What do you invest your savings in?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
polareagle

Bronze

Re: What do you invest your savings in?

Post by polareagle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Neff wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:37 pm
Pulsar wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm
I do a lot of what nealric says. Almost all my investments are with Vanguard. After bonus season, I fund a traditional IRA in January and then backdoor it to Roth a few weeks later. I set 401k contributions to be pretty high (max that out by april) and dump extra money into a taxable Vanguard brokerage account.
I thought you just had to convert a traditional IRA account to backdoor Roth once and that's it (i.e. future contributions will be Roth contributions)? Are you implying that after you contribute each year, you have to separately backdoor that contribution annually? Or am I misunderstanding?
There's a HHI limitation on contributing to a Roth IRA ($139,000 in Modified AGI for a single person in 2020). There's no limitation on contributing to a non-tax deductible traditional IRA. There's also no income limitation on converting funds in a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. So if you have a high income but want to contribute to a Roth IRA, each year you contribute after tax to a traditional IRA and then immediately convert it to Roth.

ETA: This process becomes more complex if you aggregate pre-tax and post-tax funds in your traditional IRA. Please read up on all the steps and complexities before doing this in order to avoid tax consequences.

showusyourtorts

New

Post by showusyourtorts » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:14 pm
Lukky wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:08 pm
So, do biglaw firms typically allow the type of 401k plan that allows for MBDR? Are people taking advantage of them here?
Clifford Chance allows us to contribute $10K on top of the standard $19.5K.
My biglaw firm allows for the full MBDR (i.e., up to the 37k). I’ve asked a few friends that are scattered among v50 firms and it’s about 50/50 on whether their plans allow for it.

Pulsar

Bronze

Post by Pulsar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Unless I'm crazy (I've done this for a couple years), you have to perform the backdoor each year. You always have to first plop it in the traditional ira, and then convert to a roth one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”