Weil hiring? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weil hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm

I remember when I applied to weil two years ago, the recruiting office was really quick (even if it was a rejection). The turnaround was like 2 days. I just emailed the regular recruiting email since there wasn’t a posted opening.

Fast forward two years: I inquired about a position recently and it’s been radio silence for a month. They didn’t have a posting but since I’ve reached out to recruiting, I’ve received numerous emails from recruiters advertising an opening there for my class level.

What gives? Should I reach out again? I know it’s not ideal to direct apply, but I did so given the tepid associate hiring market.

Are they just sitting on my application to see if better candidates apply? I’m assuming it’s more likely that they passed and forgot to tell me, but I’m curious because I’ve had friends do lateral interviews there and it’s generally been a multi-month process (not bankruptcy).

Anonymous User

Re: Weil hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:43 pm

I applied to Weil while clerking, and they were way slower than other firms, to the point that I took another offer before they got back to me and had to decline the interview when they finally got back. I did email them (to no response) when I was interviewing elsewhere. I will say that I liked everyone I talked to at Weil, really respected the group, and would have taken them more seriously if they'd moved faster.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm
I remember when I applied to weil two years ago, the recruiting office was really quick (even if it was a rejection). The turnaround was like 2 days. I just emailed the regular recruiting email since there wasn’t a posted opening.

Fast forward two years: I inquired about a position recently and it’s been radio silence for a month. They didn’t have a posting but since I’ve reached out to recruiting, I’ve received numerous emails from recruiters advertising an opening there for my class level.

What gives? Should I reach out again? I know it’s not ideal to direct apply, but I did so given the tepid associate hiring market.

Are they just sitting on my application to see if better candidates apply? I’m assuming it’s more likely that they passed and forgot to tell me, but I’m curious because I’ve had friends do lateral interviews there and it’s generally been a multi-month process (not bankruptcy).
I'm not in the loop on recruiting but wouldn't be surprised if we are hiring. Restructuring is obviously busy but a lot of the associates on the transactional side are also at capacity. Most of the deals I've heard of are not bankruptcy-related yet so expect there will be another surge in work once all of these bankruptcy filings turn into exits/deals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:51 pm

(Posting Anon because I'm thinking of applying to some firms and don't want my post history and other giveaways to out me. Thank you.)

Did you apply to Weil (and other firms) without a recruiter? I've only used a recruiter, but maybe that's a mistake and I should be applying directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 pm

I applied to Weil directly, but I’ve used recruiters for most firms. Weil wasn’t hiring when I reached out, so recruiters weren’t advertising. Now it seems like weil is looking yet I haven’t heard anything from the firm regarding my application

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 pm
I applied to Weil directly, but I’ve used recruiters for most firms. Weil wasn’t hiring when I reached out, so recruiters weren’t advertising. Now it seems like weil is looking yet I haven’t heard anything from the firm regarding my application
Weil associate here. I'd follow up - say that you saw they are advertising a position that fits your experience. Doesn't hurt to reaffirm your interest in my opinion.

From my experience, it seems like a good amount of laterals we hire are brought in by recruiters/associate referrals. If I had to guess, I think we like the convenience of having that initial level of vetting but I'm sure they wouldn't mind saving on the extra fees. Just might be a little harder to stand out / get their attention.

I wouldn't go overboard with pestering them but reaffirming your interest once after seeing a new relevant opening seems appropriate to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Weil associate here. I'd follow up - say that you saw they are advertising a position that fits your experience. Doesn't hurt to reaffirm your interest in my opinion.

From my experience, it seems like a good amount of laterals we hire are brought in by recruiters/associate referrals. If I had to guess, I think we like the convenience of having that initial level of vetting but I'm sure they wouldn't mind saving on the extra fees. Just might be a little harder to stand out / get their attention.

I wouldn't go overboard with pestering them but reaffirming your interest once after seeing a new relevant opening seems appropriate to me.
Any intel on what clerks usually do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:47 am
Anonymous User wrote:

What do you mean? I know some SA class of 2019 that were doing post-law school clerkships have already started.

For new clerk hires, I'm not in lit so I don't really know but if I had to guess it would be an edge for those interested in the restructuring group. Doesn't really matter much for transactional and obviously great for lit but not sure how much they are hiring. But we've been good to our SA class of 2019 clerks so I guess that is a good sign.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:45 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:18 am

What do you mean? I know some SA class of 2019 that were doing post-law school clerkships have already started.

For new clerk hires, I'm not in lit so I don't really know but if I had to guess it would be an edge for those interested in the restructuring group. Doesn't really matter much for transactional and obviously great for lit but not sure how much they are hiring. But we've been good to our SA class of 2019 clerks so I guess that is a good sign.
As in, what do clerks usually do to signal interest in the firm, e.g. recruiters, direct applications, etc.

More specifically, I'm interested in how DE/SDNY BK clerks connect with the BFR group, which I imagine might differ from clerks generally, though I gather that you probably don't have much insight into that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:51 pm

There’s a party every year with the Delaware and sdny bankruptcy clerks with the BFR group to wine and dine them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:51 pm
There’s a party every year with the Delaware and sdny bankruptcy clerks with the BFR group to wine and dine them
Right, I've heard of this, but I'm extremely skeptical that anything like that is going to fly this year.

Which I guess makes past anecdotes considerably less useful, unfortunately, so I guess there isn't that much of a point in asking about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Right, I've heard of this, but I'm extremely skeptical that anything like that is going to fly this year.

Which I guess makes past anecdotes considerably less useful, unfortunately, so I guess there isn't that much of a point in asking about it.
Weil associate here again. No idea if we use outside recruiters for clerkship hiring. BFR is very busy (they were actually pretty jammed even before COVID with all the retail bankruptcies like Sears, etc.) and I hope they're hiring.

We have Weil associates from other groups who've volunteered to do secondments in BFR (for about 3 months each) so they definitely have the work / are willing to onboard new people.

I think it is hard for us to find laterals with the right experience so someone with a DE/SDNY bankruptcy court clerkship will probably be attractive and I bet your application would get a look.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If you have contacts at Weil in the group I'd ping them. Win-win for everyone at that point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have contacts at Weil in the group I'd ping them. Win-win for everyone at that point.
OP here. I have some tangential contacts there, but wouldn’t they not get a referral since I already sent my resume to recruiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I have some tangential contacts there, but wouldn’t they not get a referral since I already sent my resume to recruiting?
Not sure how the referral fee would work but it's also a win-win in the sense that associates want the firm to hire good people to help spread around the work.

I wouldn't overthink this. Since you've already applied, I would send a brief follow-up reaffirming your interest (this would be directed at the Weil internal recruiter where you sent your application). Then I would send brief notes your Weil BFR attorny connections.

Keep it simple and you don't need to ask them to do anything. Just let them know you've applied and thank them again for whatever interaction you had with them before (this will also remind them who you are if it has been a while). If they liked you, it is simple for them to just forwarded your email to recruiting and say hey I met this person and I liked them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 pm

OP here again. I emailed NY recruiting to follow-up and nothing. I have an offer in hand from another market firm, but I’d really prefer to work at Weil. Do I just give up and take the other offer at this point since I’ve reached out and followed up without any response?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”