have any incentive to raise by an equivalent amount as long as they can claim they marginally have a better base than others.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:25 am

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:47 pm
1. QE slaughters W&C in some lit areas like patent lit which are more lucrative than something like white collar to begin with. The prestige is overhyped. Not sure what makes a firm prestigious when prestige doesn't translate to actual value even for the firm. Me, I would rather be at the firm with the 1.5x higher RPL and 3x higher PPP....
I don't understand why your response to an argument that not every associate cares about minor differences in compensation is to go all-in on why the only thing that matters is compensation.

It's already been explained ad nauseam in the thread, but W&C can offer better partnership/exit opportunities for their associates in their specialty areas. No, they aren't a Susman-level lit boutique, but for white collar work, they're a top option. And yes, some people are more interested in white collar, even with its lack of "actual value."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Iowahawk wrote:
What kind of argument is this? Milbank slaughters QE in M&A, which is much more lucrative than something like all of litigation. So I guess everyone should choose Milbank over QE, since QE is lit-only? Not everyone is interested in patent lit...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:40 pm

At the end of the day, every QE associate I know and have talked to about the firm (albeit a small #) would lateral to W&C if given the option. QE DC is not a great to litigate, and if you miss 2100 hours you get a quarter bonus. Are you an associate there? If not, you should talk to associates there.

I don’t know any W&C associates clamoring for Quinn DC. To the extent former summer associates went elsewhere in DC post-clerkships, they either went to Kellogg, Munger, or more traditional biglaw firms (P,W; Hogan; O’Melveny; Latham).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Iowahawk

Bronze

Post by Iowahawk » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Untitleddestiny wrote:

2. The more money you amass early on, the more quickly you can turn it into passive income and retire. So yes, the marginal money difference matters. Will also say even if more money has a marginal value the year 8 345k at W&C is a near 30% lower than the market 480k. In what world is a 30% reduction not material?
Since few associates are making partner anyway--especially at QE--I don't see why RPL and PPP matter so much. And if you were a partnership gunner that would clearly strengthen the case for W&C.

I think that for people who actually want to be trial lawyers, or who think they do, who are the sort likely to see QE and WC as among their top options, training and prestige probably matter more to long-term prospects than marginal differences in comp. And few people have the goal of retiring as early as possible, come what may--but for them your might be right that QE makes more sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:34 pm

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Iowahawk wrote:

3. Based on the salary cut reduction "not material," statement why even care about prestige? If the end goal isn't higher paying partnership then you don't even need the prestige and can just try for senior associate making 500k or for Partnership at an easier firm making around 800k and claim there is "no material difference" between you and some other partner making 3m+.

4. All biglaw firms suck; despite the reputation, it is doubtful QE is all that different form W&C in actual workload. Hell a few years back Fish was the firm with the highest average billed hours per Above the law and it has a very positive reputation there generally.

5. Again who cares about W&Cs perks; with the extra money you can buy that stuff for yourself. Patterson and Sheridan has their own private jet much less first class tickets... yet you see people flocking there for the perks that apparently justify being underpaid. Fenwick is another great example; they have multiple vacation condos they allow associates to use, fund airfare for this vacation, and still manage to pay market.
This sort of unnecessary aggressiveness paired with less-than-great reasoning reminds me of a lot of QE lawyers, ironically.

Untitleddestiny

New

Post by Untitleddestiny » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 pm
Untitleddestiny wrote:
Iowahawk wrote:
What kind of argument is this? Milbank slaughters QE in M&A, which is much more lucrative than something like all of litigation. So I guess everyone should choose Milbank over QE, since QE is lit-only? Not everyone is interested in patent lit...
You seem to be misunderstanding. First, M&A is not lit. The point I was making is that W&C is not even better at all lit and the types of lit they are better at are not the most profitable (which may impact partnership odds from W&C because prestige be damned a patent litigator with a 3x larger book is more likely to make partner than a W&C associate with a smaller book). I was also using figures like RPL as an indicator of prestige. My point is that if W&C actually gets significantly higher end work, why is it that this higher end work that theoretically should result in higher fees and need additional specialization/skill leads to lower revenue per lawyer by a significant margin? At first glance it would appear to prestige is overblown.

