How long (if at all) can you sit on an offer coming from a clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long (if at all) can you sit on an offer coming from a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm a current clerk who's currently interviewing with NY restructuring groups. I don't have a set order of preferred firms, and probably won't until I've finished most or all of my interviews, but it looks like they might be stretched out over a number of weeks.

I assume NALP rules don't apply to clerks, who are technically laterals, so I'd like to know if I'm putting myself at risk if I sit on any early offers. Should I just ask about it? Am I expected to accept on the spot or shortly after?

For obvious reasons, I'm risk averse on this. If there's a meaningful risk of losing an offer by sitting on it, I'm likely to take the first one I get from a reasonably large restructuring group.

Anonymous User

Re: How long (if at all) can you sit on an offer coming from a clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm a current clerk who's currently interviewing with NY restructuring groups. I don't have a set order of preferred firms, and probably won't until I've finished most or all of my interviews, but it looks like they might be stretched out over a number of weeks.

I assume NALP rules don't apply to clerks, who are technically laterals, so I'd like to know if I'm putting myself at risk if I sit on any early offers. Should I just ask about it? Am I expected to accept on the spot or shortly after?

For obvious reasons, I'm risk averse on this. If there's a meaningful risk of losing an offer by sitting on it, I'm likely to take the first one I get from a reasonably large restructuring group.
It's firm dependent, IME, but I've also never heard of a firm expecting you to say yes or no on the spot.

I think its totally fair game to ask about a timeline once an offer is received, and it's also possible that they might ask you about your timing as far as wrapping up other recruiting processes.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”