Diversity and NALP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Diversity and NALP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm

If a large firms most recent NALP form states that they have no lawyers in your diversity group, would it be off-putting to state explicitely in a cover letter that you add diversity?

JHP

Bronze

Re: Diversity and NALP

Post by JHP » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Probably depends on what the firm's view and goal is in the diversity sector. Are they a firm that essentially says "we don't care" or are they vocal about diversity initiatives? Either way, I wouldn't be so blunt as to say "I add diversity." If the first, then probably doesn't matter for you to bring up diversity. If the second, definitely more finesse and subtlety will get the point across with a much better tone. "As a [X]-person" or "As a person of [x background/descent], participating in and supporting conversations regarding diversity continues to be of everyday importance to me, and I look forward to contributing to and driving forward [firm]'s [well-known/robust/other fitting adjective] commitment to diversity." Just thinking off the cuff here, but hopefully you get the point.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm
If a large firms most recent NALP form states that they have no lawyers in your diversity group, would it be off-putting to state explicitely in a cover letter that you add diversity?
Yes. If they have no poc it is because they don't care. You need to learn that firms don't care about diversity. Its all a lie.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:33 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 pm
Yes. If they have no poc it is because they don't care. You need to learn that firms don't care about diversity. Its all a lie.
This is sad but true.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”