Biglaw doing well during covid? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sackboy

Silver

Re: Biglaw doing well during covid?

Post by Sackboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm

What had that firm done regarding associate pay and its summer associate program, broadly speaking?
None of the V5 lowered associate pay, so that answers your question there at least.

RatherBe1234

New

Post by RatherBe1234 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:38 pm
My firm data point -- Midlevel litigation associate. Firm is known as NY Elite. Litigation overall is slow (it was extremely slow between March-June) but things are starting to pick up. Most of the work is advisory and we've even branched out to low-margin work that we normally don't take on. We're getting a lot of billing pressure from clients. Most associates are doing busywork. Because of PR issue, we've extended offer to the full class of summer associates and all incoming associates are onboarding. Not sure what they'll work on though, since we don't have enough work to go around. Some pockets have work, but the work is not evenly distributed and not our "bread and butter" litigation. Partners are going on pitches but failing to generate business. The firm also offered a payout to staff and quietly asking staff to leave. Suspicious departures at the midlevel ranks. I personally am leaving, because I see the writing on the wall.
Can you please be a little more specific as to which firm? Like Vault ranking? I'm a summer at a NY Biglaw firm and am a little concerned.
It's one of the top 2. It's well known in the industry that we are unusually slow compared to our peers.
As in V2? If not, what Vault ranking?
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:49 am

It is one of V2

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 am

JFC. Of course Cravath associates say things like "It's one of the V2."

I can't believe this absurd guessing game went on for this many posts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am

Sackboy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm

What had that firm done regarding associate pay and its summer associate program, broadly speaking?
None of the V5 lowered associate pay, so that answers your question there at least.
My V5 has also said that numbers are overall flat in 2020 vs 2019 (i.e. across practice groups and year levels), but it's apparent at least in my corner of the firm that there's been reduced hiring, definitely some attrition (can't say how much is voluntary vs. stealth - some people have had great exits, but others have just disappeared), so there's been no paycuts, but the firm looks like it's rightsizing demand and staffing as far as I can see. My hours are pretty much the same as last year, but the team is smaller. Just one data point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 am

My V10 (strong bankruptcy practice) has increased revenues compared to last year, primarily as a result of corporate work across the board. Lit is a straggler, though it varies by group (patent, securities, white collar, antitrust are slammed but others seem to be doing a LOT of pro bono). Haven't seen any rightsizing in my corporate practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”