Deal sheets for in-house application? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cunninghat

New

Deal sheets for in-house application?

Post by cunninghat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Does anyone have insight into whether it is standard to include a lateral Biglaw-type deal sheet for in-house positions as well? Might it differ based on type of in house - e.g., if it's a heavily deal-based role at a PE firm vs. a commercial/product counsel role at a tech company? I've rarely if ever seen one actually requested as part of the application package, in which case would including one appended to the resume be viewed negatively? Thanks!

nealric

Re: Deal sheets for in-house application?

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:49 am

cunninghat wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Does anyone have insight into whether it is standard to include a lateral Biglaw-type deal sheet for in-house positions as well? Might it differ based on type of in house - e.g., if it's a heavily deal-based role at a PE firm vs. a commercial/product counsel role at a tech company? I've rarely if ever seen one actually requested as part of the application package, in which case would including one appended to the resume be viewed negatively? Thanks!
I included one when I applied in-house. I think it was helpful in my case because my firm was not well known in the location of my company's HQ (did not have an office or do much work in the industry). The deal sheet was helpful in showing that I had worked on substantial deals in line with what I might work on at the company. A deal sheet can also be a lot more revealing about your expertise than generalized resume lines.

Prize24

New

Post by Prize24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I never submitted a deal sheet when applying to in house jobs and was never asked for one in any interview process. I ended up getting multiple offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Securities counsel at a corporation checking in. Never included a deal sheet. In my case, they were looking for someone who could assist with reporting, compliance and corporate governance work. I actually downplayed the amount of deal experience I had because I wanted them to focus on the ongoing issuer-side work I had done and not all of my one-off underwriter-side deals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”