San Diego Legal Market AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: San Diego Legal Market AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Original OP: any thoughts on whether any other big firms will open offices in SD in the coming years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:36 pm
Original OP: any thoughts on whether any other big firms will open offices in SD in the coming years?
I guess it's always possible, but I doubt it. From what I've seen, clients don't feel like they need to hire local firms for San Diego work. For example, when I was a clerk at S.D. Cal., firms like Jones Day would regularly use their LA office for San Diego cases, even though the firm has a San Diego office. Basically all the major litigation was handled by lawyers outside of San Diego. My friends in litigation at Latham's San Diego office say they're basically overflow lawyers for other Latham work, because not many local clients will pay Latham rates, and those that will often just go with someone outside the city. There are definitely a lot of IP lawyers here, but outside of IP, I just don't think there's much of a business case for moving to San Diego.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:13 am

Can anyone give more color on the MoFo office in SD? An earlier post described them as second tier, but I'm wondering if anyone can provide more detail on the firm's reputation in the region.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:13 am
Can anyone give more color on the MoFo office in SD? An earlier post described them as second tier, but I'm wondering if anyone can provide more detail on the firm's reputation in the region.
I clerked for S.D. Cal. and work for the local office of a biglaw firm. I'm not super in-tune with what people think the tiers are here, but I think MoFo is well regarded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:13 am
anon from another SD firm. My only hesitation for MoFo is the fact that its a rather small office by biglaw standards. Not sure how the firm views that office but there's been quite a few firms in the last 10ish years that have left San Diego to consolidate in bigger markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Thoughts on Perkins Coie SD? Interested in IP/Tech Trans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:31 pm

What's the lateral market like in SD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Anyone have info on the tech firms here in SD? Gunderson, WSGR, Cooley?

Curious about culture and QOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm

I regularly work across from the Cooley folks. From what I know, the culture is generally fine, but they do seem to work a LOT. They handle a lot of the company side biotech/biopharma work here, so they are buried in IPOs, equity raises, etc. I think you just need to be aware that the work here is HEAVY on biotech/biopharma, not really "tech" like in SV.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm

I regularly work across from the Cooley folks. From what I know, the culture is generally fine, but they do seem to work a LOT. They handle a lot of the company side biotech/biopharma work here, so they are buried in IPOs, equity raises, etc. I think you just need to be aware that the work here is HEAVY on biotech/biopharma, not really "tech" like in SV.
Appreciate the insight! Any scuttlebutt/rumors about the other firms in town on the Corp side?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 am

Hi OP/other San Diego denizens,

Thanks for the helpful SD insight so far. I've never been to SD before but am about to start a clerkship there. I have thought about staying longer term after it, but my interest is more in public interest/government work than biglaw, so I'm not sure if my career interests will overlap well with that market. I saw you mentioned some of the government opportunities in SD, but do you have any insight or information into the range of PI opportunities? Obviously, I can do research into this on my own, but thought I'd ask anyway!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:40 pm

One of the nice things about SD (and California in general) is that you can enjoy the beach, mountains, and desert all pretty easily. Like you can get from SD to Joshua Tree in under 3 hours. You and your wife should definitely check out Julian when you’re here for a month. Julian is a quaint little mountain town that’s about an hour drive from SD with some decent hiking trails, and the Julian Pie Company has some pretty killer apple pies.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your “why SD.” It sounds like you definitely have a sufficient reason for moving to SD that will come across as genuine. Lolwutpar can probably provide you with insights into lateraling if you decide to do it since they recently made that move.

If you have any questions about lit in SD, I’m happy to answer any questions. I’m also in lit. That transfer plan seems like a solid plan if you don’t want to try to lateral directly into SD. Fwiw, I have a friend from law school who landed a job in OC, and her fiancée was able to transfer to his firm’s LA office from NYC. He worked there for a little less than a year before lateraling to a firm in OC, so it’s definitely doable.

I’m not sure if you saw my other comment about where people tend to live, but several more senior associates at my firm who have small children have fairly recently purchased homes in Carlsbad (decent neighborhoods and homes with backyards) for close to $1m.
Thanks for the Julian recommendation. Hiking and apple pie sounds like the perfect combination.

For lit, what's the market like outside of big shops? I'd be interested in a solid mid-sized firm, or even a reputable plaintiff's firm. I don't think my personality is compatible with BL long term.

