Former V5/V15 NYC Associate Involved with Hiring; AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Former V5/V15 NYC Associate Involved with Hiring; AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Also at CLS and interested in trading up in 3L OCI next year. Does anyone know what GPA floor makes a rising 3L at CLS an attractive candidate for a V5/V10 (sans WLRK)? Low-Stone, mid-Stone...Kent??? :oops: Any info on specific firms? I'm at a V50 next summer - is making a jump to a V10 possible, or do Cravath/S&C/STB/DPW only "poach" summers from each other?

Edit: I mean cumulative GPA, at end of 2L, btw. Given my dumpster fire 1L, I realize there's a tangible difference between making Stone 2L year and having a cumulative GPA above Stone lol
V5? At least Kent, probably closer to all As in legit black letter classes (fed courts, corporations, evidence, sec reg etc.) Give them a sob story about your dog dying or something 1L year then say your 2L year speaks for itself. V10 same but more wiggle room.

FYI, you're probably not going to accomplish this if you didn't actually have a crisis 1L year. Your performance 1L year will likely indicate your 2L and 3L performance in relevant classes. Your best bet for a v5ish is to aim at a v25ish for 3L OCI and then survive for 3-5 years then lateral up because everyone loves mid-level associates

Wait, you mean get Kent in 2L year to balance out with 1L for, e.g., a 3.5-3.6 overall right? There's no way I can get overall grades up to 3.8+, even if I max out credits and get an A in every single class, so if that's what you mean...rip me lol. Appreciate the advice on the lateraling option though!
this person is an idiot. if you're corporate, you could comfortably interview across the V10 w/o ever sniffing Kent even once in 3 years

"close to all As across 2L and 3L" is the sort of GPA you would be targeting to secure a federal court of appeals clerkship, not a job at Skadden lmao

LOL, I was definitely a bit freaked out by the Kent requirement. Glad to hear that's not the case if we're "only" aiming for V10 NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:03 am

Two questions, what happens to your previous applications and how long are they kept on the system? (i.e - if you were rejected by HR, does this show up if you apply later on - not talking about interviews, just your application to the firm itself without interviews.

Also, what happens when you get an offer and turn down the firm and later come to lateral. Does the firm have record of giving you an offer such that it will be easier to break through or is all your info wiped from the system?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 am
LOL, I was definitely a bit freaked out by the Kent requirement. Glad to hear that's not the case if we're "only" aiming for V10 NYC.
The vast majority of CLS grads who start at a V5 don't have Kent. The grade requirements only get less strict as time goes on, so there's no reason you'd need the same to lateral there.

I've gone over this like 10 times in this thread, but every part of lateral hiring is focused on "am I hiring a dud or someone who was valued by the old firm." Grades are a part of that assessment that becomes less and less crucial over time, because your work experience and whether you can run a deal/take a depo/whatever is so much more important even 2-3 years into your legal career.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:05 pm
OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 am
The vast majority of CLS grads who start at a V5 don't have Kent. The grade requirements only get less strict as time goes on, so there's no reason you'd need the same to lateral there.

I've gone over this like 10 times in this thread, but every part of lateral hiring is focused on "am I hiring a dud or someone who was valued by the old firm." Grades are a part of that assessment that becomes less and less crucial over time, because your work experience and whether you can run a deal/take a depo/whatever is so much more important even 2-3 years into your legal career.
Yeah, I got hired at a V5 out of law school, with multiple V5 offers, and had about a 3.6 from Michigan (which was our GPA floor, I think). So, I assume the grade floors at CLS are probably below a 3.6 for most of the V5/10 (sans Wachtell, S&C and Cravath).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also at CLS and interested in trading up in 3L OCI next year. Does anyone know what GPA floor makes a rising 3L at CLS an attractive candidate for a V5/V10 (sans WLRK)? Low-Stone, mid-Stone...Kent??? :oops: Any info on specific firms? I'm at a V50 next summer - is making a jump to a V10 possible, or do Cravath/S&C/STB/DPW only "poach" summers from each other?

Edit: I mean cumulative GPA, at end of 2L, btw. Given my dumpster fire 1L, I realize there's a tangible difference between making Stone 2L year and having a cumulative GPA above Stone lol
V5? At least Kent, probably closer to all As in legit black letter classes (fed courts, corporations, evidence, sec reg etc.) Give them a sob story about your dog dying or something 1L year then say your 2L year speaks for itself. V10 same but more wiggle room.