For other guy, no I'm not at Quinn, I just think the prestige whoring is silly. Again the main sell seems to be it will make your partnership odds higher through prestige, but what I'm saying is gunning for that seems crazy no matter what firm you are at and bettings 100s of k in associate salary to do it seems insane. I'm also just having trouble understanding how prestige can help you get partnership over specializing in a more lucrative niche of litigation at another firm. Attracting 50 clients based on prestige that will bring in $1m each will have the same impact as 1 that will bring in $50 (and 1 client is easier to deal with).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:42 am

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:53 pm
Sorry for bumping this, but had to comment since I thought it is insane..... but wtf guys choosing W&C over QE for reputation seems crazy. Some of these arguments are hilarious to me. QE is apparently cheap... yet QE matches or exceeds market. Just some numbers but 1 to 3rd year associates making market made 212.5, 235, and 290 last year..... W&C paid 200,200,230 per Vault... So W&C associates would have made over 100k less at just the junior associate level in a span of 3 years for hours that are very close to QE. 8th years at W&C make 345.. those at Quinn made 480. So, even at associate level, over an entire career you would make considerably less at W&C; I don't see how the better healthcare, prestige, lunches, and 1st class flights are worth making significantly less money (that can be re-invested to make the gap larger). Who knows how they will handle this round of raises too.

You can move from W&C to Quinn but not vice versa? Who cares.... referring you to above, you make way less money for basically no reason, working nearly the same hours. Prestige is stupid and overhyped. Lets not even begin on the exit opportunities comparison. Really.... Quinn will get you most places too..... Choosing W&C would be idiotic and the only benefit is bragging rights.

BTW anon that works at W&C your discourse is pretty ridiculous; W&C does not need to cut costs to maintain market salaries and the cost cutting discussion is silly. I also don't know why anyone would care how long the cafeteria staff has worked there. Plenty of firms have benefits equal to or better than W&C and still pay market.
The salary scale for w&c on vault is wrong…

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:25 am
It's already been explained ad nauseam in the thread, but W&C can offer better partnership/exit opportunities for their associates in their specialty areas. No, they aren't a Susman-level lit boutique, but for white collar work, they're a top option. And yes, some people are more interested in white collar, even with its lack of "actual value."
I don’t get why Untitleddestiny hasn’t even tried to address this point.

Thread: “There are other considerations than money.”
Untitleddestiny: “but you’ll make more money at QE!!!!”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Untitleddestiny wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 am
You seem to be misunderstanding. First, M&A is not lit. The point I was making is that W&C is not even better at all lit and the types of lit they are better at are not the most profitable (which may impact partnership odds from W&C because prestige be damned a patent litigator with a 3x larger book is more likely to make partner than a W&C associate with a smaller book). I was also using figures like RPL as an indicator of prestige. My point is that if W&C actually gets significantly higher end work, why is it that this higher end work that theoretically should result in higher fees and need additional specialization/skill leads to lower revenue per lawyer by a significant margin? At first glance it would appear to prestige is overblown.

For other guy, no I'm not at Quinn, I just think the prestige whoring is silly. Again the main sell seems to be it will make your partnership odds higher through prestige, but what I'm saying is gunning for that seems crazy no matter what firm you are at and bettings 100s of k in associate salary to do it seems insane. I'm also just having trouble understanding how prestige can help you get partnership over specializing in a more lucrative niche of litigation at another firm. Attracting 50 clients based on prestige that will bring in $1m each will have the same impact as 1 that will bring in $50 (and 1 client is easier to deal with).
Based on your post history, you're at most a first or second year associate. I don't think you have the understanding of how these firms operate that you think you do.

a) At firms like W&C, MTO, etc., most people who make partner aren't making it because they have gone out and hustled to build a self-sustaining book of business as associates. They make partner because they've done enough stellar work for enough people, and maybe some of those people think they have potential to eventually bring in clients. Maybe it's different at firms like QE with tighter partnership criteria. But at low leverage, non-lockstep firms, it's not really essential that each partner pull their weight generating business, and virtually no newly-elect partners are bringing in business prior to making partner. To take another example, MTO has something like 100 partners out of 200 attorneys, many of which bring in little to no business on their own; they're spending most of their time servicing cases, but the Brad Brians of the world are doing most of the rainmaking.

