Applying to law firms after being no-offered Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to law firms after being no-offered

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Do law firms you interview with check with your old firm to see if you got an offer?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to law firms after being no-offered

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Based on my experience they will likely ask you a question during the interview that will lead to you telling them about the no offer yourself (you should not lie) or some may even blatantly ask if you got an offer (and some even do before interviewing you). I think you will definitely need good references, preferably from the firm that no offered you, to have a chance of overcoming the no offer stigma once you tell a firm. You may also want to try a new city where your old firm doesn’t have an office.

That said, given the current climate, firms may be less sensitive to a no offer than they were several years ago (guessing that they may be more common this year). Also, I am now at a top firm that rejected me during OCI and am much happier than I would have been at my summer firm so hang in there! I can’t say it was an easy road but you will figure something out as long as you don’t give up!

Finally, if it doesn’t work out with a firm now, it may be worth looking into clerkships or something similar and then you can try again when people are less likely to suspect the possibility.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”