FYI, you're probably not going to accomplish this if you didn't actually have a crisis 1L year. Your performance 1L year will likely indicate your 2L and 3L performance in relevant classes. Your best bet for a v5ish is to aim at a v25ish for 3L OCI and then survive for 3-5 years then lateral up because everyone loves mid-level associates

Wait, you mean get Kent in 2L year to balance out with 1L for, e.g., a 3.5-3.6 overall right? There's no way I can get overall grades up to 3.8+, even if I max out credits and get an A in every single class, so if that's what you mean...rip me lol. Appreciate the advice on the lateraling option though!
this person is an idiot. if you're corporate, you could comfortably interview across the V10 w/o ever sniffing Kent even once in 3 years

"close to all As across 2L and 3L" is the sort of GPA you would be targeting to secure a federal court of appeals clerkship, not a job at Skadden lmao
Are you even following the thread? This person has 'dumpster fire' grades 1L year and is wondering what it would take to go from v50 grades to v5 grades in one year.

I wasn't talking about getting top of your class, I'm talking about if you got straight Bs (or worse) 1L year then getting Kent 2L year would give you somewhere between 3.3-3.5 gpa which is nothing spectacular.

You must be confused if you think these firms will magically hire someone with the same unchanged low gpa at the end of 2L year that they didn't even consider at the end of 1L year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you even following the thread? This person has 'dumpster fire' grades 1L year and is wondering what it would take to go from v50 grades to v5 grades in one year.

I wasn't talking about getting top of your class, I'm talking about if you got straight Bs (or worse) 1L year then getting Kent 2L year would give you somewhere between 3.3-3.5 gpa which is nothing spectacular.

You must be confused if you think these firms will magically hire someone with the same unchanged low gpa at the end of 2L year that they didn't even consider at the end of 1L year.

I'm the person with dumpster fire grades LOL. If you mean getting Kent 2L year to balance out my trash 1L, that makes a lot more sense. Your initial response made it sound like I needed to be Kent-level cumulatively after 2L to have a shot at V5/V10 during 3L OCI, which I was miffed by haha. I definitely plan to get my grades up this year - I agree that I need to give firms a reason to take a second look at me next year. Appreciate you clarifying!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:

you seem to be under the impression that firms have the same GPA requirementnts during 3L ad-hoc recruiting (and after graduation) that they do for rising 2L EIP, so someone needs to like -- cumulatively -- hit approximately the same grade cutoff that he would after 1L. ie, if you had a 3.1 after 1L, you would a 3.9 across 2L, to hit a 3.5 cutoff or whatever

as OP has explained, multiple times, you're wrong. GPA is much less important for 3L hiring, and the bolded is actually...basically what happens? people trade up, and get jobs at places that wouldn't have hired them a year ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:

you seem to be under the impression that firms have the same GPA requirementnts during 3L ad-hoc recruiting (and after graduation) that they do for rising 2L EIP, so someone needs to like -- cumulatively -- hit approximately the same grade cutoff that he would after 1L. ie, if you had a 3.1 after 1L, you would a 3.9 across 2L, to hit a 3.5 cutoff or whatever

as OP has explained, multiple times, you're wrong. GPA is much less important for 3L hiring, and the bolded is actually...basically what happens? people trade up, and get jobs at places that wouldn't have hired them a year ago.
I never said that after graduation the GPA requirements would be the same. In fact I said the opposite by stating that lateraling up years after graduation is the best bet.

OP hasn't said anything that disagrees with what I said, they only said the same thing, that lateraling is a good bet because grades matter less after graduation. And that a 3.5-3.7 (cumulative?) would be fine (which is the same thing I said) for 3L hiring.

Also, idk if I'm taking crazy pills or something but every single thread here since forever about 3L hiring (plus my experience at firms over a few years) talks about how grades are the most important thing, especially for grade conscious v5 firms like the person was asking. If you have some other info that no one else knows, please let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=299885
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=302219
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=227867
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195544
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=245244
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=297920

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:13 pm

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I never said that after graduation the GPA requirements would be the same. In fact I said the opposite by stating that lateraling up years after graduation is the best bet.

