Upcoming evaluation: what to expect and what to convey Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Upcoming evaluation: what to expect and what to convey

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:10 am

I will be having my first evaluation talk this week. Recently completed my first year, Biglaw v50. I had a few queries:
- I assume it will just be "This is what went well; this is what you could do better"? Is there anything else that normally comes up from the partners during these things?
- Am I to come up with points myself? Like "This is what I would like to work on in the coming year, and this is what I want to improve on"?
- A more concrete point: I want to switch offices. Due to family and fiance reasons, I want to move. I already brought this up before I started after accepting the offer, and it was looked into then, but it didn't work out, and no further update was given since. I have been unable to touch upon it further due to COVID (no casual walk ins into the partner's office anymore, after all). Would the eval talk be a good time to bring it up again? I'm assuming the partner completely forgot about it, but don't want to bring it up at the wrong time. Another reason is also that the office I am eyeing has a practice group I want to switch to (but I assume it is definitely a bridge too far to bring that up?).

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”