Thanks for the heads up on Carlsbad. I'm glad we're staying there for a bit next year. I'm not wild about a longer commute, but you can't have everything.
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of solid mid-sized firms here. It probably has something to do with the fact that SD is a smaller legal market, a lot of big law associates tend to stick around longer than in other markets, and some senior associates leave to hang their own shingle. For mid-sized firms, I would personally consider Allen Matkins — they are CA firm mainly known for their real estate work, but have a solid litigation group in SD. The people are very laidback in my experience and it seems like they have a better work-life balance (comp is also probably going to be better than some other mid-sized firms here—a 7th year is probably looking at like $235K base, bonuses are tiered and based on billable hours, and the firm does 401K matching). Other mid-sized firms that come to mind are Stoel Rives (I believe they mainly do energy work at the moment, but they've been trying to grow the office), Procopio, Dinsmore & Shohl, Best Best & Krieger, Higgs Fletcher & Mack, Seltzer Caplan, Paul Plevin is a great firm if you want to try to switch to L&E lit (I've known a few people who have made this change), and Hooper, Lundy & Bookman (solid health care-focused firm with lit). Robbins Geller is probably the best plaintiff's firm here and it's a fairly large office since it's the firm's headquarters.

A lot of people also go into government. CA DOJ has a large office in SD, offers solid pay, and a pretty good work-life. There's also a large USAO office — the Major Frauds and Public Corruption Section handles some pretty high profile and interesting cases here (also largely made up of ex big law associates).

Hope that helps!
This is a wealth of information. Incredibly helpful. Thank you.
Closing the loop on the quoted discussion above--I'm the anon who was contemplating a move to SD. 9 months later, I'm pulling the trigger. Bought a house in Normal Heights. Spent more than I ever would have imagined. YOLO. Thanks to all for the insights--we'll see how it plays out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi OP, hope you don't mind if I ask this on behalf of my partner. She is a 3rd year associate (V10 in M&A), and I am a physician. We are currently in NYC. What are her options (in terms of law firms & practice areas) and when would be the best time if we decide to move to SD?

Thanks in advance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 pm
Hi OP, hope you don't mind if I ask this on behalf of my partner. She is a 3rd year associate (V10 in M&A), and I am a physician. We are currently in NYC. What are her options (in terms of law firms & practice areas) and when would be the best time if we decide to move to SD?

Thanks in advance.
For M&A, Latham and Cooley are probably the best shops in town. DLA also has a decent transactional group in town that's more focused on emerging companies

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

One of the nice things about SD (and California in general) is that you can enjoy the beach, mountains, and desert all pretty easily. Like you can get from SD to Joshua Tree in under 3 hours. You and your wife should definitely check out Julian when you’re here for a month. Julian is a quaint little mountain town that’s about an hour drive from SD with some decent hiking trails, and the Julian Pie Company has some pretty killer apple pies.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your “why SD.” It sounds like you definitely have a sufficient reason for moving to SD that will come across as genuine. Lolwutpar can probably provide you with insights into lateraling if you decide to do it since they recently made that move.

If you have any questions about lit in SD, I’m happy to answer any questions. I’m also in lit. That transfer plan seems like a solid plan if you don’t want to try to lateral directly into SD. Fwiw, I have a friend from law school who landed a job in OC, and her fiancée was able to transfer to his firm’s LA office from NYC. He worked there for a little less than a year before lateraling to a firm in OC, so it’s definitely doable.

I’m not sure if you saw my other comment about where people tend to live, but several more senior associates at my firm who have small children have fairly recently purchased homes in Carlsbad (decent neighborhoods and homes with backyards) for close to $1m.
Thanks for the Julian recommendation. Hiking and apple pie sounds like the perfect combination.

For lit, what's the market like outside of big shops? I'd be interested in a solid mid-sized firm, or even a reputable plaintiff's firm. I don't think my personality is compatible with BL long term.

Thanks for the heads up on Carlsbad. I'm glad we're staying there for a bit next year. I'm not wild about a longer commute, but you can't have everything.
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of solid mid-sized firms here. It probably has something to do with the fact that SD is a smaller legal market, a lot of big law associates tend to stick around longer than in other markets, and some senior associates leave to hang their own shingle. For mid-sized firms, I would personally consider Allen Matkins — they are CA firm mainly known for their real estate work, but have a solid litigation group in SD. The people are very laidback in my experience and it seems like they have a better work-life balance (comp is also probably going to be better than some other mid-sized firms here—a 7th year is probably looking at like $235K base, bonuses are tiered and based on billable hours, and the firm does 401K matching). Other mid-sized firms that come to mind are Stoel Rives (I believe they mainly do energy work at the moment, but they've been trying to grow the office), Procopio, Dinsmore & Shohl, Best Best & Krieger, Higgs Fletcher & Mack, Seltzer Caplan, Paul Plevin is a great firm if you want to try to switch to L&E lit (I've known a few people who have made this change), and Hooper, Lundy & Bookman (solid health care-focused firm with lit). Robbins Geller is probably the best plaintiff's firm here and it's a fairly large office since it's the firm's headquarters.

