Rising 3L trying to break into Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 3L trying to break into Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm

I'm a rising 3L at a T14. I was at a midsize firm this summer in my home market. My firm doesn't give offers to summers and only hires on a need only basis. They told me to come back in Spring and check if they have openings.

My goal is still Big Law. I've been networking this past summer. Some have been super helpful and connected me with others. I've also heard of advice to just start mass mailing this summer. I'm not sure how to proceed with this since I've heard different advice. Should I just cold email hiring partners at firms throughout the country (I don't have a geographic preference) and if so, how would I go about doing this?

bobafet

New

Re: Rising 3L trying to break into Big Law

Post by bobafet » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I was in your position last year and after submitting dozens of applications, I managed to land a job with a V5. I'd start by scanning the job posting pages on firm websites. Be methodical in how you mass mail and be broad in your coverage. Make sure your story is simply and understandable and you show clear connections to the practice area or geographic area. Don't be discouraged by "no" answers, especially since firms are tightening their belts with COVID. I'd rely on your network over cold-calling partners and reach out to fellow classmates you know at firms who can give you the real scoop in light of COVID and help get your resume to the correct people.

Mass mailing is really just a sales funnel tactic: A higher number of applications improves your chances of actually getting a position ... and you only need one firm to say yes. There are a number of threads here that deal with strategies for mass mailing and go over the details of how to do it well.

All that being said, definitely consider some back-up options (government jobs, clerkships with newly confirmed judges, and smaller to mid-sized firms). Landing a Big Law position as a 3L without prior Big Law experience is not unheard of but is certainly tough (and will be even tougher in this environment). Best of luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”