OP hasn't said anything that disagrees with what I said, they only said the same thing, that lateraling is a good bet because grades matter less after graduation. And that a 3.5-3.7 (cumulative?) would be fine (which is the same thing I said) for 3L hiring.

Also, idk if I'm taking crazy pills or something but every single thread here since forever about 3L hiring (plus my experience at firms over a few years) talks about how grades are the most important thing, especially for grade conscious v5 firms like the person was asking. If you have some other info that no one else knows, please let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=299885
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=302219
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=227867
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195544
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=245244
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=297920
For some reason, in my last post, I was thinking about lateraling to a V5 after a couple years. Grades are far less important at that point.

To be clear, for 3L hiring, grades still do matter because they're one of the few proxies for a general aptitude for the work. You have no legal work experience yet. I don't think people are necessarily calculating your cumulative GPA (e.g., you don't need a 3.9 to offset a 3.2, in a way that the firm would consider you to have a 3.55) - my two firms never assigned you a specific number, so to speak - it's more of someone looking at your transcript and having a quick gut reaction that you've got potential and aren't bottom of the barrel. A notable improvement would work even if it's not a 3.9.

That said, 3L hiring is niche and selective, which can situationally work out for you - the V5 I worked at hired people into its exec comp group through 3L hiring almost every year, and usually one for Tax as well. If a top firm happens to need more bodies in a particular practice group at a certain point in time (e.g., exec comp, tax, cap markets, whatever is slammed and associates just left), you have a chance of getting in the door even with lesser 1L grades. The catch is exec comp's boring and you can't predict other openings, though I guess firms do seem to be on a crazy hiring spree this year, which might be good for you.

To illustrate all this, a year or two before me at CLS, S&C would hire anyone who spoke fluent Spanish during 3L, regardless of grades, if they were willing to work with some of the LATAM clients. Around this time, the general rule at CLS was anyone with 3.6 or higher was a 95+% auto-lock for an offer at S&C, and they were otherwise very grade-conscious.

Edit: To clarify, the unpredictable nature of 3L hiring also works against you in a lot of ways. It's a gamble if they need someone like you, and you shouldn't count on it. You can certainly try (and you should, if you're so inclined) but be prepared to start at your current firm and just lateral later if it's still something you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Hey OP, you gave me some advice earlier in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I ended up getting a job. I appreciate you OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:33 am

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Hey OP, you gave me some advice earlier in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I ended up getting a job. I appreciate you OP.
Really, really happy to see this. Congrats on the job!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am

I met with an associate earlier this month (first week of September). I sent a thank you note right after. She and I really connected, and she emailed my mutual acquaintance saying that she was really happy she connected us. She doesn't have any hiring power, but she is at a boutique firm and is one of the more prolific people. This week, nearly a month later she emailed me back asking how was my job search going. Does that sound like a good sign or am i reading too much into it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am
I met with an associate earlier this month (first week of September). I sent a thank you note right after. She and I really connected, and she emailed my mutual acquaintance saying that she was really happy she connected us. She doesn't have any hiring power, but she is at a boutique firm and is one of the more prolific people. This week, nearly a month later she emailed me back asking how was my job search going. Does that sound like a good sign or am i reading too much into it?
Not OP, but involved with hiring at a boutique: are you a law student, clerk, or lateral candidate? Have you gone in for an interview or just talked to this associate one-on-one? Generally, when we have an applicant who meets our criteria and comes recommended, we try to get them in for interviews pretty quickly, and typically make an offer within a week or at most a couple weeks. I could see an exception if you are a current clerk and we want to hold off until we can compare you against other clerkship candidates, but if you're a lateral candidate, I don't see pretty much any reason why we'd hold you if we're hiring (and we always are, though this is not universal for boutiques). So if anything, the one month delay reads as a bad sign to me, but this boutique may operate differently from mine; if they weren't hiring then, but may be soon, then it could be a good sign she's reaching out again. Hard to know without asking or being a fly on the wall in their recruiting committee meetings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:11 pm

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
What'd you meet her for earlier this month? An actual screener, or an informational interview? If she interviewed you and there's a clearly open position, then the other person's answer is pretty spot-on. If you just had coffee or something to chat about the legal market, I guess it's good.

