Worth it to take a hit on class year(s) to jump from Finance to Corporate/M&A? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I go for it?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Worth it to take a hit on class year(s) to jump from Finance to Corporate/M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:29 am

I’m currently a rising 5th year lender-side Finance associate in a (NY market paying, at the firms I’m talking about) secondary market. I’m planning to move to NY/SF in a couple years (probably to another biglaw firm initially), where the goal is to eventually go in-house somewhere cool/high-paying. I don’t really care what, just want to maximize earning potential (while eventually having some work-life balance).

Been talking to a recruiter, and I may have an opportunity to lateral into what seems like a general corporate/M&A practice in my same city. I’d probably have to take a 1 or 2 year class year hit. So, assuming I’m back on the market looking in NY/SF in 2 years, I’d have ~4 years of Finance experience at a ~V50 and ~2 years of Corp./M&A experience at a ~V60. The new firm is Chambers band 4 in corporate/M&A in the secondary market (current group is unranked, but legit).

Is this something I should jump on?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Worth it to take a hit on class year(s) to jump from Finance to Corporate/M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:23 am

I did some finance work before lateraling to get out of the practice area. Some people really like it; others don’t. Sounds like you’re not one of those who really like it—I’d consider lateraling out to broaden your experience base and also to make yourself more marketable in case you want expanded options outside firms (ie in house).

Anonymous User

Re: Worth it to take a hit on class year(s) to jump from Finance to Corporate/M&A?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:40 am

What I always tell people who are looking to switch practice groups is this: it doesn't matter if you take a pay cut or a class year cut. It's almost ALWAYS worth it to switch out of a practice area you don't like, into one that you'll like better. Just make sure you think through why you're switching practice groups.

From your post, it seems like you're only contemplating the switch because of the opportunity you have to lateral, and possibly because you think you'll have better exit opportunities (which you probably will). Only you can decide if these are good enough reasons.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”