Working from home post COVID? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Working from home post COVID?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am

blair.waldorf wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:06 am
Anon because identifying info.

How do we feel about the possibility of doing a three weeks in-one week out situation? My SO is about to start grad school halfway across the country and I'd like to live with them at least one week out of the month (on average). My current in-house gig said they're going to let me work from home as much as I want, but I still plan on spending 1-2 weeks in the office a month. I'm interviewing for BigLaw jobs right now but worried about having longer hours and less flexibility for travelling will lead to me basically not seeing my SO at all for 3 years.
If you get an offer, I think you can negotiate this. I'm hearing about laterals and mid-levels/seniors negotiating WFH arrangements with firms.
OP here. Actually not a mid-level, I'm a 3L, which is why I'm thinking it won't necessarily be negotiable. At least not as easily.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am
blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do we feel about the possibility of doing a three weeks in-one week out situation? My SO is about to start grad school halfway across the country and I'd like to live with them at least one week out of the month (on average). My current in-house gig said they're going to let me work from home as much as I want, but I still plan on spending 1-2 weeks in the office a month. I'm interviewing for BigLaw jobs right now but worried about having longer hours and less flexibility for travelling will lead to me basically not seeing my SO at all for 3 years.
If you get an offer, I think you can negotiate this. I'm hearing about laterals and mid-levels/seniors negotiating WFH arrangements with firms.
OP here. Actually not a mid-level, I'm a 3L, which is why I'm thinking it won't necessarily be negotiable. At least not as easily.
My bad. I assumed you were lateraling since you said you're currently in house.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:00 am

I am also of the view that certain regions are going to have to be wayyyyy more flexible. For example, the bay area is just completely unaffordable even at a senior associate salary and the idea that firms are going to keep people more than 2 or so years in the Bay Area when there are so many remote options or market paying traditional jobs in say Austin, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, NY, rest of world....will be interesting to see how it plays out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:00 am

blair.waldorf wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am
blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My bad. I assumed you were lateraling since you said you're currently in house.
No worries. Good to hear that it's something firms are considering generally. Gotta snag the offer first, but hopefully if I get it I can work something out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:22 pm

3 weeks WFH, one week in sounds way better to me.

As for the situation on the ground, I’ve discussed this extensively with my assigned partner mentor. He’s an old timer and wants to go back badly. But even he (recently) has remembered how much commuting sucked, and his opinion is that the younger partners really don’t want to go back (they have kids, bought homes, etc...) his opinion is that the firm won’t go back to 5 days a week, no matter what.

As someone else said, WFH makes big law not only bearable, but sometimes a good job. I kind of feel blessed that I started under these circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:22 pm

As for the situation on the ground, I’ve discussed this extensively with my assigned partner mentor. He’s an old timer and wants to go back badly. But even he (recently) has remembered how much commuting sucked, and his opinion is that the younger partners really don’t want to go back (they have kids, bought homes, etc...) his opinion is that the firm won’t go back to 5 days a week, no matter what.

As someone else said, WFH makes big law not only bearable, but sometimes a good job. I kind of feel blessed that I started under these circumstances.
I'm considering going back to biglaw from government if I can find a mostly WFH position. I'll take the extra hours working at home over the commute.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm considering going back to biglaw from government if I can find a mostly WFH position. I'll take the extra hours working at home over the commute.
Are you FedGov? My FedGov agency has not announced a post-coved WFH policy. Has yours?

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm
abiglawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you FedGov? My FedGov agency has not announced a post-coved WFH policy. Has yours?
I'm not federal.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

i do wonder whether class of 2020 got lucky or screwed compared to 2021 and 22

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

jotarokujo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

i do wonder whether class of 2020 got lucky or screwed compared to 2021
Deferral sucked for those not at firms that gave stipends, but I absolutely love working from home and my firm/team has been good about training us despite the remote environment.

sixers2020

New

Post by sixers2020 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:25 pm

I made the switch to government work (not federal). The plan post-COVID is for there to be a hoteling system where people sign up online for desk space. I am happy about this option and will probably go in 2-3 days a week whenever we return (my guess is September 2021).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Any updates? I tried going into the office today for a change of pace and hated every second of it. I can't do this five days a week again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:06 pm
Any updates? I tried going into the office today for a change of pace and hated every second of it. I can't do this five days a week again.
Same, I had to go in two days in one week recently and was surprised how much I hated it, even as a committed WFH fan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 pm

Deleted

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”