b) The bolded falsely conflates rates and revenue with RPL/PPP. W&C's rates are lower than you'd expect given their stature, but the real differences on the revenue side are in the staffing models. And the reason why firms like W&C continue to attract top candidates who wouldn't work at a QE or similar big firm is that lean staffing models are at least perceived as more attractive to associates for reasons of associate development, feeling like you're a real lawyer rather than a discovery monkey, etc. It leads to less revenue for the firm on a per capita basis, especially in PPP, but makes sense for the types of cases these firms pitch for -- equally high-level and high-profile, just go look at press releases, but not the types of gigantic, sprawling cases where firms can really churn the bill with half a dozen first years doing doc review.

c) The underlined is not why partnership odds are higher at the W&Cs or MTOs of the world. The odds are higher because of how the low-leverage model works, not because of some amorphous "prestige." It's a little hard to get a real rate because there is not 100% overlap between high-end firms' summer hiring and postclerkship hiring, but even assuming something all of their summers return (which, from experience, is an overestimate): W&C takes 40 summers a year, hires almost no laterals, and elects ~5 attorneys to partnership a year (eyeball it at 12-15% partnership odds). MTO takes 25 summers a year, hires ~5-10 laterals on the high end, and elects 3-5 attorneys to partnership a year (roughly same odds). Those odds are crazy high by the standards of top firms. Quinn's tougher to figure out because they stopped having a summer program for a while but my napkin math got roughly 5-8% depending on year. That's actually higher than I expected; from having done these calculations years back most firms of QE's size are well below that. But it's still a third to a half the odds of what you're looking at at quasi-boutiques like W&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:37 pm

Does anyone who has noted that Vault W&C compensation is outdated have actual numbers? Because below-market to less below-market is still not going to be appealing for at least some students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Wait, so W&C does not pay bonuses?

I was talking with a friend who works there this weekend and he mentioned that. No annual bonus and no special bonuses. That’s quite a lot of money.

It kind of blew my mind. I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it, so didn’t inquire further. If that’s true they are getting a really good deal from their associates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChickenSalad

New

Post by ChickenSalad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Wait, so W&C does not pay bonuses?

I was talking with a friend who works there this weekend and he mentioned that. No annual bonus and no special bonuses. That’s quite a lot of money.

It kind of blew my mind. I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it, so didn’t inquire further. If that’s true they are getting a really good deal from their associates.
Yeah that’s their schtick. They have a higher base salary but no bonuses. So by the time you’re a midlevel the comp difference is pretty big

12YrsAnAssociate

Bronze

Post by 12YrsAnAssociate » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:34 pm
This sort of unnecessary aggressiveness paired with less-than-great reasoning reminds me of a lot of QE lawyers, ironically.
QUINN EMANUEL IS THE MOST FEARED LAW FIRM IN THE GALAXY!!1!!!11!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:14 pm

Former QE associate here. Fun thread.

OP, I'd ask you a few questions: do you have a strong preference for a particular type of litigation, city you live in, being part of a system that doles out work or one where you kind of figure it out yourself?

In general, W&C has the superior reputation -- although W&C's reputation is more of a DC-specific one (or top law forums one, hehe), and it's a little more specific to criminal/white collar work.

Quinn is great if you have a specific goal in mind, I think: do you want to litigate patent cases? Do you want to do plaintiff's-side litigation against financial institutions? Then Quinn NY makes sense.

If you're just kind of testing out the waters of litigation, I think both would be good, but W&C does have a pedigree that's hard to come by, and it has some benefits like lower leverage. When I see it on resumes (I'm in-house now), I say, "wow this person was able to get a job at W&C." I'd say that about Quinn, too, but it isn't quite as unique.

I'd ignore the talk about people at QE having a bad reputation for how they bring or defend cases. As far as I can tell that reputation primarily lives online, on this forum. QE is a firm of hundreds of lawyers who work on their own projects, and they each have their own way of doing things. Feel free to ask me a question you think will upset me if you want to test whether I'm an asshole :)

Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”