ADHD Lawyers - Share Your Tips

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ADHD Lawyers - Share Your Tips

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:14 pm
That said, I feel like I have been performing much worse since joining biglaw (I'm a junior associate in litigation). I simply cannot focus on the boring minutiae as well as many of my peers. I feel huge imposter syndrome and have messed up multiple assignments that I feel like people judge me for. It's hard to know what to do.
I'm in the exact same boat. Junior litigation associate, find that these symptoms are much more difficult to manage and/or hide in biglaw than they were in law school. It can be really tough day to day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:03 pm

I actually quit being a lawyer 6 months in and now get to work more on stuff that I tend to "hyper-focus" on as I had significant trouble focusing on the shit that really matters for junior corporate associates (attention to detail, hunting out clauses during diligence, general organization of findings, etc.). I'd get dumped full data room deadlines and have timing issues because I'd wait too long.

But in to answer your question, I do pretty well in work now by setting interim artificial deadlines with people I work with (ie; I'll get you a model draft by Tuesday for discussion).

Still run into problems when shit hits the fan and I need to turnaround reformatted shit in like 4 hours for internal stuff but it helps significantly with the deliverables that actually matter for me and my reviews. I've also strategically avoided getting tasked with notes / ensured there was another person taking back-up notes for high value calls as that's one task I can't seem to nail down well.

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 am
Let me be even blunter, the 2 weeks of finals and the 2 weeks (1 week each semester) before finals are probably enough to get pretty solid grades with ADHD level of hyper-focus. If you want straight As, extend that by a couple weeks per semester tracking down more outlines to incorporate and assimilate. Reading case books, taking notes, making briefs, and all that good jazz was totally useless for me. I got more out of attending class by just focusing on what the professor has on the blackboard and puzzling out implications on the spot and attacking his/her hypotheticals.

Overall I found law school itself really easy and actually mostly masked ADHD's weaknesses.

It was the practice of law that was really bad for me. In practice, the memos/letters/discovery requests/contracts are borderline/straightup boiler plate and seniors sent all kinds of samples and we're expected to follow the language. It's stuff that T1/T2 kids that got in the firm through nepotism could do with some practice and training.
Lol wtf how did no one else catch this?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:57 pm

Oh, I saw it earlier, and decided not to engage given the overall tone of the thread, but yeah, it was a really stupid comment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”