Substantial number of hours written off Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Substantial number of hours written off

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Midlevel here. I was going through my invoices and noticed that a third of my hours for a matter were cut, and I’m concerned that may be an issue. Generally, 90-95% of the hours I bill go out, so to see 1/3 of a bill written was was alarming.

I was wondering if I should speak to the senior partner who is the relationship partner for that client.

I spoke with a more senior associate and she said that I shouldn’t worry about it and that it happens sometimes for reasons that don’t have to do with poor work quality. She also said that I probably would have received some clear feedback on my work quality if that were the issue.

Is she right? Should I still go and ask the partner if there is something I should do differently next time to avoid this? My firm doesn’t look at the realization hours/rate for bonus purposes, but I know it is important for advancement.

ChickenSalad

New

Re: Substantial number of hours written off

Post by ChickenSalad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 pm
Midlevel here. I was going through my invoices and noticed that a third of my hours for a matter were cut, and I’m concerned that may be an issue. Generally, 90-95% of the hours I bill go out, so to see 1/3 of a bill written was was alarming.

I was wondering if I should speak to the senior partner who is the relationship partner for that client.

I spoke with a more senior associate and she said that I shouldn’t worry about it and that it happens sometimes for reasons that don’t have to do with poor work quality. She also said that I probably would have received some clear feedback on my work quality if that were the issue.

Is she right? Should I still go and ask the partner if there is something I should do differently next time to avoid this? My firm doesn’t look at the realization hours/rate for bonus purposes, but I know it is important for advancement.
No. Because they’ll just look at your other matters and see a high realization and understand it’s something else, like an institutional client who is cost sensitive on this matter for a particular reason.

Firms care about trends. Your one off thing isn’t a big deal. I might consider trying to work with other partners if this is the first time you’ve worked with him or her. Otherwise I’d forget about it

hdr

Bronze

Re: Substantial number of hours written off

Post by hdr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. This type of thing happens for all sorts of reasons, e.g. a client throws a fit about the bills so the partner writes off a chunk of time. Firms monitor partner write-offs and may penalize partners that do it too frequently; it's not something they want to do so they'll probably tell you if they're writing off time due to your being inefficient.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”