A lot of people also go into government. CA DOJ has a large office in SD, offers solid pay, and a pretty good work-life. There's also a large USAO office — the Major Frauds and Public Corruption Section handles some pretty high profile and interesting cases here (also largely made up of ex big law associates).

Hope that helps!
Closing the loop on the quoted discussion above--I'm the anon who was contemplating a move to SD. 9 months later, I'm pulling the trigger. Bought a house in Normal Heights. Spent more than I ever would have imagined. YOLO. Thanks to all for the insights--we'll see how it plays out.
One of the previous anon posters who works here. How did it work out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:05 pm

Very interested in lit market for judicial clerks. I graduated from a T6 and will have two years of clerking at the state supreme + district court level, neither in CA.

I have pretty good reasons to be in SD and hopefully wouldn't have lack of ties held against me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:05 pm
Very interested in lit market for judicial clerks. I graduated from a T6 and will have two years of clerking at the state supreme + district court level, neither in CA.

I have pretty good reasons to be in SD and hopefully wouldn't have lack of ties held against me.
It’s a small and competitive market. Best bet is to target Jones Day, Cooley, and Latham for lit

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:30 pm

How is the market for solos and small partnerships? Insight into the plaintiff side medical malpractice side of the profession would be appreciated, I would like to see where it ranks next to my market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:20 pm

johndooley wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:30 pm
How is the market for solos and small partnerships? Insight into the plaintiff side medical malpractice side of the profession would be appreciated, I would like to see where it ranks next to my market.
My understanding is that it's really poor. I think the California med mal cap is like $250,000 based on some tort reform statute. I'm sure smart plaintiff's lawyers have some hook to get around this somehow, but everyone I talk to acts like med mal is very low wage in California.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:20 pm
johndooley wrote:
My understanding is that it's really poor. I think the California med mal cap is like $250,000 based on some tort reform statute. I'm sure smart plaintiff's lawyers have some hook to get around this somehow, but everyone I talk to acts like med mal is very low wage in California.
That's nuts. Got to feel for the victims of grossly negligent malpractice, injured in the most gruesome ways and cannot be paid for the lifelong (sometimes fatal) damage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:09 pm

johndooley wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
That's nuts. Got to feel for the victims of grossly negligent malpractice, injured in the most gruesome ways and cannot be paid for the lifelong (sometimes fatal) damage.
Looks like Newsom recently signed a bill to raise the cap significantly:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/05/23/gover ... 4750%2C000.

New west coast Dooley office in the cards?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:09 pm
johndooley wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:28 am
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Looks like Newsom recently signed a bill to raise the cap significantly:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/05/23/gover ... 4750%2C000.

New west coast Dooley office in the cards?
Never voted for a presidential candidate before, if he lifts his fingers one more time for trial attorneys I will start knocking on doors.

Let's get that percentage up to 33% across the board though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hope that helps!
One of the previous anon posters who works here. How did it work out?
It's going great so far! I'm still working for my old firm remotely (we have an LA office). I've now been here for a year, and it seems like lateralling would be achievable if things don't work out long-term in the remote position. Loving SD and feel grateful to be here. One weird thing is that the milder transition between seasons makes it hard to track the passage of time. I think I'm gonna wake up in 10 years and wonder how it happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:51 pm

As someone who also moved to SD within the past year, it's been great. Firm is materially more chill (most people outside of the neurotic cap-m folks aren't working most weekends) and living in SD is great. So nice being close to the ocean. It's such a gorgeous city and you can tell people want to be here unlike other cities I've lived in.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:51 pm
As someone who also moved to SD within the past year, it's been great. Firm is materially more chill (most people outside of the neurotic cap-m folks aren't working most weekends) and living in SD is great. So nice being close to the ocean. It's such a gorgeous city and you can tell people want to be here unlike other cities I've lived in.
If I may ask, where did you move from? And did you find the need to take a second bar exam onerous/how long did you have to study for it as a practicing attorney several years out of law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”