What's going on at PW?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What's going on at PW?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:36 pm
Thanks for sharing. If there are people starting in October (soon after the bar, I'm guessing), they really need to tell us.
They just announced. Start dates are staggered between October and January, it seems.
Correct.

Start date is not based exclusively on practice area. People in the same areas will start at different times. I'm only a junior associate, so I'm not privy to the parters rationale.
Weird. Then what could it possibly be based on? I've heard that people leaving to clerk are starting earlier, but I know people who are not clerking who are starting in October. FWIW, I've heard that all of the small groups seem to be starting together. But starting in Dec/Jan with no stipend is brutal. Worse than the firms who pushed off to January, at least gave their incoming associates some notice, and gave stipends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:08 am

PW is offering a second salary advance 10K.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am

On the one hand, I think staggered starts are probably more fair if it’s done by practice area. If I was going into bankruptcy, I’d be pissed if I was deferred until January just because my firm didn’t have work for the incoming corporate associates.

On the other hand, staggered starts can’t be good for morale. It’s even worse if they aren’t staggered by practice group. I can’t imagine corporate associates starting in December will be very pleased if their peers get two extra months to form relationships, learn the lay of the land, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:23 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am
I can’t imagine corporate associates starting in December will be very pleased if their peers get two extra months to form relationships, learn the lay of the land, etc.
PW anon. They'll be fine. A two-month head start doesn't mean anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:23 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
I can’t imagine corporate associates starting in December will be very pleased if their peers get two extra months to form relationships, learn the lay of the land, etc.
Maybe not in this sense, but they’re missing out on $30,000+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
I agree that they'll be fine, but the incoming associates probably do not see it that way right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:38 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
I agree that they'll be fine, but the incoming associates probably do not see it that way right now.
Summer associates also had a staggered start and those who started early (at least for some in litigation) got slammed with work because extra help was really needed in some cases. So maybe it'll turn out better for those starting later to just slide in...

But I agree, starting later, with no extra salary, IN A PANDEMIC, will definitely not be seen as a better option. At least they're providing health insurance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:10 pm

I am probably in the minority, but I'm a little worried about starting 12 days after I take the bar exam (Oct 12).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a little worried that I'll be starting 12 days after I take the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
Maybe not in this sense, but they’re missing out on $30,000+
stub year taxable rates are no joke

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm
blair.waldorf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a little worried that I'll be starting 12 days after I take the bar exam.
I’m sure you’re not the only one, and this is why it doesn’t make sense to force us randomly into a wide range of start dates. We all have different preferences and financial situations and there’s a huge difference between starting in Oct and Dec.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m sure you’re not the only one, and this is why it doesn’t make sense to force us randomly into a wide range of start dates. We all have different preferences and financial situations and there’s a huge difference between starting in Oct and Dec.
Yeah, I see a lot of people assuming earlier-is-better for everyone, which just isn't the case. Earlier is better for people who are in bad financial straits and don't have other time-sucks at the moment. For myself, my spouse has an income so it's not financially pressing to start immediately, and I've got two kids at home during this pandemic, which makes it terrifying to be starting a massively demanding job right now. I've been slotted into December, which is the best of these options for me, but I frankly would've been quietly relieved to be deferred to next year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, I see a lot of people assuming earlier-is-better for everyone, which just isn't the case. Earlier is better for people who are in bad financial straits and don't have other time-sucks at the moment. For myself, my spouse has an income so it's not financially pressing to start immediately, and I've got two kids at home during this pandemic, which makes it terrifying to be starting a massively demanding job right now. I've been slotted into December, which is the best of these options for me, but I frankly would've been quietly relieved to be deferred to next year.
No one is saying that starting earlier is better for EVERYONE - but it's reasonable to assume that people generally wouldn't want to miss out on an $30K+ during a pandemic, regardless of whether your spouse works or not. Also, a stub year associate isn't expected to hit the ground running from day 1 - there are a bunch of training sessions, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just want to add that your situation is very unique. Most of the students out of law school do not have a working spouse and/or kids. For a lot of them, why start in Dec/Jan when they can get $30k+ more plus all the benefits?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:07 am

Anon with kids here.

To be clear, my point wasn't that my situation is at all common. I know it's not. My point was that incoming associates have varying situations, so unless we were assigned dates strictly according to need, it would've been nice if they'd surveyed us or something to determine need/preferences rather than assigning dates randomly.

brb2020

New

Post by brb2020 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Anyone know how PW is dealing with going back into the office? Or is it WFH until 2021? Any guidance there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just want to add that your situation is very unique. Most of the students out of law school do not have a working spouse and/or kids. For a lot of them, why start in Dec/Jan when they can get $30k+ more plus all the benefits?
Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely be happy for the money. However, me and many of my friends who are incoming associates (at PW and other firms) are inbetween housing right now because our leases were up in August, the bar exam got pushed, and we didn't want to deal with the stress of moving during the pandemic/during bar studying. I'd be panicking if I needed to find housing that is secure and quiet enough to start my new job in the two weeks after I take the bar exam or during the first few weeks of my new job. Plus, I assume those starting sooner also now have to do the pre-hire paperwork during the lead up to the bar.

I don't think firms pushing people to Jan/Feb is a good solution for anyone, but I wonder why PW couldn't give notice of start dates earlier in the summer or allow incoming Oct. associates three weeks instead of two to get their affairs in order.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 am

brb2020 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm
Anyone know how PW is dealing with going back into the office? Or is it WFH until 2021? Any guidance there?
The offices are open but folks have to comply with a ton of restrictions. Partners have told us that's not worth coming in unless we absolutely need to and we should feel free to work from home indefinitely until things improve. There's no set "return date." Many of partners and associates have left the NYC area

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”