Help: Trying to lateral to NY from abroad Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paperrev

New

Help: Trying to lateral to NY from abroad

Post by paperrev » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Hello all. The title essentially explains it all. I am a 2017 JD grad currently working in Asia in a (sizable) local corporate firm doing mostly M&A/transactional work. I worked in New York for a year (in-house) after graduation, but came back for visa reasons where I met my husband who is a U.S. citizen. Now that my visa is settled out, we are trying to move back to New York where he's from, but I'm having trouble really gaining any traction with employers. I'm looking for law firm jobs (would love to take a crack at big law because I feel like my shelf-life is expiring quickly), and I've been sending out applications for about a month now, but really no luck in terms of responses. Does anybody have any tips or words of advice in targeting the NY market from abroad?

Lancair

New

Re: Help: Trying to lateral to NY from abroad

Post by Lancair » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Have you been talking to recruiters about what firms might be interested in you?

It is far from impossible, esp. if you are US qualified. My firm is full of Australians and Canadians without US law degrees. Sounds like you just need to find a firm who’s busy in your practice area and needs bodies, and that’s your entry into the market. Presumably a recruiter could help you find that.

Anonymous User

Re: Help: Trying to lateral to NY from abroad

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Congrats on the marriage and move. NY normally requires a few classes to transfer your license. Unless your JD is ABA then disregard that part obviously. Either way in house document review can pay good until then. Especially if you speak another language too. Those are always in demand .

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”