TIP/TARE Tax LL.M 2021 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: TIP/TARE Tax LL.M 2021

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 pm

Simply because your encounter differs from my experience & knowledge does not mean that my post was incorrect or "false"; it just means that you & your friend had a different experience.

Three years ago, SF was hiring at $105,000 for new associates. This was even published in recruiting ads for at least 2 of the Big 4. I know folks who were hired in the SF area for $5,000 to $10,000 higher in M&A than the published salary.

International tax typically offers a lower starting salary then does M&A.

As to your assertion that: "Cost of living has nothing to do with it." = It does with respect to San Francisco/Palo Alto/ SV area.

Sometimes budget comes into play. I know a person who was offered just $85,000 by PwC in NYC about 5 years ago for SALT. Last year I discussed hiring salaries with a Wash DC Big 4 about 2016 salaries that are significantly higher than today. The response focused on budget (funds available) & immediate need.

But, I do want to stress that offers vary by practice area.

Also, experience comes into play in many situations. Recently. I am aware of an applicant offered a higher starting salary due to an urgent need with respect to foreign language ability.

Plus, why is your post anonymous ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 pm
Simply because your encounter differs from my experience & knowledge does not mean that my post was incorrect or "false"; it just means that you & your friend had a different experience.

Three years ago, SF was hiring at $105,000 for new associates. This was even published in recruiting ads for at least 2 of the Big 4. I know folks who were hired in the SF area for $5,000 to $10,000 higher in M&A than the published salary.

As to your assertion that: "Cost of living has nothing to do with it." = It does with respect to San Francisco/Palo Alto/ SV area.

Sometimes budget comes into play. I know a person who was offered just $85,000 by PwC in NYC about 5 years ago for SALT. Last year I discussed hiring salaries with a Wash DC Big 4 about 2016 salaries that are significantly higher than today. The response focused on budget (funds available) & immediate need.

Also, experience comes into play in many situations. Recently. I am aware of an applicant offered a higher starting salary due to an urgent need with respect to foreign language ability.

I was mentioning my offer (including the salary) from a Big 4 Chicago office, so I wanted to do it anonymously.

I know for a fact that Deloitte and PwC were both paying really low salaries in SF / Bay Area as recently as 2019. I know there are some variances between practice and need, but given how expensive that area is, people always expect to see bigger numbers. That’s why I said your response was “false.” I think people expect SF to be paying the same as DC/NY/WNT, and it in fact does not.

I think part of it has to do with demand to work in those areas. The big 4 can get away with paying associates in SF less than places like Atlanta and San Antonio (and the same as Detroit, I believe) because people will take those offers regardless. 3 years ago, KPMG Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all paid more than SF. I think that’s no longer the case, but it’s a datapoint.

Also, I don’t think your post proved my point wrong. You mentioned that SF was paying $105k 3 years ago. That’s still less than the $110-$115 for Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Chicago, which are very affordable, especially compared to SF.

Also, as to another one of your points, EY bumped salaries to $140k a few years ago but lowered them due to backlash or something, so that may also factor into the lower salaries now v 2016 (when EY offered people $140k for a number of offices in the fall).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 pm

Thank you for responding. Your info. is very helpful. My info. is piecemeal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 pm
CanadianWolf wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:12 pm

I was mentioning my offer (including the salary) from a Big 4 Chicago office, so I wanted to do it anonymously.

I know for a fact that Deloitte and PwC were both paying really low salaries in SF / Bay Area as recently as 2019. I know there are some variances between practice and need, but given how expensive that area is, people always expect to see bigger numbers. That’s why I said your response was “false.” I think people expect SF to be paying the same as DC/NY/WNT, and it in fact does not.

I think part of it has to do with demand to work in those areas. The big 4 can get away with paying associates in SF less than places like Atlanta and San Antonio (and the same as Detroit, I believe) because people will take those offers regardless. 3 years ago, KPMG Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta all paid more than SF. I think that’s no longer the case, but it’s a datapoint.

Also, I don’t think your post proved my point wrong. You mentioned that SF was paying $105k 3 years ago. That’s still less than the $110-$115 for Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Chicago, which are very affordable, especially compared to SF.

Also, as to another one of your points, EY bumped salaries to $140k a few years ago but lowered them due to backlash or something, so that may also factor into the lower salaries now v 2016 (when EY offered people $140k for a number of offices in the fall).
+1 to this. I have friends who received offers in the 80k range as recent as 2019 in SF and LA.
I think COL is probably a factor in offers, but its likely a lot smaller factor than people think. Big4 salaries seem all over the place depending on service line (M&A, SALT, International, WNTS, etc.) whether you have a LLM, geographic market, etc. so its really hard to gauge whether your offer is "market" or not.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am

My information is with respect to M&A tax Big 4 unless specified otherwise.

Agree with the above post/poster that "Big4 salaries seem all over the place" and that salary offers definitely vary by practice line with WNTS and M&A tax being the highest, followed by International Tax, then SALT.

Salaries also vary based on whether one has just a JD or is a JD/LLM.

Would like to know some specifics regarding offers of $80,000 range in SF and LA "as recently as 2019" such as whether JD or JD/LLM and specialty line (M&A, Int'l, SALT).

I do not doubt anything that is shared regarding Big 4 salaries including the $140,000 figure for M&A tax in 2016 that someone shared in another thread years ago. Unfortunately, specific details were not included in this post. (My thought is that it may have included both salary & signing bonus.)

My impression is that offers made during TIP & TARE tend to be more uniform than those made outside of these recruiting events.

Has anyone been asked to make a commitment in terms of years ?

Were BDO & RSM recruiting at TIP & TARE this year ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

here2lurk

New

Post by here2lurk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am
My information is with respect to M&A tax Big 4 unless specified otherwise.

Agree with the above post/poster that "Big4 salaries seem all over the place" and that salary offers definitely vary by practice line with WNTS and M&A tax being the highest, followed by International Tax, then SALT.

Salaries also vary based on whether one has just a JD or is a JD/LLM.

Would like to know some specifics regarding offers of $80,000 range in SF and LA "as recently as 2019" such as whether JD or JD/LLM and specialty line (M&A, Int'l, SALT).

I do not doubt anything that is shared regarding Big 4 salaries including the $140,000 figure for M&A tax in 2016 that someone shared in another thread years ago. Unfortunately, specific details were not included in this post. (My thought is that it may have included both salary & signing bonus.)

My impression is that offers made during TIP & TARE tend to be more uniform than those made outside of these recruiting events.

Has anyone been asked to make a commitment in terms of years ?

Were BDO & RSM recruiting at TIP & TARE this year ?
BDO did TIP Resume Collect. No RSM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”