What's going on at Skadden?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Scallion

New

Re: What's going on at Skadden?

Post by Scallion » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 pm
I'm OP of the CB GPA numbers, and they are from my alma mater T13. They are a few years old (but only a few). The 25th and Minimum callback GPA numbers can and do drop significantly. Six of the V10 have minimum numbers around 3.0 in their home markets, including Cravath. No data for GDC. PW data has a 3.4 minimum in NY, but I don't have data on other officers. S&C and Skadden had CB GPAs around 3.0 in many markets but around 3.5 in NY. Wachtell's minimum? 3.88.
Thanks for explaining. The bold figures are consistent with the GPAs of people who I've seen get biglaw from T14, so I was having a hard time understanding why you included much higher GPAs in your initial post. They made it look like you can't get biglaw from a T14 without absurdly high GPAs, which (as someone suggested) might actually be true if you're from a TTT. Your point about Wachtell having a high hurdle stands.

Anonymous User

Re: What's going on at Skadden?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Scallion wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanks for explaining. The bold figures are consistent with the GPAs of people who I've seen get biglaw from T14, so I was having a hard time understanding why you included much higher GPAs in your initial post. They made it look like you can't get biglaw from a T14 without absurdly high GPAs, which (as someone suggested) might actually be true if you're from a TTT. Your point about Wachtell having a high hurdle stands.
Same OP, sorry for the confusion.

Biglaw definitely has a ton of folks with what are considered average GPAs from the T13.

The vast majority of students at V10 firms, however, have very high GPAs. You probably hear from the folks that squeaked into a V10 with a 3.2 GPA more simply because they have an "I beat the odds story" that they both want to share and you want to hear. The gal with cum laude and order of the coif grades on the firm website probably isn't bringing up her GPA, because her outcome is in a sense unremarkable; it was wholly expected.

Once you drop to the V50, 3.2-3.4 GPA students are the norm at my T13 for median callback GPA. DLA Piper, Fried Frank, Shearman & Sterling, etc. are filled with tons of T13 students getting paid market salaries with incredibly mediocre grades. If you're at a TT or TTT though, you're probably going to need to be order of the coif to land there.

I think the TT/TTT situation (meaning the schools that only send the top 10% to biglaw) is interesting. At a T13, if you're at the top of your class, then you're competitive for a V5. As you go down the GPA curve, you become competitive for less and less prestigious firms. From my experience watching TT/TTT folks, if you're at the top of you're class you're competitive for V5-V100, but if you're not at the top of your class you aren't competitive for anything in the biglaw realm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”