Vault 2021 Predictions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Weil associate here. I think part of the reason for the drop is that Weil is generally viewed among law students as less exclusive (and less prestigious) because there’s a perception that its GPA requirements aren’t as strict as those of its peers. While it’s definitely true that some partners are willing to go for certain candidates with lower GPAs, I think it’s because a lot of people at the firm put more of an emphasis on experience, how a candidate presents themselves, and “fit” than other firms might, which of course isn’t a quantifiable or prestigious gatekeeping metric.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 pm

The whole idea of the Vault Midwest ranking makes no sense. It covers something like twelve significant markets: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, St. Louis, and Kansas City. Hardly any firms are active in more than a few. Is Foley & Lardner, the dominant firm in Wisconsin, more prestigious than Faegre Drinker, the dominant firm in Indiana and a significant one in Minnesota and Iowa, or Jones Day, the dominant firm in Ohio and a significant one in Michigan? Who cares? These firms generally aren't competing with each other.

Edit: Accidental anon, this is Iowahawk

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Incoming Weil associate thinking of killing myself rather than work at a fringe v11

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 pm
Incoming Weil associate thinking of killing myself rather than work at a fringe v11

Please, try having worked here for a few years. My mom, who's not familiar at all with this shit, used to be able to brag to all her friends and co-workers about how I worked at a top 10 law firm. Even when we slipped to #11 I let her keep saying it like eh still close enough, but the fuck am I supposed to tell her now that we're at #12?? "We're almost as good as the place that the Obamas interned at one summer????" End self mode locked and loaded.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 pm

For all the Weil people: is the firm actively hiring people who don’t care that they work at a V20 instead of a V10? I hear the firm is hiring but I can’t see any postings anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 pm
For all the Weil people: is the firm actively hiring people who don’t care that they work at a V20 instead of a V10? I hear the firm is hiring but I can’t see any postings anywhere.

Yeah we've been getting new screening memos like every week or two, mostly our bankruptcy group but also finance and litigation groups. I'd just reach out to recruiting or, better, get someone to refer you if possible.

I'm not exactly sure what the bolded means but if you're asking whether it's still competitive despite being a pathetic V12, I would think so. Most of the new hires were previously at really good firms (especially the new people to the bankruptcy group) or gov agencies and all had relevant experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 pm
For all the Weil people: is the firm actively hiring people who don’t care that they work at a V20 instead of a V10? I hear the firm is hiring but I can’t see any postings anywhere.

Yeah we've been getting new screening memos like every week or two, mostly our bankruptcy group but also finance and litigation groups. I'd just reach out to recruiting or, better, get someone to refer you if possible.

I'm not exactly sure what the bolded means but if you're asking whether it's still competitive despite being a pathetic V12, I would think so. Most of the new hires were previously at really good firms (especially the new people to the bankruptcy group) or gov agencies and all had relevant experience.
Quoted OP. It was just in jest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 pm
Incoming Weil associate thinking of killing myself rather than work at a fringe v11

Please, try having worked here for a few years. My mom, who's not familiar at all with this shit, used to be able to brag to all her friends and co-workers about how I worked at a top 10 law firm. Even when we slipped to #11 I let her keep saying it like eh still close enough, but the fuck am I supposed to tell her now that we're at #12?? "We're almost as good as the place that the Obamas interned at one summer????" End self mode locked and loaded.
I’m just going to tell my mom to say that I’m unemployed, it’s less shameful

Anonymous User
Posts: 351156
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vault 2021 Predictions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 pm
For all the Weil people: is the firm actively hiring people who don’t care that they work at a V20 instead of a V10? I hear the firm is hiring but I can’t see any postings anywhere.

Yeah we've been getting new screening memos like every week or two, mostly our bankruptcy group but also finance and litigation groups. I'd just reach out to recruiting or, better, get someone to refer you if possible.

I'm not exactly sure what the bolded means but if you're asking whether it's still competitive despite being a pathetic V12, I would think so. Most of the new hires were previously at really good firms (especially the new people to the bankruptcy group) or gov agencies and all had relevant experience.
What are the prospects like for DE/SDNY BK clerks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”