Cooley? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cooley?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 am

Hi all!

Does anyone have any insight on Cooley Palo Alto office? Anything and everything ranging from culture to work-life balance, lateral opportunities, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Specific details about their L&E group/team would be even more appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Cooley?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:43 am

I have my friend in the EC/VC group of Cooley Palo Alto office and also visited their office a couple times for reception and interview. People seemed very nice and collegial while being pretty busy. It's a great firm and rapidly growing but surprisingly has been pretty cheap in dealing with the covid19 crisis (summer program paycut, deferring incoming first years, and staff salary cuts). I am not sure whether they are not in a good position financially or the management simply takes a conservative attitude though.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm opposite a lot of deals from Cooley and everyone I work with from partners to associates seems super nice/chill. I also like that I always e-mail them on weekends asking for docs but they never seem to reply until Monday, making me think they have a more or less OK lifestyle (though they may just be cranking other docs out, who knows...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:56 am

Anyone know about Cooley bankruptcy culture wise. They aren’t like a huge player but if you look them up they def have business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:56 am

Anyone know about Cooley bankruptcy culture wise. They aren’t like a huge player but if you look them up they def have business.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:56 am
Anon at band 1 creditor shop: I have never seen Cooley, ever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
They seem to have business according to Reorg...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
They seem to have business according to Reorg...
Not disputing they have business, just think it's important color re: the type of deals they do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different anon at band 1 creditor shop: but that's why Cooley catches my interest. If I see a firm regularly in our deals, then they work too hard and not what i'm looking for lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:06 am

OP here. Thanks all!! Will continue to appreciate any insight that others may have! I'm puzzled by their small L&E department size though. Is it one of those firms that you're working or "on-call" effectively 24/7? Or do most attorneys there keep a fairly regular Monday to Friday 9 to 6pm type schedule?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:48 am

Do attorneys at any big firm keep a M-F 9-6 schedule?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 pm

OP Here - lol good point. I should have said relatively more 9-6pm than other "Big Law" shops. In other words, hopefully not crazy calling you late or in the middle of the night routinely

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:26 pm

What type of L&E work do you want to do? I interviewed at Cooley a while back for an L&E position, and while I liked the firm and partners, ultimately decided I did not want to do M&A support work. If you are fine with that, then by all means it’s a great firm.

However, if you want to focus on litigation and advice work, you might want to look elsewhere. There are other Bay Area firms, like Morgan Lewis and Paul Hastings, that focus on litigation with great exit opportunities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Anyone have any insight into Cooley's NY office? Considering a position with their Cap Markets team.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:26 pm
What type of L&E work do you want to do? I interviewed at Cooley a while back for an L&E position, and while I liked the firm and partners, ultimately decided I did not want to do M&A support work. If you are fine with that, then by all means it’s a great firm.

However, if you want to focus on litigation and advice work, you might want to look elsewhere. There are other Bay Area firms, like Morgan Lewis and Paul Hastings, that focus on litigation with great exit opportunities.
Thanks so much for your insight! Would you be willing to share more about what exactly their M&A support work entails (if you know)? How were the people and culture from your impression? Did you see it as a problem for future laterals and exit options? What would be the exit option for lit versus the M&A support work? I'm currently wage and hour class action litigation with the standard array of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, misclassification, etc. I had fairly average grades. Are there other firms you would recommend? Thanks a million!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 am

Not sure what their M&A supper work would entail, but I was told it was around 30% of their L&E practice, which was a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise, I had a great impression of the firm and partners—I got the impression that it was relatively laid back compared to my firm and the others I interviewed at.

As far as other Bay Area biglaw firms, Paul Hastings, Orrick, and Morgan Lewis have particularly strong groups. Another that comes to mind is Sheppard Mullin, although I have heard of some cultural problems there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm
Anyone have any insight into Cooley's NY office? Considering a position with their Cap Markets team.
Bump - any insight in the NY office and their Cap Markets team?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:26 pm

FWIW, I have anecdotally heard of very positive junior associate experiences across a range of groups there at both Nyc and boston offices.

In fact if somebody said “what v50 firms have you anecdotally heard the best stuff about (vis a vis associate happiness),” Cooley would definitely be very near the top of the list

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 am
Not sure what their M&A supper work would entail, but I was told it was around 30% of their L&E practice, which was a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise, I had a great impression of the firm and partners—I got the impression that it was relatively laid back compared to my firm and the others I interviewed at.

As far as other Bay Area biglaw firms, Paul Hastings, Orrick, and Morgan Lewis have particularly strong groups. Another that comes to mind is Sheppard Mullin, although I have heard of some cultural problems there.
Thank you!! As someone who did a lateral on L&E, can I pick your brain on what made you choose whichever firm you're currently with? (I don't mean to ask which firm you're at as that would compromise your anonymity, but like what were the important factors for you and what was special about the place you ultimately chose?) What kind of cultural problems at Sheppard? Did you get any sense of whether Cooley is a hard cut-off on GPA for laterals? I'm assuming the other big shops you mentioned like Paul Hastings, Orrick, and Morgan Lewis are hard cut-off firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Any more insight on this? Specifically about culture and how slammed they might be now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Any other culture or other pros and cons about Cooley in general? Details about Palo Alto, would be even better. Thanks all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm
Bump - any insight in the NY office and their Cap Markets team?
I interviewed there a while back, work across from them all the time, and am pretty close to several associates in that group. Their whole cap markets group has been extremely busy for the last few years. They are (desperately) looking to hire additional associates, particularly at the junior and mid levels. They keep bringing in business and lateral partners, but it doesn't seem like they can keep up with recruiting associates (it doesn't help that no associates in NY have offices - shared or otherwise). Associate morale is not great, though I get the sense that people like the work they do.Having worked across from Cooley frequently, I can say the quality of the work they produce is usually below that of comparable firms. despite apparently having pretty good lawyers. I assume that this is a product of everyone being stretched too thin. People are generally nice, though the culture is a bit fratty at times.

If you want to do equity capital markets, there probably aren't many better opportunities for experience. If you're concerned about billing 3000+, it's probably not a great group.

Anon for obvious reasons. Mods, please message me before identifying me if you think there is a need for further explanation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 am

Wow that NY office sounds so different from the Palo Alto office insights above. Anyone else have any insight on the Palo Alto office? Out of curiosity, Associates do have an office at Palo Alto, right? Is it common to not have an office at a law firm for attorneys??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Cooley Palo Alto associates generally have their own offices (when going to the office was a thing). First and second years aren't guaranteed a single occupancy, window office - they either get a single occupancy interior office or a double window office (which are former big partner offices and pretty spacious). This is mostly due to the office having grown a lot (and while a suburb, Palo Alto real estate is not exactly inexpensive). At this stage of the pandemic I wouldn't want to speculate about what the future holds for any office in terms of whether there will be shared offices, open office plans, or just fewer people coming into the office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:01 am

Oh interesting, I didn't realize 1st and 2nd year associates sometimes shared offices. Is this something that happens at other Big Law firms too? It sounds like 3rd years definitely have their own office on the outside with a window then? How doe a shared office even work considering attorneys are on calls all the time? Is a shared office something that happens at other big law firms? Do I dare speculate that some firms even have attorneys in cubicles??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”