She could've reached back out for any number of reasons, though, so just email her back and see what's happening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:11 pm
OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
What'd you meet her for earlier this month? An actual screener, or an informational interview? If she interviewed you and there's a clearly open position, then the other person's answer is pretty spot-on. If you just had coffee or something to chat about the legal market, I guess it's good.

She could've reached back out for any number of reasons, though, so just email her back and see what's happening.

Thank you and the other Anonymous for your guidance!

We originally just met up for an informational interview. After our coffee date, she mentioned she would talk to the hiring recruiter and the head of her department about me. It was radio silence, until this week when she reached back out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 pm

How bad would you say it is to renege an offer from your experience involved in the hiring process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 pm

Any repercussions if you are hired for an SA by a stuffy grade-selective firm with a high (4.0ish) GPA, and (post-SA) subsequently get straight Bs as a 3L? Raise eyebrows in a bad way?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 pm
Any repercussions if you are hired for an SA by a stuffy grade-selective firm with a high (4.0ish) GPA, and (post-SA) subsequently get straight Bs as a 3L? Raise eyebrows in a bad way?
Not OP but if you're an A student it's actually really hard to get straight Bs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:18 pm

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 pm
How bad would you say it is to renege an offer from your experience involved in the hiring process?
I mean, you'll burn a bridge. Don't expect to work at that law firm in the future. If you're moving to a different market though (or maybe even another firm in the same city, doing different work), do it if it's in your best interests. It's your career vs. their inconvenience.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 pm
What firm? But it probably doesn't matter much, unless you're getting grades so bad they're off the standard curve.

That said, like the other person noted, it's really hard to do this. You can even pick your classes to make it easier to not get a 3.0, and the curve (at least at CLS, but I think at most law schools) got more lenient during 2L/3L, especially for seminars. I played computer games for hundreds of hours throughout my 3L year and didn't show up to some classes, and still came out with grades on par with my 1L year or better each semester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 pm

OP I'm curious to learn more about burning bridges. Not just for reneging, do firms remember eg a really bad interview or awkward networking event? Not entirely relevant to the current discussion, I'm just curious how much firms really track applicants long term in your experience.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 pm
OP I'm curious to learn more about burning bridges. Not just for reneging, do firms remember eg a really bad interview or awkward networking event? Not entirely relevant to the current discussion, I'm just curious how much firms really track applicants long term in your experience.
Aquagirl is still famous, to give you an idea of the ceiling

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 pm

OP.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 pm
It depends. Individual people may not forget you. I haven't forgotten a couple interactions I've had. It depends how egregious it is, though. Nobody cares if you're awkward, but people will remember if you pull an Aquagirl or say a racial slur or some shit like that.

As for whether the institution remembers you? If it was in an interview, maybe the terrible experience has been memorialized in the interview notes. If you interview there again, perhaps the firm might see it again, if the original records are stored (but who knows which firms maintain those records).

A firm isn't going to record a bad networking event experience but maybe someone'll remember a face down the line if they happen to see you (again, if it's particularly egregious/unforgettable).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm

OP here.

With a lot of 1Ls ending this week, I figured I'd revive this after a while. Feel free to ask anything about law firms, law firm hiring, in-house stuff, or anything else I might know.

An update on my background:
  • Graduated from CLS 5-7 years ago now.
  • I worked at two different big law firms in NYC (one V5, one V15). I was actively involved with hiring at both firms right up until I left (one through a close relationship with the recruiting team, one through an associates' committee).
  • While I ended up in NYC post-graduation, I interviewed widely in California as well.
  • I now work in-house at a tech/media/entertainment company in California. I've been there for ~1.5 years now.
  • My wife is also a lawyer and has worked at two different firms in NYC/CA.
Happy to be helpful however I can. I'll be candid if I don't know something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm actually more curious about the media job, how'd you get it? What was your biglaw background?

As a junior, what are the pros and cons of getting involved in recruiting, associates committee, etc?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 10, 2022 8:15 pm

I'm doing international trade/national security/IP at a firm this summer but the firm is under market. I want to try my hand at 3L OCI/mass mailing to "level up" ( cringe, i know) but don't know how doable that is because I don't want to be flexible in terms of practice area. Do I network while I'm in the city this summer? Is it even worth tossing my hat in the ring given how narrow my interests are?

And in the future, if I choose to lateral (T6, below-median grades) how bad will those grades look if the lateral is for a specialty group?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”